Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
As I said before, you can't have your cake and eat it to. If we aren't talking about enough users to bother supporting, than why bother supporting downgrades.

The only one talking about "supporting downgrades" is you.

I am talking about "allowing downgrades", which of course is different from "supporting issues resulting from said downgrades". You can do the former without having to do the latter and everybody can win.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Well it is true. But it also show how much Apple takes care their customer. Microsoft supported their OS for long time. They just stopped supporting Windows XP.

It is possible for Apple still support Mac OS X snow leopard, I don't see why they cannot do the same for iOS...

You don't need brig Android support. Yes, majority Android support sucks and Apple excel on that... But that not means Apple is perfect

Microsoft continuing to support xp for so long had major downsides. 1) people are stuck on an old operating system because it's easy to, and then you have a consumer base that's unable to use your new technology, not willing to change rapidly, not learning the benefits of changing rapidly, AND you have to employ hundred of more people and spend xxxxxx times more amount of money keeping things running smoothly. At my work, we were running horrible, slow, clunky old computers with XP because IT wasn't forced out of it. Our efficiency and productivity was far lower than it should have been because microsoft allowed support on an old system for so long (and the corporation behind us is cheap). if Microsoft stopped supporting XP sooner, we would have gotten our machines upgraded sooner, been more in sync with the new tech of the web, been able to get work done faster, etc.

In a world where technology changes so rapidly, it's only beneficial for consumers to be encouraged to change rapidly as well and adapt.

All that said, you still had the freedom and choice to not update, just as I could have kept my clunky XP computer if I wanted to.

----------

Ya, I really hate when people assume that things like software features are the same thing as fundamental human rights. Freedom to choose which version of iOS to use isn't the same thing as freedom of religious expression. It just isn't. As a company, Apple is exercising its freedom to produce its products the way it wants to, so long as they don't violate fundamental human rights. As a consumer, you can exercise the right to buy a smartphone or not, and which model you prefer best. Or start your own company and create a device and OS with every feature YOU like best.

MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU.

Thank you.

----------

I still think I am right and there are people with me... So there you go

whine whine whine whine whine.

you are such a baby.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It is not at same degree, but it is essentially the same. Your freedom had taken away by a corporation,

Why don't you just spit on a vet while you're at it.

This entire thread is offensive and I highly doubt you've even met anyone whose served in uniform or you would be too embarrassed to make this digital mockery of them.

rider96

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
We live in a free society, we are entitled to have choice. You choice whoever is your president, you choice whether Android, iOS, BlackBerry or whatever. We ask for freedom and we see freedom of choice is important part of our society. However, this choice is suddenly not applicable for Apple.

Seriously, I brought the god damn device, I have freedom on destroying it, abuse it, cook it, using it, rollback to older version of iOS, upgrading to newer iOS if I wish to. Why should Apple impose restriction on rolling back to older version? What is the reason behind it? Keep user not rolling back to older version so that it appears everybody are using he latest version of OS?

Yes, some people updated to iOS 7 and yes there are people do not like it. And yes people should read the description before install it. People think the fault is the customer should seriously think for a moment.

If I buy a PC or Mac, I have the freedom on choice my OS... I can install Windows 7, Windows 8 or early Windows XP. I can install Lion, Mountain Lion p, Linux, Windows on my Mac as well. Why should iDevice be any different? I can change just about everything on my Android devices if I am willing to,

Everybody defending Apple on this matter should agree government strip away your freedom of speech, freedom of choice. Because not allowing customer choice whichever versions of iOS is same as take away of my right of choice

There are many, many people that agree with you
https://discussions.apple.com/message/23181056?ac_cid=tw123456#23181056

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
This is macrumours, quite a few people here will justify anything Apple does for any reason no matter how ridiculous it is or no matter how much of a fanboy it makes them.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Well, iDevice us about combination of hardware or software. Yes, it is true. I am not even suggesting on install Android on iDevice and I am sure some people want do that. I am suggesting that user should able to downgrade to early version of iOS that was DESIGNED for that device.

Apple could design phone with non-removable battery, no SD card or whatever, that is fine, but not allow user to rollback to early version is not fine. iOS 6 was designed for iDevice, so user should able to rollback if they DISLIKE iOS 7.

Also, striping my ability of downgrading is as equal as stripping my liberty. Because you don't have the liberty choice in this case. Anything can be small and big at same time.

No, that's like saying to Ferrari, "I want you to sell me a Testarossa", Ferrari would go, "we don't sell that car anymore"

A company is free to sell or distribute anything they want, Apple didn't hold a gun to your head for you to update to iOS 7, and once you click "Agree" that's it.

