CAMERA = REASON TO BUY iPhone 4 (AD-ON CAMERA APPS AND PICS)

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CAMERA APP

• Total voters

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
When it come to photography on the iPhone 4, Camera + app is the best one out there. The only thing it needs is to allow you to edit the effects you add to it such as with the effect "Vibrant" where if you don't want too much vibrant you have an option to reduce the Vibrance or add more Vibrance.

You went with the wise choice in the camera apps. Enjoy using it.
While I like Camera+ for quick edits, if I want control, my first choice is to send the pic over to the iPad and use Filterstorm. That app is an extremely powerful image editor...unfortunately it's not a universal app and there's no iPhone version available. I'd like to find something equivalent for the iPhone, but so far I haven't seen anything.

And of course, any real tweaking goes onto the MBP either into Lightroom or Photoshop. That's where the real fun is. :D

But Camera+ is a pretty decent little app.

One from today, just a casual shot to play with the app...white morning glory, Purple Haze effect and border from Camera+.

Attachments

agjake01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I like processing of how the 2nd picture (the fence) came out.

The first picture seems a little too powerful with the brightness of the grass.

Great overall!
Thanks! Just playing with different filters.. I agree with you on the first pic, a little bright.

I think I'm going to run one picture through a variety of filters and upload it for comparisons. Standby.

adamt56

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
A few pics using the Hipstamatic app. I purchased about 3 of the extra lens packs, fun app.. still prefer Camera+.

The Fire Hydrant was photographed using the Camera+, all others with Hipstamatic. One thing to note if you decide to use Hipstamatic, make sure you change your settings to Hi Res images under your normal settings app, I did not realize it and most of the photos I snapped were Low Res. I will upload a picture of the Hydrant that was taken with Hipstamatic Low Res. One last thing, Hipstamatic will embed your location/date in the photo if you so wish.

Enjoying the pics!
I like the mailbox pic.

TheShoop

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
Just putting in a good word for Hipstamatic. It doesn't offer as much customization as Camera+ but is meant to capture the experience of using an older plastic camera, which were often unpredictable. Still, both awesome apps that truly show off what the iPhone 4's camera is capable of. Here's two of my favorite Hipstamatic shots.

rangtang

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Great stuff all! :) I'm going to have to get the camera+ app I think now for myself. I'm on the fence with hipstamatic because I'm not sure how often I would use it (plus I photoshop). Thank you for this thread, very refreshing!!

agjake01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Camera+ Filter Comparisons

I figured I'd post a few comparisons of the filters available on the Camera+ app. There are about 27 filters available, here are a few of them listed in order from left to right, top to bottom:

Sepia
Fashion
Cross Process
Grunge
Redscale

Attachments

rangtang

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
wow those are really good filters! The grunge one does an incredible amount of manipulation, while keeping the "digital garbage" level low. That seems like a feet in that it's supposed to look trashy, but not THAT kind of trashy.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I figured I'd post a few comparisons of the filters available on the Camera+ app. There are about 27 filters available, here are a few of them listed in order from left to right, top to bottom:

Sepia
Fashion
Cross Process
Grunge
Redscale
Sepia = nice effect but not with that type of picture
Fashion = I Like it a lot! In my favorites.
Cross Process = One of my favorites
Grunge = great effect but it depends on what's in the photo and if it goes well with it. With that said the flag went great with this effect
Redscale = It looks vibrant. I like that

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Just putting in a good word for Hipstamatic. It doesn't offer as much customization as Camera+ but is meant to capture the experience of using an older plastic camera, which were often unpredictable. Still, both awesome apps that truly show off what the iPhone 4's camera is capable of. Here's two of my favorite Hipstamatic shots.

You definitely have me see what you mean. Hipstamatic is great if done right.

agjake01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Camera+ Ansel Filter

Here's the Ansel Adams filter on the fire hydrant. Also added a rough border, showing the versatility of the app.

Attachments

mr lee

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Also if your looking for a free editor in the App Store Try out Mill Colour it really allows you to fine tune pictures if your really into editing. It also has some neat pre-sets as well. :D

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Well just bought Camera+ would be pretty funny if you are the app developer.

agjake01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Well just bought Camera+ would be pretty funny if you are the app developer.
That would be awesome! Unfortunately the only thing I've developed is an addiction to my iPhone 4... so I'm going to keep my day job and keep playing the lotto!

Nice Hipstamatic pics!!

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
What lens and film did you use for those pics?
The first was Lucifer VI with Float film, desaturated in the Photoshop Mobile app. The second is John S with BlacKeys Supergrain, and the third is Helga Viking with BlacKeys Supergrain.

I've attached the original for the first pic.

Attachments

mr lee

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
These were edited with Mill Colour app, similar to Hipstamatic and Camera+ ;)

iKristen

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2009
Cali
I had hipstamatic on my 3G and loved it so I still use it for the IP4. After going through this thread I purchased Camera+ and just LOVE IT! I can't wait to go outside and take pics with this app.

ETA: Went Vegas last week and just edited this pic with the app. I like the way it came out. I used the Camera+ app, and used the faded filter

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
Can the Camera+ app also capture video? If so, it would replace the spot where the default camera app holds on my home screen. Thanks.

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
Well, never mind. Decided to buy it anyway. It doesn't take videos, unfortunately.

So, what does the two-finger focus do? I understand that one of them is "lens" focus, while the other is exposure focus. What does that mean?

don pianta

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Cincinnati
I love Hipstamatic... the only thing I dont like about it is the fact that all of the pictures are square... and i'd like the option to use the iPhone 4's front facing camera... I do, however love all of the different lenses, flashes and films I just with i knew how to correctly pair them together!

eh, oh well... i still got a few good shots (I always just use the "shake for random" so it's fun not knowing how the picture will turn out)

I do like how there's the option to have the full size pictures, because i find that i can use my pictures more readily when they're too big and i can scale them down... rather than risk losing picture quality trying to scale it up

Attachments