Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
USA will get the most, but we won't be 'sharing' with them. Apple allocates a certain percentage to each country and none of us know what those percentages are.
Are you sure about that? I'm thinking in North America for pre-orders it's first come, first served. The SKU that we're getting will be the same as what's being sold by T-Mobile and AT&T (the delta being that the Americans are forced to activate them with a Carrier contract, so it's SIM locked).

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Are you sure about that? I'm thinking in North America for pre-orders it's first come, first served. The SKU that we're getting will be the same as what's being sold by T-Mobile and AT&T (the delta being that the Americans are forced to activate them with a Carrier contract, so it's SIM locked).
75% of stock for NA is probably going for US

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Yea, Canada demand should be lower than, UK, USA, many countries in Asia. I've never seen someone with Airpods yet, and even AW is rare, maybe seen once a month.
Heh....you don't think that's because how "dorky" AirPods look when you're wearing them? :) Yes, I have a pair. No, I don't wear them anywhere except maybe walking in the park. (love having them at home for conference calls though).
They're no good for me at the gym - I sweat too much - so I use my PowerBeats 2's at the gym.

A friend of mine that also has an Apple Watch also just upgraded to the AW3 (yesterday) - he said the staff at the Apple Store said it's insane how many Apple Watches they're selling right now. So, I'd expect to see a lot more of them out in the wild very soon!!!
[doublepost=1509036831][/doublepost]
75% of stock for NA is probably going for US
That's just because of their population. It's luck of the draw. Our shipments come out of the US for the most part (either broken up in Alaska or their distribution centre in Tennessee).

They're still almost 10x our population....I'd expect the majority of the orders to be south of the border. :)

Edit: The only thing that should really be set should be the numbers that they're shipping to each store. I'm sure they have those ratio's locked in (it'll be based on store volumes - the busiest stores will get more allocation) - and that will likely vary based on the number of pre-orders they get tonight (but, they'll definitely have a minimum number they're allocating to the stores).

Last edited:

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
Oh i absolutely wouldn't know either way for sure. I would just think that under those circumstances (given how hungry the demand is in the US), there may be a scenario where Canadians get next to none at launch. You may be right though, i honestly have no idea how they distribute their product geographically.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Oh i absolutely wouldn't know either way for sure. I would just think that under those circumstances (given how hungry the demand is in the US), there may be a scenario where Canadians get next to none at launch. You may be right though, i honestly have no idea how they distribute their product geographically.
Well, in recent times, it seems that it's first-come, first-served for device shipments (in North America at least). Regions that have different SKU's than the US have a tougher time of it. We've had threads with people comparing order times with shipping dates and it seems we're given the same priority as the Americans.

I think the iPhone is less popular up here due to what happened with BlackBerry and that BB went Android. I think that sent a lot of people Android's way (and I think a lot of people, mistakenly, blame Apple for the demise of BlackBerry).

Reactions: haqsha23

more fps

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Ottawa
Well, in recent times, it seems that it's first-come, first-served for device shipments (in North America at least). Regions that have different SKU's than the US have a tougher time of it. We've had threads with people comparing order times with shipping dates and it seems we're given the same priority as the Americans.

I think the iPhone is less popular up here due to what happened with BlackBerry and that BB went Android. I think that sent a lot of people Android's way (and I think a lot of people, mistakenly, blame Apple for the demise of BlackBerry).
I see much more iPhones users than Android, I don't think people care that much about bb. Many bb users I know switched to ios instead of Android. This might depend on regions also.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga

That would be great as we'll have access to the largest number of stock worldwide (by a significant margin). I've noticed that iPhone's are more popular among the older and younger generations, both of which i see having a hard time stomaching the cost of the phone and all that goes along with it. Remember, most smartphone plans in Canada start at $100 after tax nowadays, its insane. Luckily I'm on a business plan.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I see much more iPhones users than Android, I don't think people care that much about bb. Many bb users I know switched to ios instead of Android. This might depend on regions also.
Heh....very true. :) Here in Waterloo, there's much more Android (and still a lot of people sporting BlackBerry devices...even though they haven't been made by them for a few years now).
[doublepost=1509040511][/doublepost]
That would be great as we'll have access to the largest number of stock worldwide (by a significant margin). I've noticed that iPhone's are more popular among the older and younger generations, both of which i see having a hard time stomaching the cost of the phone and all that goes along with it. Remember, most smartphone plans in Canada start at $100 after tax nowadays, its insane. Luckily I'm on a business plan.
Yeah, I'm lucky I have a loyalty plan I squeezed out of Fido. Unfortunately, I can't light up the LTE side of my watch until Rogers enables eSIM provisioning on their network (next year it seems).