You are free to update, you are free to go and buy an Android phone, and please, stop it with, "they took away my freedom" I guess you have no idea what FREEDOM is.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
No, that's like saying to Ferrari, "I want you to sell me a Testarossa", Ferrari would go, "we don't sell that car anymore"

A company is free to sell or distribute anything they want, Apple didn't hold a gun to your head for you to update to iOS 7, and once you click "Agree" that's it.

You are free to update, you are free to go and buy an Android phone, and please, stop it with, "they took away my freedom" I guess you have no idea what FREEDOM is.

You are free not to update does not mean you should not give an chance to downgrade. Many people upgrade and find regard the decision, so they want downgrade.

No body can anticipate if any problem will ever occur, if problem does occur, there is no way back.

Apple is free to do whatever they want, but customer also have freedom to demand whatever they want.

----------

Ya, I really hate when people assume that things like software features are the same thing as fundamental human rights. Freedom to choose which version of iOS to use isn't the same thing as freedom of religious expression. It just isn't. As a company, Apple is exercising its freedom to produce its products the way it wants to, so long as they don't violate fundamental human rights. As a consumer, you can exercise the right to buy a smartphone or not, and which model you prefer best. Or start your own company and create a device and OS with every feature YOU like best.

Disallowing me use my right of choice is violation of human right. It might sound small, but it has no difference.

Apple as a company can do whatever they want, in the main time, customer can demand whatever they want as well. Apple could simply ignore customer's request.

As other poster pointed out, there are many people outside this forum demand of ability of downgrade.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
You are free not to update does not mean you should not give an chance to downgrade. Many people upgrade and find regard the decision, so they want downgrade.

No body can anticipate if any problem will ever occur, if problem does occur, there is no way back.

Apple is free to do whatever they want, but customer also have freedom to demand whatever they want.

Demand what you want all you want, but just as you said, Apple is free to do what they want and obviously they are doing just that.

Start your own company, create your own phone and your own operating system. You say you want freedom? Well Apple deserves freedom too, why are you trying to take away Apple's freedom? I think Tim Cook should come to macrumors to start a thread about SakuraSuki is trying to take away his freedom.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
1) So in the same time, they try their best to force people stay on latest OS so they can mocking Android on stage. Seriously, Microsoft does not do that and support multiple OS at same time, I don't see how Apple could not.

2) So instead of making customer happy and offer them ability to restore, you just kick them out of windows and tell them: hey you don't have to choice our product, there are fancy Android out there, go buy then hurry!

1)I tried to downgrade Vista back to XP a few years ago and guess what...I had to repurchase XP for nearly $100. I already owned it, but I had to pay for it again since I didn't have the disk. No OS is perfect, and nobody is obligated to upgrade to iOS 7.
2) Yep...it's just easier for Apple that way and easier for developers as well. Again, why buy an iOS device if you hate Apple so much (as you clearly do given your every comment is an anti-Apple rant)?

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Disallowing me use my right of choice is violation of human right. It might sound small, but it has no difference.

OMFG...seriously **** (S*T*F*U). You're going to compare Apple's policy on iOS downgrades to human rights violations? People in China have their freedom of expression and access to information denied every day...but at least their Android phones can be downgraded to a previous version so I guess it's evens out.

I know I'll hear from the mods about this comment, but honestly don't care. Your comment was beyond stupid and the definition of hyperbole. Way to trivialize the plight of everyone who has ever really had their rights violated.

Last edited:

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
1)I tried to downgrade Vista back to XP a few years ago and guess what...I had to repurchase XP for nearly $100. I already owned it, but I had to pay for it again since I didn't have the disk. No OS is perfect, and nobody is obligated to upgrade to iOS 7.
2) Yep...it's just easier for Apple that way and easier for developers as well. Again, why buy an iOS device if you hate Apple so much (as you clearly do given your every comment is an anti-Apple rant)?

1) You don't have to repurchase XP for nearly $100. Downloading .iso from internet is not illegal and all you need to do is download the .iso and create bootable DVD. What is illegal is that you install XP without licensee. If you have the serial number, you don't need to buy other copy of XP. It is your fault for buying other copy.

2) I keep saying that I am not obligated to upgrade to iOS 7 does not mean my ability of downgrade should be strip away.

3) Most developer willing to support multiple version of iOS, since there are people who using old devices and most of app in app store do support from iOS 5 to iOS 7.

4) I buy Apple device because of the hardware, not the software. It just happen to that I could not load Android to iPad. I never said Apple sucks nor I said Apple should fail. All I am express is my disappointments on Apple's iOS and frustration.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011

Like I said, how can you buy/install/use something that a company no longer sells/distributes/supports.

