Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Don’t let AT&T rep bully you off your unlimited grandfathered plan! I was able to add the watch to my grandfathered plan for the $10 fee per month. Be as persistent as they are in trying to switch you to a new unlimited plan, and they will let you add it!!
To clarify, you have one of the original iPhone Unlimited plans that they offered before 2011? Did you get it activated in a store or using a chat/calling AT&T? The chat rep wasn't able to add it and suggested I call the 800 number. I'll try my local stores in the morning.
[doublepost=1506133020][/doublepost]
I know I’m not the person you were replying to, but I found this: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1182926 so it doesn’t look like the $10 per wearable fee is just for new customers. (See the part about “single plan cost to add additional devices”)
That's only specifically for the Unlimited Choice and Unlimited Plus plans. If those on older plans got it, it means someone did a manual override on AT&T's side to add it.

Marcusshelton

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
Mine connected right away to att. However I can make phone calls from the watch but will not send a text
I have same issue here in Texas as well. I guess we are only two because no one is answering. And I can’t find any other mention of the problem other than you.

gswilder

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
One issue I have found is I have 10 devices on my account already. It will not allow me to add another one. Going to have to remove an old ipad and try again.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
You don't need to go multi-line. Ask to add a wearable to your plan. It works. Here's a quote from the ATT website. Call the number:

Want unlimited data on a tablet or wearable without switching to a multi-line plan? Call us at 800.331.0500. Get our AT&T Unlimited Tablet plan for $20 a month or AT&T Unlimited Wearable plan for $10 a month.**​
You are correct. A Multi-Share Line Group is not required. The reps don't really understand the "wearable" devices and how to support them very well.

In fact you can add up to 2 of the AT&T Unlimited Wearable $10 plans to a single line AT&T Unlimited Choice℠, AT&T Unlimited Plus℠, AT&T Unlimited Choice℠ for Business, or AT&T Unlimited Plus℠ for Business plan (“Your Single Line Unlimited Plan”) by calling 800-331-0500. Note: These are the current plan names but the same $10 plan can be added to other qualified Unlimited Plans.

For example you can also do this with the iPhone with Grandfathered Unlimited Data. As you mentioned in an earlier post, you have to evaluate what plan best meets your individual need(s).

Dave
[doublepost=1506134785][/doublepost]
One issue I have found is I have 10 devices on my account already. It will not allow me to add another one. Going to have to remove an old ipad and try again.
Bingo that's a problem, the 10 device is a hard limit. Maybe this is what caused your errors your posted previously.

Dave
[doublepost=1506135119][/doublepost]
Single Line Plans AT&T subscribers.

Has anyone been able to get their watch activated? I have the unlimited plus single line and will have to upgrade to a multi line service in order to use th Watch per AT&T store folk.
Again this is just not a requirement. The reps don't understand the "wearable" plans and think you have to move to a Muli-Share Line Group since the wearable plan is an "Unlimited plan and since you already have a plan, they think 2 lines always equals a need for a Multi-Share Group because that's how it works or multiple Smartphones.

Just keep asking if they know how to correctly add a $10 AT&T Unlimited Wearable plan.

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: dolphin2421

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
You are correct. A Multi-Share Line Group is not required. The reps don't really understand the "wearable" devices and how to support them very well.

In fact you can add up to 2 of the AT&T Unlimited Wearable $10 plans to a single line AT&T Unlimited Choice℠, AT&T Unlimited Plus℠, AT&T Unlimited Choice℠ for Business, or AT&T Unlimited Plus℠ for Business plan (“Your Single Line Unlimited Plan”) by calling 800-331-0500. Note: These are the current plan names but the same $10 plan can be added to other qualified Unlimited Plans.

For example you can also do this with the iPhone with Grandfathered Unlimited Data. As you mentioned in an earlier post, you have to evaluate what plan best meets your individual need(s).