Rogers seems to be on a big anti-Apple kick lately - not launching the Apple Watch 3 and not launching the X on Fido.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
Heh....very true. :) Here in Waterloo, there's much more Android (and still a lot of people sporting BlackBerry devices...even though they haven't been made by them for a few years now).
[doublepost=1509040511][/doublepost]
Yeah, I'm lucky I have a loyalty plan I squeezed out of Fido. Unfortunately, I can't light up the LTE side of my watch until Rogers enables eSIM provisioning on their network (next year it seems).

Rogers seems to be on a big anti-Apple kick lately - not launching the Apple Watch 3 and not launching the X on Fido.
Rogers executives have often said that they don't like having to discount iphones as part of only a 2 year contract. The other phones are given to Rogers on way better pricing terms whereby they make a ton more money off of it.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I wish the carriers would let Apple bring the iPhone Upgrade Program to Canada. That would take the sting out of our exchange rates for a lot of people.

(Eg. iPhone X 64GB with Apple Care+ and HST is $1772 - but that's only $74 a month on IUP) :)

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I wish the carriers would let Apple bring the iPhone Upgrade Program to Canada. That would take the sting out of our exchange rates for a lot of people.

(Eg. iPhone X 64GB with Apple Care+ and HST is $1772 - but that's only $74 a month on IUP) :)
Only $1772? It's $1804 for me . . .

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Only $1772? It's $1804 for me . . .
Ah, you're getting the 256, but not getting AC+.

I'm going to run it naked....so pretty much have to get AC+ :)

Be the first time since my 3Gs days that I'll not have a case on my iPhone.

Edit: A little concerned over the 64GB of space though. I heard one minute of 4k video on the 8+ takes 1.5GB. That's going to limit a lot of people's ability to enjoy the capabilities of this camera for video with the smaller storage footprint.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Canada

No I'm getting the 64GB with AC+ , it's just the f tax, we have 15% :mad:

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
No I'm getting the 64GB with AC+ , it's just the f tax, we have 15% :mad:
Wow! I didn't realize that the HST wasn't standardized across the board. That's just nasty!! :(

If stock of this phone wasn't a problem, I was going to wait and do a road trip to Delaware (one of the states with no sales tax). Between the premium that Apple charges for exchange and the lack of sales tax, I was looking at a 20% savings when our dollar was 80 cents.

But, I don't think there's going to be stock of these until the spring by the sounds of things.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga

Edit: A little concerned over the 64GB of space though. I heard one minute of 4k video on the 8+ takes 1.5GB. That's going to limit a lot of people's ability to enjoy the capabilities of this camera for video with the smaller storage footprint.
I would love to keep the phone naked but I'm completely OCD and hate even the most minimal hairline scratches on my devices. Also I would like to save the money on applecare as i plan to sell the phone in August, so case it is for me.

Regarding the space, it is completely individual-dependent. I barely use any storage on my 16GB as is right now (still have 8GB open space), so 64 for me is good enough. If I start taking a lot of videos I'll just transfer them to my hard drive or put them in a cloud and delete them from the phone.
[doublepost=1509042276][/doublepost]
Wow! I didn't realize that the HST wasn't standardized across the board. That's just nasty!! :(

If stock of this phone wasn't a problem, I was going to wait and do a road trip to Delaware (one of the states with no sales tax). Between the premium that Apple charges for exchange and the lack of sales tax, I was looking at a 20% savings when our dollar was 80 cents.

But, I don't think there's going to be stock of these until the spring by the sounds of things.
No, HST is for Ontario. Harmonized sales tax is the combination of the federal tax rate (5%) along with the applicable provincial tax rate (which in Ontario is 8%). Lovetomacrumor's province must have a 10% provincial tax rate.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017

An hour is about 10,200mb (pretty much 10gb) of 4K 30 (according to what it tells me what 1 min equals on my 7+) So 4K 60 should be a considerable increase from there.

