Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
But the last update for the Mac Pro was merely the availability of a single chip option (8 core), which is hardly an update at all.

The last real update was a year ago this week wasn't it? :confused:

yes, when it was released

Apple has never released their Pro line of computers with the consumer line. When they released the MacPro last year, it was at WWDC IIRC. Also, they just introduced the quad-core option a few months ago so, if you are hoping for a MacPro update Tuesday you will be out of luck.

-mx

They've also never released a telephone before, nor have they delayed a major OS revision so long, screwing over their mac user base, which has never before been this large.

There are firsts every year.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
They've also never put on such a poor, poor showing at a WWDC as they did this year. Both MacWorld and WWDC sucked. iPhone this, iPhone that. Also re-iterating the same Leopard features at WWDC that he talked about at MacWorld.

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Last Year Mac update
Jan: iMac CD , MacBookPro CD
Mar: Mac mini CD
Apr: MacBook Pro 17" CD
May: MacBook CD
Sep: Mac mini CD
Sep: iMac C2D
Aug: Mac Pro / Xserve
Oct: MacBook Pro C2D
Nov: MacBook C2D

But this year we only have
Apr: MacPro 8-Core option
May: MacBook C2D
Jun: MacBook Pro SR

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Last Year Mac update
Jan: iMac CD , MacBookPro CD
Mar: Mac mini CD
Apr: MacBook Pro 17" CD
May: MacBook CD
Sep: Mac mini CD
Sep: iMac C2D
Aug: Mac Pro / Xserve
Oct: MacBook Pro C2D
Nov: MacBook C2D

But this year we only have
Apr: MacPro 8-Core option
May: MacBook C2D
Jun: MacBook Pro SR

Can't exactly compare a "transition" year from one architecture to another. The fact remains that technology haven't been improved upon much the last year.

But yeah, many of us are sitting on the fence waiting for the next big upgrade. I doubt we get Penryn right away but that would be quite the coupe from Apple, if Intel allowed Apple to get them before any other. Much like the 3.0Ghz Quad-Core Xeon 5365.

deus-ex-mac

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2007
Update or nothing

I have been reading this forum for a while, by the way with the most useful info, trying to make a plan, to alleviate the pain of this endless wait...

The best philosophy explained by many posters here is also the simplest: buy now only if you need it now, wait otherwise.

In my case, I need it now, I have a huge project waiting to be transferred from my good old G4 powerbook. But I refuse to hand the money to apple for 1 year old hardware at 2006 prices, as many have said here. I won't even go to the refurbished mac page -which may be a sensible option for some: I will ebay it, buy second hand, do the job and resell it inmediately.

I understand that apple has been very busy promoting a phone which may be very cool but I wont even consider buying in the next 2 years at least, I understand they are completing the transition to intel-based systems but, my choice is to join the pressure front of consumers who demand a fair deal for their money.

I don't need the next OS upgrade, even though as I've been learning is the next step in multi-core management etc, but I will adopt it as soon as it's
been proven and sufficiently bug-cleaned for what I do. What I need is to see
the available hardware improvements fit into a renewed mac pro line, otherwise I'd be paying money that doesn't relate to what I really get, and that's a no-no situation.

Mac marketing strategists should realize that we are many and that they are losing money every day that goes by without renewing the line.

---------
A 17" Powerbook is not a laptop, it is a mobile workstation :cool:

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Er, except you're not...

he's still correct though

The Intel price drop made the front page of many magazines, it's not like it's a secret that the current prices are too high.

Make no mistake, people ARE waiting to buy. Many, many people.

flappo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
in the cubicles
i'd hardly call 3-4 people on this site a LOT of people waiting , would you ?

in fact it seems peeps post 'i just bought a new pro' quite regularly , even now

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
OK, but that's 6-7 out of over 100,000 MacRumors members...

The number of ACTIVE users is less than a quarter of the 120k signed up here at MR. Hell, the max users ever online at one time was only around 9,000. Let's say the number is 30,000.

What about people who don't post? What about guests? EDIT: I should point out that guests ALWAYS outnumber members. At this moment there are 164 members logged in and over 1200 guests (1200 / 164 = 7.3)

Well, let's assume you're right and mac rumors posts are an accurate measurement (which it is not). That would mean 7 out of 30,000 mac users are waiting for the mac pro.

If there are 22 million mac users worldwide (22,000 / 30) * 7 = 5,100 users waiting. There also a large number of people who will hear about the new specs of the MP and buy one based on that, as opposed to sitting around and waiting for it to be updated. I would conjecture that the 'casual' buyers are going to outnumber people who are waiting. They're going to see the new mac pro specs and decide that they want one.

Again, it is really stupid to say the number of people waiting here on MR are a proportional representation of reality. The reality is that bulk shipments are waiting on the new version as well as the tiny portion of people waiting around here.

The Mac Pro, especially, is bought by PROFESSIONALS. It's a demographics issue: Different people, in general, buy the Mac Pro than buy any other Apple machine.

Most people who are going to buy a mac pro have real professional and social lives and wont spend them posting "OMG I WANNA NEW MAC PRO GIMME" on a forum, especially since it does nothing but pass the time.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
i'd hardly call 3-4 people on this site a LOT of people waiting , would you ?

Add me to the list of "The Waiting."
I belong to three other Mac Forums.
Plenty of people waiting there also.

