Cannot set up cellular on Series 3: Says AT&T not supported

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by NJRonbo, Sep 22, 2017.

1. nippyjun macrumors 65816

dave006. On the iphone under the wi-fi calling section, is a section that says: "calls on other devices". Does that need to be turned on?

2. bsb7140, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

bsb7140 macrumors member

bsb7140

I can send and receive calls to my iPhone number.... but when I call my watch phone number, it also rings. So as I have long suspected it was a NumberSync issue. How can this be fixed WITHOUT having to try and re-activate the watch? Remove plan and add plan to do the NumberSync setup again?

3. dave006, Sep 28, 2017

dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes On Apple Watch, Wi-Fi Calling turns on when Calls on Other Devices is enabled your iPhone. Go to Settings >Phone >Calls on Other Devices to check or set.

Dave
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2017 ---
    OK You are my test victim aka volunteer, here is the first part to just "Remove" NumberSync from your Watch.

To remove NumberSync from your Watch:

1. Log in to myAT&T
    2. Expand the Wireless view, and select the picture of the iPhone numberyou want to remove NumberSync.
    3. Under device options, select Manage NumberSync.
    4. In the Synced wearables section, select the Apple Watch Series 3 that you want to unsync.
    5. To remove NumberSync from the Apple Watch Series 3, press Unsync this device next to the watch you want to unsync.
    6. A popup will appear asking if you’re sure that you want to remove the service.
    7. When successfully removed, you’ll see a screen stating You’ve successfully removed your device.​

Removing NumberSync service will remove the ability for you Watch to use Cellular service. Your watch will stay on your plan ($10 plan), and any monthly reoccurring charges will continue. In your case, this is a good thing since we want to simple reuse the number and plan again.

Dave
    OK I think you will have to delete each one but here is the link to the steps that I just added, right above this post.

Link: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ies-3-says-at-t-not-supported.2070565/page-31

Dave

4. TomH TX macrumors regular

@Dave: first of all, thank you SO much for all of your time and effort. I am hoping to receive my AW3 next week. I have literally read every post of every page of this thread, and have a question about which I am confused. I am an att business premier customer for a small business of which I am the owner. I have NO access to "myatt", and have to go through the premier website. While I had hoped that following your suggestions might allow me to do the number synch and get it activated, every time I see a reference to having to access "myatt" to do anything I cringe. Is it possible to accomplish the activation via the premier site? Thank you. Tom

5. bsb7140 macrumors member

bsb7140

Their new website is ABSOLUTELY horrible!

6. nippyjun macrumors 65816

nippyjun said:
    dave006. On the iphone under the wi-fi calling section, is a section that says: "calls on other devices". Does that need to be turned on?
    Yes On Apple Watch, Wi-Fi Calling turns on when Calls on Other Devices is enabled your iPhone. Go to Settings >Phone >Calls on Other Devices to check or set.

dave006: I don' see my watch in the list of other devices. Should it be there? And for all the devices that are listed there can I turn them off and it not affect my watch?

7. dave006, Sep 28, 2017

dave006 Contributor

dave006

Another great question. Since you are a Business "Premier" customer with business lines that you pay for as a business entity. You will not have to use myAT&T. However, you will have to your existing Premier portal which may be good news or bad news when you need help.

Keep following this thread at least until you get your new AW3 up and running.

Dave
    No, it will not be listed but as discussed above, as long as Allow Calls from Other Devices is "On", Wi-Fi calling is on for your watch. You can manage each device in the list.

Dave

8. TomH TX macrumors regular

9. KPOM macrumors G5

If AT&T sweeps my plan and tries to force me to a Mobile Share or new Unlimited I’ll just cancel the Wearable. They can have my extra $120 or not. If they try to cancel my GUDP I’ll just cancel outright.

10. dave006, Sep 28, 2017

dave006 Contributor

dave006

That is not very likely to happen, think about 0.0009% chance as I will not say that it will never happen. AT&T does have to right to determine that you are no longer eligible for your current plan.

If you become ineligible, AT&T may move you to a different plan with same or lower monthly charge. Once moved, you can move to any currently available plan at any time. Unlimited Data, Tethering, Unlimited Talk, and Unlimited Text: Same speeds, terms, conditions, restrictions and limitations as Your Single Line plan.

Dave

11. nippyjun macrumors 65816

--- Post Merged, Today at 6:25 PM ---

dave006: I don' see my watch in the list of other devices. Should it be there? And for all the devices that are listed there can I turn them off and it not affect my watch?
    No, it will not be listed but as discussed above, as long as Allow Calls from Other Devices is "On", Wi-Fi calling is on for your watch. You can manage each device in the list.