If 4K is of interest, then 64gb would not really suffice.
07EC4CE4-9F73-442D-9235-BE85292E6176.jpeg

[doublepost=1509042468][/doublepost]

I could see Canada getting the IUP program finally in 2018. Since carriers will no longer be allowed to lock devices.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I would love to keep the phone naked but I'm completely OCD and hate even the most minimal hairline scratches on my devices. Also I would like to save the money on applecare as i plan to sell the phone in August, so case it is for me.

Regarding the space, it is completely individual-dependent. I barely use any storage on my 16GB as is right now (still have 8GB open space), so 64 for me is good enough. If I start taking a lot of videos I'll just transfer them to my hard drive or put them in a cloud and delete them from the phone.
[doublepost=1509042276][/doublepost]
No, HST is for Ontario. Harmonized sales tax is the combination of the federal tax rate (5%) along with the applicable provincial tax rate (which in Ontario is 8%). Lovetomacrumor's province must have a 10% provincial tax rate.
I've liked the smaller phones (had a 5s for the longest time) - didn't know what Apple was going to do for the SE, so I finally caved and got a 6s. But, I've really resented Apple putting the better camera in the + sized phone. I don't want a damn iPhad!!! GRRR!!!

With the X, I plan on being much more of a shutterbug again. Used to be a lot more into photography, the convenience of having a great camera in your phone will be pretty awesome again.

As for the HST...yes, I know what it stands for....and what the intent was....but I was under the impression that rates were being standardized as a compromise (to boost the economy of provinces that previously had higher rates).
[doublepost=1509042813][/doublepost]
An hour is about 10,200mb (pretty much 10gb) of 4K 30 (according to what it tells me what 1 min equals on my 7+) So 4K 60 should be a considerable increase from there.

View attachment 727517

I could see Canada getting the IUP program finally in 2018. Since carriers will no longer be allowed to lock devices.
Well, it's not just the FPS, it's also the bitrate used for the encoding. Pretty sure these support H.265 encoding, so that should help immensely. I guess it would be somewhat ironic if Apple did use a high bitrate for their iPhone video encoding, considering how low their iTunes bitrates are. :)

I am really surprised that Apple hasn't pushed the IUP out globally....it would make a massive difference in their market share.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
FWIW regarding recording at 4K - the iPhone 8 shows 1 minute of video at 4K60 to be 400MB.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Canada

View attachment 727517

256gb would cost me over $2000 :( that is a barrier i do not wish to go past

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
FWIW regarding recording at 4K - the iPhone 8 shows 1 minute of video at 4K60 to be 400MB.
Thanks! :) Found an article on it - same value you've given.

A quote from the article on iMore: "In fact, 60FPS 4K is such a space hog that Apple won't let you shoot in it without turning on HEVC to save your storage."

The full article if anyone wants to peruse: https://www.imore.com/how-shoot-trim-edit-and-share-4k-video-iphone

So, I don't quite understand why someone posted that 4k on the 8+ took 1.5GB for 1 minute. That's obviously not true!! (and now I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief on my choice to get a 64GB) :)

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017

So roughly 24gb per hour
[doublepost=1509044980][/doublepost]
256gb would cost me over $2000 :( that is a barrier i do not wish to go past

In Alberta I’ll be able to get (with trade ins included) two 256gb iPhone X’s for less than the full cost of a 64gb iPhone X.

That’s with a 2 year contract. Not everyone is willing to sign up for those though. Personally doesn’t bother me, because I’m paying for cell service anyways. Might as well pay less upfront on the phones.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
So roughly 24gb per hour
[doublepost=1509044980][/doublepost]

In Alberta I’ll be able to get (with trade ins included) two 256gb iPhone X’s for less than the full cost of a 64gb iPhone X.

That’s with a 2 year contract. Not everyone is willing to sign up for those though. Personally doesn’t bother me, because I’m paying for cell service anyways. Might as well pay less upfront on the phones.
You guys get WAY better pricing on cell plans out there though (if Alberta's anything like Saskatchewan and Manitoba).

Those of us here with really good plans have to hold onto them for dear life (the carriers are always trying to get you to make a change and "Whoops, your plan isn't offered anymore" :) Sneaky bastages.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.