Cannot set up cellular on Series 3: Says AT&T not supported

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by NJRonbo, Sep 22, 2017.

1. HopeWV macrumors regular

HopeWV

Mine set up right away. No troubles at all with it. However, I see no green dots for signal strength. Does that only show up when you’re not on WiFi?

2. ehaugk macrumors member

Exactly

3. MacGod macrumors regular

MacGod

Had the same issue - activated my new AW3 with my phone... went into CELLULAR - was greeted with a message about the AT&T not supported on Apple Watch, blah blah blah... Called AT&T - they transferred me to Applecare... nice lady put me on hold...

While she put me on hold... I restarted my PHONE and when it came back, I could then click the ACTIVATION link and was taken to an AT&T page to start and complete the process...

Try restarting your phone before anything else.

4. Uccle macrumors regular

I’m not totally sure this is even true. I just got back from the store and they seemed to think it was an excuse because the servers are getting slammed. That said, I am unable to add my Watch because I have a single line plan. Period. I’d have to go from $75 per month to $115 in order to have the privilege of adding *another* $10 to use the watch.

5. AdellW macrumors newbie

I had to go to att store in order to activate...couldn’t activate through watch set up because as you know it only gives you 3 current plan choices. I called att after picking up watch at ups distribution center. After 36 minutes speaking with a rep, gave up when it was clear he didn’t know what he was talking about. He was trying to send me a new SIM card to put in the watch!!! Thursday night had an online chat with a rep who after many attempts of trying to convince me of changing my plan finally said that they could add to my existing plan for the $10. She at first said it was not possible at all then that it would be $40 to add then she gave me what I wanted and said she would make a note of it on my account. I mad sure to screenshot our chat. The guy at the att store had me activated in minutes and didn’t hassle me about my plan at all...also received free activation and 3 months free as Apple had promised!

6. Uccle macrumors regular

Yea. I think I’ve gotten the run around a million different ways today. But thanks for letting me know that is one was a red herring.

7. egeek84 macrumors 6502

egeek84

DUDE YOURE AMAZING, THAT WORKED!!!!!!

EDIT - so i logged in and it just takes me to the account page, nothing else :/

8. hbenitez09 macrumors regular

Picked up two LtE devices from Apple today. Did in store pick up walked in purchased didn’t ask about cellular walked out with items.

I work for att so I did this at my retail location with my reps. They activate a number for billing on account 10 dollars unlimited. Use IMEI and EID on the back of box. Once number is active on network I turned on Apple Watch and went through pairing restore from series 2. It came to s point where it asked about cellular I hit setup now and it took me to att page where I logged in with my user Id and password then it asked for my address and within seconds it synced with the current number on my iPhone. Only defaults to cellular when iPhone isn’t near by and no WiFi is available.

Watch will always have a different number on att billing system for the E sim the numbersync feature is what pairs it to your own cellular number.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---

This isn’t true there is a standalone unlimited plan for wearables at 10 dollars a piece

9. dolphin2421 macrumors regular

dolphin2421

I was told this by a rep. or two today, as well, but it turned out to be incorrect (shocked?). At several points I was offered the opportunity to "upgrade" my plan to $165/month from my current bill of $95. LOL.

I
    f you have one of the supported data plans to which "wearable devices" can be added for $10/month, that's all it will cost. They don't need to add another line of service because it's a "wearable."

The supported plans are Unlimited Choice, Unlimited Plus and some variant of Mobile Share.

I have seen a few postings here and there claiming to have added watches to their grandfathered unlimited plans. Since the overall dollar amount was fundamentally the same for me with the addition of personal hotspot and other things that were excluded from my former plan, I feel okay about all of it.

10. gswilder macrumors regular

I have mobile share value with 30GB and rollover.

When I log into ATT from a web browser, I access all the lines on my account (9-10 lines at this point).

11. clusey macrumors newbie

Likewise. I rebooted my phone. Everything worked fine after that.

12. Uccle macrumors regular

Single Line Plans AT&T subscribers.

Has anyone been able to get their watch activated? I have the unlimited plus single line and will have to upgrade to a multi line service in order to use th Watch per AT&T store folk.

13. dolphin2421 macrumors regular

dolphin2421

Nicely done.

14. Texas12345 macrumors newbie

Mine connected right away to att. However I can make phone calls from the watch but will not send a text

15. hbenitez09 macrumors regular

You don’t have to upgrade to multi line. You might need to go into a store to do your activation vs doing it from the web portal but there is a 10 dollar stand alone plan for unlimited data. Tell the rep in store to create a new group, select individual plan vs mobile share plan and he/she will see a 10 dollar unlimited wearable plan.

16. dolphin2421 macrumors regular

dolphin2421

You don't need to go multi-line. Ask to add a wearable to your plan. It works. Here's a quote from the ATT website. Call the number:

Want unlimited data on a tablet or wearable without switching to a multi-line plan? Call us at 800.331.0500. Get our AT&T Unlimited Tablet plan for $20 a month or AT&T Unlimited Wearable plan for $10 a month.**​

17. hbenitez09 macrumors regular

He didn’t add to his grandfathered plan his plan stayed as is they created a new plan simply for wearables that is 10 dollars a month for unlimited. The Apple Watch doesn’t need to be a part of a group it can be on a standalone plan for 10 dollars a month. It’s not the reps trying to get you off the plan you have it’s simply that there is a lack of education around a standalone unlimited data plan for wearables. Att recently launched it and it was specifically for the Apple Watch. Prior to this the only connected wearables that were connected were Samsung gears and those needed to be on a group plan.

18. Uccle macrumors regular

Oh thank you SO much. I think i’ll wait a couple of days until they get a better handle on things and until I calm down. They were pretty darn adamant and condescending in the store. But I knew I needed to come back here and check the experts!

19. dolphin2421 macrumors regular

dolphin2421

Today was a cluster!

20. Uccle macrumors regular

I was in the store as they pressured me to go multi-line. Seriously I felt like I was in the twilight zone. But you and dolphin have given me the information I need to cram..err, correct them tomorrow. ;-)

Thanks!

21. WilliamG macrumors 604

Thank you. Sounds like it won’t be so easy. I picked new number, and it asked me make sure to finish the NumberSync activation (huh?).

It also said my order requires further review. So I’ve no idea...

Your order requires further review by an AT&T representative. You will receive an email from us shortly, during normal business hours, with further details once the review is complete. For additional questions, please call us at 866.267.4510. A representative is available to assist you from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. ET daily.

22. cseggleton macrumors member

I'm tempted to return the watch and the new iphone 8 and go back to android. These types of things are not acceptable. The poor customer service and getting 10 different answers all while knowing others have their watches working. really sad on Apple and ATT's part.

23. hbenitez09 macrumors regular

Don’t beat them up too much don’t think att anticipated the success of Apple Watch and didn’t communicate the plans to the reps so everyone is assuming you need to be in a group plan to add the Watch.

24. Uccle macrumors regular

And some! Thanks again.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    Nah, in fact I just left them a nice message so they know what to do in the future. I knew it wasn’t their fault exactly...but I also knew it made no sense. Plus by then I was rather beaten down. No foul. A good night’s sleep, and i’ll have the watch activated tomorrow:)

25. KPOM macrumors G5

The fine print says it is only for the "new" unlimited and mobile share plans, so the stores apparently do a manual override. I tried the online BYOD route on a whim (the AT&T stores by me are closed for the evening) but it tried to have me open a brand new phone line. Hopefully by tomorrow the "regular" activation issues are sorted out and I'll see if my local store will add the $10 plan.

BTW, were you at a corporate store or an authorized reseller?