Cases for Upcoming 10.5-Inch and 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Reveal Stereo Speakers, Centered Rear Microphone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 22, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A collection of new images today claim to show cases for Apple's upcoming 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro devices. The 10.5-inch iPad Pro is believed to be an update similar in vein to the iPhone 8, with a size that remains close to that of the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, but includes a larger 10.5-inch display thanks to shrinking bezels.

[​IMG]
    Benjamin Geskin has shared the iPad Pro accessory images on Twitter today, showing off cutouts for the Lightning port, speaker grilles, microphone, and vertically-aligned camera. The microphone cutout is placed on the top rear of both new iPads, similar to its location on the newest 9.7-inch iPad. For the current 12.9-inch models, however, the microphone cutout sits on the right side of the iPad, above the volume buttons.

[​IMG]

The cases include multiple large cutouts for what appears to be four speakers, with two on top of the case and two on the bottom surrounding the Lightning port. This suggests that the 10.5-inch iPad is likely to continue supporting the stereo audio system of the iPhone 7 and 9.7-inch iPad Pro update. The wood cases also include side inserts for Apple Pencil storage.

[​IMG]

Also on top of the case is the expected cutout for the lock button, and the 3.5mm headphone jack will still be included on the 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pros launching this year, according to the new cases. Volume rockers remain on the traditional right side of the iPad cases, as well.

[​IMG]

With production on the 10.5-inch iPad reportedly ramping up, the device could debut as early as WWDC, which takes place two weeks from today. For the smaller-screened iPad mini, recent rumors have suggested that Apple might discontinue the devices due to likely cannibalization from the 5.5-inch iPhone Plus devices. According to Geskin, the iPad mini will remain off of Apple's update list -- for 2017 at least -- with his Tweet stating, "No new iPad mini this year."

Article Link: Cases for Upcoming 10.5-Inch and 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Reveal Stereo Speakers, Centered Rear Microphone

2. cursedearth macrumors member

3. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

I'm either looking to get the new 10.5 or the updated 12.9. Excited to see them both side by side so I can decide.

4. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

No bad thing to have two speakers I guess, for me personally though my iPad has had the mute switch set to on since I bought it over 3 years ago. Never needed it to make sounds for the apps I use on it.

5. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Nice, I am planning to buy my first next year, a 12 inch iPad Pro. Hope it includes features such as 3D Touch, True Tone and a optimized iOS for the large screen, accessible file system, even if its integrated with iCloud.

6. recoil80 macrumors 68020

That's a replacement for the 9.7'' iPad pro, similar size, similar features.
    I wish they'd keep updating the mini, a 5.5'' iPhone is not a replacement for an iPad. When used in landscape the mini has way more vertical real estate for apps, is not the same user experience. Even with a 5.8'' future iPhone landscape mode wouldn't be as good as on the iPad.

7. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

If they'll discontinue the 7.9" form factor, no more iPads for me!

8. JonneyGee macrumors 6502

JonneyGee

The iPad Mini news isn't surprising but it sure is frustrating. Come on, Apple — some of us like portable devices that are actually portable. :oops:

9. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

And the award for the ugliest case goes to.....

10. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

what is "the lock button" on top of the case?

11. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

If those are accurate, I guess it shatters my dream of having an extra lightning port in place of the headphone jack. Lots of "pro-ish" situations where having an extra Lightning port is more useful than a headphone jack (since the port can be a headphone jack too if it wants).
    Assuming of course they won't be using USB C :)

12. yanksfan114 macrumors 6502

I just wanna know where I can get that case right now for my 9.7" Pro. I likey, especially the pencil holder.

13. Sunny1990, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Yeah totally agree the iPad mini is the best Size tablet, i too love the 7.9 form factor.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    For the smaller-screened iPad mini, recent rumors havesuggested that Apple might discontinue the devices :- Macrumors quote

Why not Apple discontinue the 9.7 ipad as it will be similar to 10.5 form factor, and keep iPad mini alive for those who don't need bigger iPads

14. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

I'm certain the current ipad pro 9.7" will then be immediately discontinued.

It will be a pity if the mini is also discontinued.

15. Jsameds macrumors 68040

It really grinds my gears when they got hold of something like this and there's no comparison to the older models for some context. :mad:

16. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

2015 Mini gets up to speed w/ same high-powered chipset as 9.7, becomes best selling iPad of all time.
    2016 No new mini for 2016, no chipset upgrade, no Pencil compatibility update, no 256GB option.
    2017 Let's terminate it.

wtf

17. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502a

Posted this on 9to5mac already... where they had a photo of another case for the 10.5" iPad... with a current 9.7" iPad in it. Before anyone asks... yes... the screen doesn't look AT LOT bigger. But the mockup is still accurately showing 9.7" and 10.5" displays!

Well.. I did a rough mockup based on these cases... and well... it will NOT be bezel-less like AT ALL.

What I did:
    Took an image of a current iPad... and scaled it to be 5mm wider and 10mm taller. The cases seem to be bigger by that amount... approximately. One mm more or less won't make much of a difference here... I guess...

Overlayed it with a 4:3 rectangle of 10.5".

As you can see the bezels would be slightly smaller... but not dramatically.

iPad mockup.png

Original case image from 9to5mac:
    pasted-image-at-2017_05_22-07_29-am.png

18. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

Either it's me or the cutout at the top of the 10.5" case looks like the right size for a dual lens camera

19. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

ewww the 10.5inch ipad will have a bigger chassis? ewwwwww

20. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502a

I doubt it... it's where the current iPad Pro has the flash...

21. rpe33 macrumors regular

22. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

I'm not sure if I'd want a case that gives me splinters.

23. manu chao macrumors 603

There is a chance that Apple releases an 'iPhone 8'-version of the iPhone Plus next year. Assuming the same relative sizes (4.7" -> 5.8"), it could have a size of 6.8" (though the bezels on the Plus phone don't take up as much space in relative terms as on the non-plus phone, I'd thus say the same absolute increase, 1.1", might be more likely, resulting in a 6.6" new Plus phone next year).
    --- Post Merged, May 22, 2017 ---
    2017 New 9.7" iPad has about the same price (spec for spec) as the iPad Mini, people buying the Mini because it is the cheapest iPad no longer buy it.

24. Appleaker macrumors 68020

Yes I did mention these microphone changes a few months ago, if only you'd listened :rolleyes:

25. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I'm getting excited about the 10.5" model because I like the idea of higher pixel density with the work space of the 12.9" Pro in a smaller form factor. Pair that with 4GB RAM and an A11(X?) chip and I'm sold. If it debuts at WWDC and just has an A10 or A10X, then it's going to be a tough sell for me, especially if Apple insists on only updating the iPad every 1.5-2 years. A newer Apple Pencil would be nice, especially if it has those features from the patent such as hover mode and pinch gestures for contextual menus, but not necessary for me to upgrade from my iPad Air 2. If they can't swing the A11 quite yet (they've unveiled the A4 and A5 before the iPhone versions in the past), then I hope they just wait until the autumn and update after the iPhone as I think it's pretty dumb that my new iPhone is faster than this "Pro" machine. Hopefully they also bump the base storage since even the iPhone SE starts at 32GB now.