And yes, demand whatever you want, that doesn't mean that Apple will invest millions of dollars to support iOS 6 just so you can be happy and go back whenever you want.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
OMFG...seriously **** (S*T*F*U). You're going to compare Apple's policy on iOS downgrades to human rights violations? People in China have their freedom of expression and access to information denied every day...but at least their Android phones can be downgraded to a previous version so I guess it's evens out.

I know I'll hear from the mods about this comment, but honestly don't care. Your comment was beyond stupid and the definition of hyperbole. Way to trivialize the plight of everyone who has ever really had their rights violated.

Now you bring China in to the play. People in China has every right access information. Just go to any Chinese forum, there are plenty discussion.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Now you bring China in to the play. People in China has every right access information. Just go to any Chinese forum, there are plenty discussion.

Start your own company, create your own phone and your own operating system. You say you want freedom? Well Apple deserves freedom too, why are you trying to take away Apple's freedom? I think Tim Cook should come to macrumors to start a thread about SakuraSuki is trying to take away his freedom.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
1) You don't have to repurchase XP for nearly $100. Downloading .iso from internet is not illegal and all you need to do is download the .iso and create bootable DVD. What is illegal is that you install XP without licensee. If you have the serial number, you don't need to buy other copy of XP. It is your fault for buying other copy.

The Microsoft rep I spoke to made it clear that I need to repurchase XP.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

Yeah...that's why some many content providers are required to censor their content. Google was effectively booted out of the country for allowing uncensored search results.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Like I said, how can you buy/install/use something that a company no longer sells/distributes/supports.

And yes, demand whatever you want, that doesn't mean that Apple will invest millions of dollars to support iOS 6 just so you can be happy and go back whenever you want.

There is .ipsw file flow on internet and Apple still distributes old iOS to older devices.

So old iOS is not gone or no longer distributed, it is Apple set rule on which devices can get older version.

Apple does not need invest million of dollars support iOS 6, they just does not. There are people with older device with older version of iOS, Apple doesn't even provide any support to iOS 6.

Also, it is not 50% of people will suddenly downgrading to iOS 6. If there is 50% of people downgrading, then Apple need better support iOS 6, because majority of people does not approve iOS 7

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
There is .ipsw file flow on internet and Apple still distributes old iOS to older devices.

So old iOS is not gone or no longer distributed, it is Apple set rule on which devices can get older version.

Apple does not need invest million of dollars support iOS 6, they just does not. There are people with older device with older version of iOS, Apple doesn't even provide any support to iOS 6.

Also, it is not 50% of people will suddenly downgrading to iOS 6. If there is 50% of people downgrading, then Apple need better support iOS 6, because majority of people does not approve iOS 7

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

We all agree with that. Our point is, either deal with it (cause it's not going to change) or use another phone.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012

----------

Apple as a company can do whatever they want, in the main time, customer can demand whatever they want as well. Apple could simply ignore customer's request.

As other poster pointed out, there are many people outside this forum demand of ability of downgrade.

Embarrassing post. I'm not saying I don't understand people's frustration and disappointment, I do... Even though I prefer ios 7, I can see how some would not. But your viewpoint is honestly just disturbing and hopefully not representative of society's view of what a human right is. If it is, we all have much much bigger problems than phone firmware.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Yeah...that's why some many content providers are required to censor their content. Google was effectively booted out of the country for allowing uncensored search results.

This is so funny. Chinese government did not strip away Google's operation in China. Google's withdraw from China just simply their choice. Then they made themselves as victim of China's censorship.

Google itself is not clean. Google should seriously consider clean their ass before attacking other country.

----------

Embarrassing post. I'm not saying I don't understand people's frustration and disappointment, I do... Even though I prefer ios 7, I can see how some would not. But your viewpoint is honestly just disturbing and hopefully not representative of society's view of what a human right is. If it is, we all have much much bigger problems than phone firmware.

No, I do agree there are much bigger problems than phone firmware. But at core, there is no difference.

Freedom is freedom, there is no bigger freedom or small freedom. If my freedom of choice being taken away, then one aspect of freedom being take away.

It is like saying who kills more: chemical weapon or nuclear weapon. Killing is killing, there is no good killing or bad killing.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
This is so funny. Chinese government did not strip away Google's operation in China. Google's withdraw from China just simply their choice. Then they made themselves as victim of China's censorship.

Google itself is not clean. Google should seriously consider clean their ass before attacking other country.

----------

No, I do agree there are much bigger problems than phone firmware. But at core, there is no difference.

Freedom is freedom, there is no bigger freedom or small freedom. If my freedom of choice being taken away, then one aspect of freedom being take away.

It is like saying who kills more: chemical weapon or nuclear weapon. Killing is killing, there is no good killing or bad killing.

Ok, well take a look at the EULA that you agreed to, and tell me exactly where your "rights" were violated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.