Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Messaging

If you would like to receive SMS/MMS messages and iMessages on your watch, you’ll need to ensure the following have been set up on your iPhone:
  • iMessage is enabled.
  • NumberSync is enabled (allows access to AT&T cellular network to receive messages on your watch when away from your iPhone).
  • For SMS/MMS, your iPhone will need to be powered on and have a connection to the AT&T cellular network, or via a Wi-Fi connection (with Wi-Fi calling enabled on iPhone which requires HD Voice aka VoLTE (voice & data)).
Dave

dave006. On the iphone under the wi-fi calling section, is a section that says: "calls on other devices". Does that need to be turned on?

bsb7140

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
Can you make cellular calls from your watch? Can you receive cellular calls to your watch? If you can make cellular calls but cannot receive cellular calls then NumberSync is not correct. To test this turn your phone off! go and find a cellular signal with your watch and make a call to it from a non-imessage/non-facetime device so you know that the call could not be affected by iCloud. My guess is you don't get this call.

Also try calling your new Watch number directly. If your watch rings then you have an error in NumberSync. You should get a voice mail box not set up message. Turn your watch and phone off. Call your iPhone number. It should go direct to VoiceMail.
I can send and receive calls to my iPhone number.... but when I call my watch phone number, it also rings. So as I have long suspected it was a NumberSync issue. How can this be fixed WITHOUT having to try and re-activate the watch? Remove plan and add plan to do the NumberSync setup again?

Last edited:

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
dave006. On the iphone under the wi-fi calling section, is a section that says: "calls on other devices". Does that need to be turned on?
Yes On Apple Watch, Wi-Fi Calling turns on when Calls on Other Devices is enabled your iPhone. Go to Settings >Phone >Calls on Other Devices to check or set.

Dave
[doublepost=1506641559][/doublepost]
I can send and receive calls to my iPhone number.... but when I call my watch phone number, it also rings. So as I have long suspected it was a NumberSync issue. How can this be fixed WITHOUT having to try and re-activate the watch? Remove plan and add plan to do the NumberSync setup again?
OK You are my test victim aka volunteer, here is the first part to just "Remove" NumberSync from your Watch.

To remove NumberSync from your Watch:

1. Log in to myAT&T
2. Expand the Wireless view, and select the picture of the iPhone numberyou want to remove NumberSync.
3. Under device options, select Manage NumberSync.
4. In the Synced wearables section, select the Apple Watch Series 3 that you want to unsync.
5. To remove NumberSync from the Apple Watch Series 3, press Unsync this device next to the watch you want to unsync.
6. A popup will appear asking if you’re sure that you want to remove the service.
7. When successfully removed, you’ll see a screen stating You’ve successfully removed your device.​

Removing NumberSync service will remove the ability for you Watch to use Cellular service. Your watch will stay on your plan ($10 plan), and any monthly reoccurring charges will continue. In your case, this is a good thing since we want to simple reuse the number and plan again.

Dave
[doublepost=1506642243][/doublepost]
I wanted to show you what I was referring to about the devices under change NumberSync address
OK I think you will have to delete each one but here is the link to the steps that I just added, right above this post.

Link: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ies-3-says-at-t-not-supported.2070565/page-31

Dave

Last edited:

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
@Dave: first of all, thank you SO much for all of your time and effort. I am hoping to receive my AW3 next week. I have literally read every post of every page of this thread, and have a question about which I am confused. I am an att business premier customer for a small business of which I am the owner. I have NO access to "myatt", and have to go through the premier website. While I had hoped that following your suggestions might allow me to do the number synch and get it activated, every time I see a reference to having to access "myatt" to do anything I cringe. Is it possible to accomplish the activation via the premier site? Thank you. Tom

Reactions: dave006

bsb7140

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
@Dave: first of all, thank you SO much for all of your time and effort. I am hoping to receive my AW3 next week. I have literally read every post of every page of this thread, and have a question about which I am confused. I am an att business premier customer for a small business of which I am the owner. I have NO access to "myatt", and have to go through the premier website. While I had hoped that following your suggestions might allow me to do the number synch and get it activated, every time I see a reference to having to access "myatt" to do anything I cringe. Is it possible to accomplish the activation via the premier site? Thank you. Tom
Their new website is ABSOLUTELY horrible!

Reactions: FreeState

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
nippyjun said:
Yes On Apple Watch, Wi-Fi Calling turns on when Calls on Other Devices is enabled your iPhone. Go to Settings >Phone >Calls on Other Devices to check or set.

dave006: I don' see my watch in the list of other devices. Should it be there? And for all the devices that are listed there can I turn them off and it not affect my watch?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
@Dave: first of all, thank you SO much for all of your time and effort. I am hoping to receive my AW3 next week.... Is it possible to accomplish the activation via the premier site? Thank you. Tom
Another great question. Since you are a Business "Premier" customer with business lines that you pay for as a business entity. You will not have to use myAT&T. However, you will have to your existing Premier portal which may be good news or bad news when you need help.