For me this is all just conversation.
The only thing that is important to me is in four months time or less I will be owner of a new next generation Mac Pro.
That is just conversation for now but in a short period of time that will become a reality and that is all that matters.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Well, I've been camping out at the Apple store here in my town, I want to be the first person tuesday to get the headless iMac in the shorter Mac Pro style case. So far it's been good, just hanging out in my lawn chair all day and reading books. I can't WAIT to be the first one! So I'm with you guys, LETS ROLL!!!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Also Waiting For New Dual Harpertown In Stoakley-Seaburg Mac Pro

Add me to the list of "The Waiting."
I belong to three other Mac Forums.
Plenty of people waiting there also.

For me this is all just conversation.
The only thing that is important to me is in four months time or less I will be owner of a new next generation Mac Pro.
That is just conversation for now but in a short period of time that will become a reality and that is all that matters.
Well I have a very specific Dual Harpertown in a Stoakley-Seaburg logic board Mac Pro target I'm waiting for and I doubt there are only a handful of us given the size of the word of mouth among the Mac Pro's target market. August 7 is the Mac Pro's first birthday. While speculation abounds the Tuesday event is for iMac only, the date is certainly one most Mac Pro owners, watchers and waiters are well aware of. I think it's not an accident Steve & Co. chose that date to unveil what's next.

I have no idea if Mac Pro will be part of the event, it's certainly not out of the question. But part of the question is when will Intel be ready to deliver in quantity the parts Apple is probably waiting for as well. And there are two major events in late September that could be the launch pad for the next Mac Pro as well as the announcement of the launch date for Leopard - the San Francisco Intel Developer's Forum September 18-20 and Paris Apple Expo September 25-29.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Well I have a very specific Dual Harpertown in a Stoakley-Seaburg logic board Mac Pro target...

I'm in the same boat. We need a logic board that can run 8 cores properly. I have a feeling we will see a quiet update to 8-core across the board with Stoakley-Seaburg within the next week or so (especially if we see quad-core imacs) or we wait till Leopard time and the revision is going to be more thorough. (case redesign, etc)

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Now Dell 2GHz Quad Core Kentsfield $799 With Required 19" Monitor

Dell is selling a Quad core desktop for $619 with free shipping:eek:...for

2.4GHz Core 2 Quad-Core Processor
Windows Vista Home Basic
2GB DDR2 Memory
160GB Hard Drive
16x DVD-ROM
No Monitor
128MB nVidia GeForce 8300 GS Video Card

Saw it at dealcatcher.com - Apple has to do something - I wonder how the speed of this would compare to a Mac Pro quad - granted this dell is the desktop single chip quad, but it would be interesting to see.

Apple has to update the specs, go all octo because they are charging quite a premium for the same processing power and worse graphics card and less Ram.

I know it is not Apples to Apples, but that is the technology offered today and consumers have to look at the price/performance when purchasing.
They dropped the speed to 2GHz, added a 19" monitor and dropped the price by $10. Now that 2.4GHz model is $799 with 19" Samsung monitor and Vista Home Basic. Doesn't look so great now. Especially when I notice it won't run OS X Tiger. :rolleyes:

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Well I have a very specific Dual Harpertown in a Stoakley-Seaburg logic board Mac Pro target I'm waiting for...

...there are two major events in late September that could be the launch pad for the next Mac Pro as well as the announcement of the launch date for Leopard - the San Francisco Intel Developer's Forum September 18-20 and Paris Apple Expo September 25-29.

Yes, I remember you talking about the September dates.
I doubt that S/S and Harpertown will be ready by then (sure do hope so though!)
I still can not picture Mac Pro coming out without S/S and Harpertown.
If, big IF Apple brings out some kind of 8-core Mac Pro update (not Seaburg,Stoakley,Harpertown) with a very powerful video card, I'll be tempted to buy it, then and there.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Me Too - New HP 30" $100 Rebate x5 Now 'til Halloween

Yes, I remember you talking about the September dates.
I doubt that S/S and Harpertown will be ready by then (sure do hope so though!)
I still can not picture Mac Pro coming out without S/S and Harpertown.
If, big IF Apple brings out some kind of 8-core Mac Pro update (not Seaburg,Stoakley,Harpertown) with a very powerful video card, I'll be tempted to buy it, then, and there.
Me too. But IF (big if) Apple were able to negotiate early access to all the first units like they did the 3GHz Clovertowns, then perhaps it may happen sooner than later. We just have to be steadfast with our patience. Seems like a new set of video card options would be a weak bone to throw at us. I think I'm going to have to distract myself away from all this focus on waiting and forget about Macs for a little while.

On the other hand there is some good news on the 30" monitor front. HP Just released a 3 month long $100 rebate - up to 5 - on their 30" LP3065 wide color gamut 3x DL DVI input monitors. Includes 2 DL DVI cables too. $1,350 after rebate at Tiger Direct. Tiger Direct has a really cool video on that page that shows you how versatile this 30" monitor is - includes a 5" elevator. And you can claim up to $500 in rebates if you buy 5 of them. DL DVI Port #2 is also HDCP compliant.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Me too. But IF (big if) Apple were able to negotiate early access to all the first units like they did the 3GHz Clovertowns, then perhaps it may happen sooner than later. We just have to be steadfast with our patience. Seems like a new set of video card options would be a weak bone to throw at us. I think I'm going to have to distract myself away from all this focus on waiting and forget about Macs for a little while.

On the other hand there is some good news on the 30" monitor front. HP Just released a 3 month long $100 rebate - up to 5 - on their 30" LP3065 wide color gamut 3x DL DVI input monitors. Includes 2 DL DVI cables too. $1,350 after rebate at Tiger Direct. Tiger Direct has a really cool video on that page that shows you how versatile this 30" monitor is - includes a 5" elevator. And you can claim up to $500 in rebates if you buy 5 of them.

I'd love to have a 30" monitor.
I have to wait until my 21" CRT Sony dies.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.