Dave

Which plan did you add it to? Do you have the grandfathered plan? AT&T’s website is explicit that it can be added to the new unlimited plans but does not mention the grandfathered plans. I’m going to see if the corporate store near me can add the $10 plan to my account. The Unlimited Plus would be over $30 more than my grandfathered plan.

gswilder

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007

Dave
[doublepost=1506134785][/doublepost]
Bingo that's a problem, the 10 device is a hard limit. Maybe this is what caused your errors your posted previously.

Dave
[doublepost=1506135119][/doublepost]
Again this is just not a requirement. The reps don't understand the "wearable" plans and think you have to move to a Muli-Share Line Group since the wearable plan is an "Unlimited plan and since you already have a plan, they think 2 lines always equals a need for a Multi-Share Group because that's how it works or multiple Smartphones.

Just keep asking if they know how to correctly add a $10 AT&T Unlimited Wearable plan.

Dave
I deleted 2 old iPads from my ATT cellular account
Then I went in and added "Bring your own device"
Went through the process adding my IMED, CID
Add new number
$10 per month extra
Order was placed; got email confirmation

BUT

Got message that order requires further review by ATT, and they will followup with me next business day.

So may be Monday before I get some resolution. Not a major deal. Just a hassle.

jbizzybeetle

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
I think I complicated my so-far unsuccessful attempt with AT&T by choosing to upgrade/increase my data plan. My visit to the website indicates that is the part under review and will be activated tomorrow. I had to increase gb as a recent long car trip drained my high-speed use allowed thanks to Google maps. I figured the AW wouldn’t be happy at a lowly 2g shared with the phone.

We will see what happens tomorrow. Meanwhile, the interim conversation with the AT&T rep was so scrambled I can’t even relate it. Those folks are losing their minds.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
QM5QIjN.png

LOL

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Which plan did you add it to? Do you have the grandfathered plan? AT&T’s website is explicit that it can be added to the new unlimited plans but does not mention the grandfathered plans. I’m going to see if the corporate store near me can add the $10 plan to my account. The Unlimited Plus would be over $30 more than my grandfathered plan.
I have not added my Apple Nike+ LTE since it does not arrive until Oct. 5th. I have a different "Retired" / Grandfathered Unlimited Plan. It was offered only offered last Feb. when the Unlimited data topic heated up and then it was quickly retired.

It allows me to have up to 10 devices that have Unlimited Everything. It also allows for Corporate Discounts ( FAN and AT&T Signature Plan ) discounts to apply, some discounts are as high as 50%. The newer Unlimited plans don't support these discounts.

Dave

cseggleton

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2017
This is exactly what's happening for me. I spent 90 minutes with an Apple and ATT rep on the phone at the same time and now solution. So lame. BTW, good on you for recording the screen.
yep same exact thing with me. i even went and added a bring your own device which I thought would do the trick and got a message it went through but had to be checked by ATT. oh well we'll see what tomorrow brings

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I deleted 2 old iPads from my ATT cellular account
Then I went in and added "Bring your own device"
Went through the process adding my IMED, CID
Add new number
$10 per month extra
Order was placed; got email confirmation

BUT

Got message that order requires further review by ATT, and they will followup with me next business day.

So may be Monday before I get some resolution. Not a major deal. Just a hassle.
Yea you went down a different path that will also ultimately work but the Workflow as you found out has a few "People" Tasks. They have to manually review your plan since you used the BYOD. They only review during normal business hours M-F.

Did you bother to retry the Automated process from your iPhone after getting below the 10 device limit?

Dave

gswilder

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
Yea you went down a different path that will also ultimately work but the Workflow as you found out has a few "People" Tasks. They have to manually review your plan since you used the BYOD. They only review during normal business hours M-F.

Did you bother to retry the Automated process from your iPhone after getting below the 10 device limit?

Dave
Yes, I tried it from the phone after getting below 10 devices. I powered down the phone and watch before trying. Didnt work.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I have not added my Apple Nike+ LTE since it does not arrive until Oct. 5th. I have a different "Retired" / Grandfathered Unlimited Plan. It was offered only offered last Feb. when the Unlimited data topic heated up and then it was quickly retired.