Keep following this thread at least until you get your new AW3 up and running.

Dave
[doublepost=1506648345][/doublepost]
dave006: I don' see my watch in the list of other devices. Should it be there? And for all the devices that are listed there can I turn them off and it not affect my watch?
No, it will not be listed but as discussed above, as long as Allow Calls from Other Devices is "On", Wi-Fi calling is on for your watch. You can manage each device in the list.

Dave

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Just talked to AT&T for another 45m. Agent stated my EID was already in use and had to get another person on the phone. Other person said they saw quite a few reserved lines on the account and need to clear them out, but stated that my plan is not compatible.

They said they had just received training an hour ago that stated the Nation plans with unlimited are not supported for the Apple Watch. I stated that must be policy based and not based on technical limitations as others have the watch working with the Nation plans. Their response was both policy and technical and the system will sweep for those that are activated on unsupported plans.

For me, it would cost $30/mo. to switch plans and add the watch due to my FAN discount. It just isn't worth it.

tl;dr Those of you that have grandfathered UDP w/Nation plans working with the Apple Watch, you're lucky. It appears AT&T is closing the door on the $10 unlimited wearable plan and the GUDP via ongoing training.
If AT&T sweeps my plan and tries to force me to a Mobile Share or new Unlimited I’ll just cancel the Wearable. They can have my extra $120 or not. If they try to cancel my GUDP I’ll just cancel outright.

Reactions: ChewbaccaJ

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
If AT&T sweeps my plan and tries to force me to a Mobile Share or new Unlimited I’ll just cancel the Wearable. They can have my extra $120 or not. If they try to cancel my GUDP I’ll just cancel outright.
That is not very likely to happen, think about 0.0009% chance as I will not say that it will never happen. AT&T does have to right to determine that you are no longer eligible for your current plan.

If you become ineligible, AT&T may move you to a different plan with same or lower monthly charge. Once moved, you can move to any currently available plan at any time. Unlimited Data, Tethering, Unlimited Talk, and Unlimited Text: Same speeds, terms, conditions, restrictions and limitations as Your Single Line plan.

Dave

Last edited:

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
--- Post Merged, Today at 6:25 PM ---

No, it will not be listed but as discussed above, as long as Allow Calls from Other Devices is "On", Wi-Fi calling is on for your watch. You can manage each device in the list.

Dave

Does the iPhone need to be connected to wifi and or cellular for wifi calling from the Apple Watch to work. This is assuming the Watch and phone are not near each other.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Does the iPhone need to be connected to wifi and or cellular for wifi calling from the Apple Watch to work. This is assuming the Watch and phone are not near each other.
No, your iPhone does not need to be near or even powered on.

To manage Wi-Fi Calling on your Apple Watch, go to the Watch App on your iPhone, tap My Watch, tap Phone, then turn off/on Wi-Fi Calling.

Dave

Dallious

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Went to ATT corporate at 3 pm today and he set up my watch on my grandfathered data unlimited plan with nation 450 talk and it went great. Walked out with everything working and went home and check account online and shows new 10 dollar wearable unlimited line, took the unopened watch to him and let him setup new line and unbox watch and set it up right there, couldn't be happier

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Ok, yea Blue vs Green. I am color blind so Blue looks Green to me sorry for any added confusion. I think we have covered all the possibles on this side so your update tomorrow is anticipated.

Dave
[doublepost=1506629336][/doublepost]
Yes. For SMS/MMS, your iPhone will need to be powered on and have a connection to the AT&T cellular network, or via a Wi-Fi connection (with Wi-Fi calling enabled on iPhone).

Here are all the pre-reqs for Messaging on the Watch:

Messaging

If you would like to receive SMS/MMS messages and iMessages on your watch, you’ll need to ensure the following have been set up on your iPhone:
  • iMessage is enabled.
  • NumberSync is enabled (allows access to AT&T cellular network to receive messages on your watch when away from your iPhone).
  • For SMS/MMS, your iPhone will need to be powered on and have a connection to the AT&T cellular network, or via a Wi-Fi connection (with Wi-Fi calling enabled on iPhone which requires HD Voice aka VoLTE (voice & data)).
Dave

I wonder why we can't have "text message forwarding" work to use SMS on the AW with the phone off, like we can our Mac or iPads?