Dave

Does the iPhone need to be connected to wifi and or cellular for wifi calling from the Apple Watch to work. This is assuming the Watch and phone are not near each other.

12. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No, your iPhone does not need to be near or even powered on.

To manage Wi-Fi Calling on your Apple Watch, go to the Watch App on your iPhone, tap My Watch, tap Phone, then turn off/on Wi-Fi Calling.

Dave

13. Dallious macrumors member

Went to ATT corporate at 3 pm today and he set up my watch on my grandfathered data unlimited plan with nation 450 talk and it went great. Walked out with everything working and went home and check account online and shows new 10 dollar wearable unlimited line, took the unopened watch to him and let him setup new line and unbox watch and set it up right there, couldn't be happier

14. HeadphoneAddict macrumors regular

HeadphoneAddict

I wonder why we can't have "text message forwarding" work to use SMS on the AW with the phone off, like we can our Mac or iPads?

15. bradbomb macrumors regular

I believe that texts to my Mac or iPad only come through with my phone on and connected to a network

16. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Careful there, your Mac or iPad require your iPhone to be on and on the same Wi-Fi network.

Dave

17. bradbomb macrumors regular

I don't think it requires the same Wi-Fi network. When I've had my laptop on wifi at a hotel or starbucks and keep my phone on LTE, I believe I was still able to send and receive SMS from them. I will double check tomorrow. I'll have my phone with me at work and I'll VNC into my Mac Mini at home and see if I'm able to send an SMS

18. nippyjun, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

nippyjun macrumors 65816

Does the iPhone need to be connected to wifi and or cellular for wifi calling from the Apple Watch to work. This is assuming the Watch and phone are not near each other.
    No, your iPhone does not need to be near or even powered on.

To manage Wi-Fi Calling on your Apple Watch, go to the Watch App on your iPhone, tap My Watch, tap Phone, then turn off/on Wi-Fi Calling.

Dave

dave006:

Interesting. I don't have the option to turn on/off wifi calling in the phone section in the Watch app. Is this an ATT thing?
    I have wifi calling turned on for the phone in the phone settings as well as allowing other devices to wifi call.

I have an iPhone 6.

19. ChewbaccaJ macrumors newbie

Again, this is the best Forum site with Dave and the great community of people helping others!!! Thanks since I’m newbie and don’t always understand this.

Is it still worth going to a local Corp. AT&T store to try & get activated on an old grandfathered unlimited plan? Also, I had gone Monday based on my very limited understanding from this site early on. The guy at this Corp. AT&T store, I didn’t have my box with me (my bad), set up a $10 Unlimited on my old plan GUP, that I saw confirmation on a print out he gave me, just using codes off my Watch app. I had already unpaired my husband’s and my old watches and paired the new before I went. My watch (didn’t do his line) had its own number, but it showed under the MyAT&T app as a different device (in this case an iPhone 6Plus) and the rep. didn’t take me back to the watch app for me to go to cellular, but instead he kept trying to get me to do something thru the AT&T app with User ID or something and I panicked since he wasn’t sure. I went home that day and talked to an AT&T phone rep who said there was no way I have to change plans so I said No and had a manager take the new Unlimited Apple Watch Plan off so there’s no charge. I saw this line was in fact taken off when I looked back at my app. The manager said if I want to use the watches and change to an unlimited plan that line is still there and can be reactivated. When I go to my watch app under cellular besides there being the normal “set up cellular” below it it says “NOT IN USE” and under that “AT&T” with the info circle and when I tap on it it says “Remove AT&T Plan or Cancel” so I hit cancel.

Questions -
    -Knowing more step by steps from you Dave do I print that out and go back and try it again and hope that door hasn’t been shut this time taking both boxes (I won’t, however, have my husband‘s watch with me which he will have with him, both of these already paired)?
    -Do I delete this thing under the watch app, under cellular, that says remove plan before I go or at all for that matter?
    -since it’s both of us under one account, if the store rep is successful, I can just go under each one of iPhones and go the the watch app and hit cellular and it will try the number sync from there?

20. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I do not have that option. Are you sure that's where it's located? I basically have a mirror my iphone option with sound/haptic option.

21. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Same on mine. There isn't a turn on wifi calling section in the Watch app in the phone section.

22. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

Same with mine

23. KPOM macrumors G5

It’s in the iPhone Cellular Settings.

24. Hillshock macrumors member

Libby55- dave006’s post on page 3 made it an easy process at the AT&T store.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2017 ---
    Thanks so much Dave!

25. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Where?