It allows me to have up to 10 devices that have Unlimited Everything. It also allows for Corporate Discounts ( FAN and AT&T Signature Plan ) discounts to apply, some discounts are as high as 50%. The newer Unlimited plans don't support these discounts.

Dave
Thanks. I’ll see if I can get the store rep to add the $10 plan to my old plan. I’m not sure I’m willing to pay $500 more per year to use the Watch outside the range of the phone. $120 is a different story.

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
My last try with att customer service ended up with their concluding that Apple had put a wrong or malfunctioning sim chip in my phone.

That concerned me enough to wait 40 minutes to speak with technical support. They said, wow we are sorry for all the weird advice and dead ends but please don’t return your watch. We know there is a problem on our end. Hopefully we can get it fixed tonight.

Amen...

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Mine connected right away to att. However I can make phone calls from the watch but will not send a text
Will you might not want to hear this restriction but here it is.

To send / receive SMS/MMS Txt messages on your Watch, your iPhone needs to connected to your carrier's network via a cellular connection of via Wi-Fi calling feature.

Dave

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Anyone here with the ATT mobile share value plan able to activate their LTE watch without any problem?
Yup.
[doublepost=1506139177][/doublepost]
My last try with att customer service ended up with their concluding that Apple had put a wrong or malfunctioning sim chip in my phone.

That concerned me enough to wait 40 minutes to speak with technical support. They said, wow we are sorry for all the weird advice and dead ends but please don’t return your watch. We know there is a problem on our end. Hopefully we can get it fixed tonight.

Amen...

Did you reboot your iPhone?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East

Amen...
Yea this has been a crazy day but not even close to issues we have had with earlier iPhone releases. I have seen some crazy posts claiming all sorts of just impossible issues or solutions. But the best one was over on another carrier, they claimed the found the problem but it would take 2 weeks to fix!

Dave

egeek84

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Northern California
OK an hour later and I was ready to pull my hair out but I finally solved it.

As someone else earlier said, if you have an account with multiple lines, YOU HAVE TO DELINK YOUR PHONE LINE WITH NUMBERSYNC FROM YOUR ATT ACCESS ID and then link your wearable to that number. Once you have done this, feel free to link the line back to your account number.

I have no idea why ATT has such a convulated system like this in place but i'm just glad I finally figured it out. It was driving me crazy.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Yes, I tried it from the phone after getting below 10 devices. I powered down the phone and watch before trying. Didnt work.
I thought so but just wanted to make sure. Did you get the same failure / errors as earlier?

If you did then you qualify for the solution posted @egeek84 above. I know you gave us a clue earlier when you said that when you login to your myAT&T you see all the devices!

Just to make it very clear, you are using the default ID to when you are complete the NumberSync steps. You need to create a standalone AT&T Account ID just for your iPhone line. It has to start with a letter and not a number aka your default phone number.

Do you know how to create this type of AT&T Account ID?

Here is a link that covers the topic: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1209881

Dave

Last edited:

AdellW

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
To clarify, you have one of the original iPhone Unlimited plans that they offered before 2011? Did you get it activated in a store or using a chat/calling AT&T? The chat rep wasn't able to add it and suggested I call the 800 number. I'll try my local stores in the morning.
[doublepost=1506133020][/doublepost]
That's only specifically for the Unlimited Choice and Unlimited Plus plans. If those on older plans got it, it means someone did a manual override on AT&T's side to add it.
Yes. I have one of the original unlimited data plans. I physically went to my local att store to activate. The chat I had was the previous evening. I feel this would be your best choice of action...Good luck and stand your ground to keep your existing plan.

Reactions: KPOM

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
It’s so weird to read all these problems. I had saw a couple this morning when the watches launched, and got me worried, but when I got mine, and my fiancé’s watches, both att but different accounts, both watches activated just fine the very first time (around 12pm pst). I never once had a problem with ATT.

Reactions: dave006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.