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Careful there, your Mac or iPad require your iPhone to be on and on the same Wi-Fi network.

Dave

I don't think it requires the same Wi-Fi network. When I've had my laptop on wifi at a hotel or starbucks and keep my phone on LTE, I believe I was still able to send and receive SMS from them. I will double check tomorrow. I'll have my phone with me at work and I'll VNC into my Mac Mini at home and see if I'm able to send an SMS

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007

To manage Wi-Fi Calling on your Apple Watch, go to the Watch App on your iPhone, tap My Watch, tap Phone, then turn off/on Wi-Fi Calling.

Dave

dave006:

Interesting. I don't have the option to turn on/off wifi calling in the phone section in the Watch app. Is this an ATT thing?
I have wifi calling turned on for the phone in the phone settings as well as allowing other devices to wifi call.

I have an iPhone 6.

Last edited:

ChewbaccaJ

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Went to ATT corporate at 3 pm today and he set up my watch on my grandfathered data unlimited plan with nation 450 talk and it went great. Walked out with everything working and went home and check account online and shows new 10 dollar wearable unlimited line, took the unopened watch to him and let him setup new line and unbox watch and set it up right there, couldn't be happier

Again, this is the best Forum site with Dave and the great community of people helping others!!! Thanks since I’m newbie and don’t always understand this.

Is it still worth going to a local Corp. AT&T store to try & get activated on an old grandfathered unlimited plan? Also, I had gone Monday based on my very limited understanding from this site early on. The guy at this Corp. AT&T store, I didn’t have my box with me (my bad), set up a $10 Unlimited on my old plan GUP, that I saw confirmation on a print out he gave me, just using codes off my Watch app. I had already unpaired my husband’s and my old watches and paired the new before I went. My watch (didn’t do his line) had its own number, but it showed under the MyAT&T app as a different device (in this case an iPhone 6Plus) and the rep. didn’t take me back to the watch app for me to go to cellular, but instead he kept trying to get me to do something thru the AT&T app with User ID or something and I panicked since he wasn’t sure. I went home that day and talked to an AT&T phone rep who said there was no way I have to change plans so I said No and had a manager take the new Unlimited Apple Watch Plan off so there’s no charge. I saw this line was in fact taken off when I looked back at my app. The manager said if I want to use the watches and change to an unlimited plan that line is still there and can be reactivated. When I go to my watch app under cellular besides there being the normal “set up cellular” below it it says “NOT IN USE” and under that “AT&T” with the info circle and when I tap on it it says “Remove AT&T Plan or Cancel” so I hit cancel.

Questions -
-Knowing more step by steps from you Dave do I print that out and go back and try it again and hope that door hasn’t been shut this time taking both boxes (I won’t, however, have my husband‘s watch with me which he will have with him, both of these already paired)?
-Do I delete this thing under the watch app, under cellular, that says remove plan before I go or at all for that matter?
-since it’s both of us under one account, if the store rep is successful, I can just go under each one of iPhones and go the the watch app and hit cellular and it will try the number sync from there?

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA

Dave

I do not have that option. Are you sure that's where it's located? I basically have a mirror my iphone option with sound/haptic option.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
I do not have that option. Are you sure that's where it's located? I basically have a mirror my iphone option with sound/haptic option.
Same on mine. There isn't a turn on wifi calling section in the Watch app in the phone section.

Hillshock

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
Which page of this thread did you find Dave's instructions that you took to the store?

Libby55- dave006’s post on page 3 made it an easy process at the AT&T store.
[doublepost=1506693196][/doublepost]
That activation fee should be waived / credited back to you. It is part of the 3 Months free and Waived Activation that was announced in the Apple Keynote and has as value of $55. AT&T is using bill credits.

More details:

$55 CREDIT OFFER: Subject to change. Must purchase eligible device/have eligible devices and activate with eligible service. Eligible Devices: Requires (i) Apple Watch Series 3 purchase at full price, on installment agreement, or bring your own (excludes ones purchased on 2-year agreement) and (ii) HD-voice activated iPhone 6 or newer. Eligible Service: Both Apple Watch Series 3 and smartphone must be on same account with postpaid wireless voice & data services. (i) Apple Watch Series 3 requires min. $10/mo. when added to eligible shared plan;(ii) Smartphone requires min. $50/mo. for a new eligible plan (may be less if on an existing eligible plan). Bill Credit: Account and service on your line must remain active to get up to two credits ($30 service + $25 activation) w/in 3 bills. No activation credit if already waived. Offer Limits: Max. of 1 activation credit/waiver per device. One credit offer per eligible Apple Watch Series 3 activation. May not be combinable with other offers, discounts, or credits.

Dave

Thanks so much Dave!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.