Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
No, no, no. You're clearly wrong. This is a pro device. It should withstand atmospheric reentry while taped to the outside of a SpaceX Dragon capsule. In fact, it should be able to be the ceramic heatshield for the capsules and suffer no damage. Anything less is engineering negligence on Apple's part (probably caused by employees working from home).
You are not quite right. What you describe will be on the “Ultra” model next year. Ultra is better than Pro and everyone knows it. The name imparts unique waves from the ether of our universe giving it special properties like improved scratch resistance! They should test the phone as the heat shield on the Blue Origin return capsule.

“Ultra: You pay for what you get!”

Here is another add banner for next year’s Ultra:

“You pay for what you get: Ultra!”

Hum - I can’t decide… 😁

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
A high quality edge-to-edge screen protector isn't very expensive, has oleophobic coatings on par with the phone itself, prevents 100% of scratches/micro-scratches, offers a significant amount of additional drop protection and nearly disappears (visually) on the phone.

All Gorilla Glass/Invictus/Ceramic Shield phones have been prone to micro-scratching -- get a few grains of sand in your pocket and you'll get micro-scratches/swirl-marks with any of them.

kenni417

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2019
Ontario, Canada
dude. glass is glass. pro or not. of course it’s gonna scratch. that’s what screen protectors are for. it’s gonna scratch no matter how you take care of it.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
Same here. My wife and I have both had them all since the 7 Plus. The ceramic shield ones have been super scratched up at the end of the year. That include the 13 PM that I’m typing this on that will soon be a 14PM. Even has a crack on it from 2 days ago and I have not dropped it and it has not been subjected to any force. I take care of my stuff. My Macs look brand new years later. But these iPhone screens have shown tons of scratches and cracks. I never had a cracked screen until Ceramic Shield. Now I’ve had 12 PM and 13 Pm back to back.

Reactions: black_knight

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
dude. glass is glass. pro or not. of course it’s gonna scratch. that’s what screen protectors are for. it’s gonna scratch no matter how you take care of it.
But that’s not the argument here. I’ve had almost every iPhone. And never used screen protectors. Ceramic Shield have been objectively worse than than all screens before it. And many people in this thread have corroborated that, myself included.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
It looks as though Apple should offer an option of what kind of glass the user would prefer, so that those that are prone to dropping their phones can get the Ceramic Shield glass, and those that worry about scratches can get the "Glass Glass"!🤣🤣
Seems to me that the Ceramic Shield covered with a screen protector is the ideal situation.

Reactions: arkitect and bc 08

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
It looks as though Apple should offer an option of what kind of glass the user would prefer, so that those that are prone to dropping their phones can get the Ceramic Shield glass, and those that worry about scratches can get the "Glass Glass"!🤣🤣
Seems to me that the Ceramic Shield covered with a screen protector is the ideal situation.
The problem with that conclusion is that there are many, myself included, that do not want to use a screen protector. Nothing feels better than the screen on the iPhone

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
The problem with that conclusion is that there are many, myself included, that do not want to use a screen protector. Nothing feels better than the screen on the iPhone
What you want is Gorilla Glass 3 and Apple and Samsung are not putting that on their hi-tech screens anymore.

So what are you going to do?

A: Go without screen protection and love the feel of the screen until you get a few deep scratches and feel that from now on?

B: Put a quality screen protector and replace when it scratches.

Actually there is:

C: Buy a synthetic sapphire screen protector and have a pro install it and get back to us…

If durable I would spend the money on that screen protector with the ceramic shield underneath. I think the cracking for many is improper installation. iPhone screens are flat so it could work.

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
But that’s not the argument here. I’ve had almost every iPhone. And never used screen protectors. Ceramic Shield have been objectively worse than than all screens before it. And many people in this thread have corroborated that, myself included.

Ceramic Shield also has objectively greater shatter resistance in spite of a few anecdotal experiences provided in this thread - it seems Apple prioritized shatter resistance above scratch resistant.

I think the majority of people would chose micro-scratches above a shattered screen if push came to shove.

Reactions: AlexMac89

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
No idea what the OP is going on about. I have never had so much as a scratch on any of my iPhones since the 6S and certainly no shattered screens.

When I purchase my phones I have the Apple staff slap on a screen protector using their nifty machine, I place my phone into a case of my choosing and I am thereafter good to go. Never had any damage on any of my phones even after years of use. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Use a screen protector. If you don’t you may get scratches. Different people can have a different body chemistry that can affect any surface over a period of time.
A good glass based screen protector feels no different than the screen itself. Like the Spigen screen protectors.
As soon as my new phone comes out the box a screen protector goes on and the phone goes in a case.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Use a screen protector. If you don’t you may get scratches. Different people can have a different body chemistry that can affect any surface over a period of time…

How did this come up!

Ok, I sweat acid literally but the pay-off is less pimples because I don’t have a normal PH. It is Apple’s fault if my sweat eats through coating and such. Another reason I went with white…

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I expect a “Pro” device to have a pro-level resistance to scratches.
You also don't understand glass at all. The more scratch resistance glass is the less shatter resistant it is. It's a sliding scale Apple has to balance.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
That's your opinion, not an objective fact. Ya'll really need to understand your anecdotal experiences aren't a dataset.

Reactions: PeteBurgh

Jage

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2022
I don’t want to wade too far into this debate but the opinion I have rarely comes up.
We see scratches differently. I like to keep my devices pristine and to my detriment, can and will see very fine scratches. The type you can’t feel with your fingernail and at times can only see in the right light.
Trust me I’d rather not.
My partner on the other hand doesn’t notice the dozens of scratches on her screen. Just doesn’t see them.
So it’s very tough to argue on whether a screen is scratched or not unless both people are physically looking at it.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
I don’t want to wade too far into this debate but the opinion I have rarely comes up.
We see scratches differently. I like to keep my devices pristine and to my detriment, can and will see very fine scratches. The type you can’t feel with your fingernail and at times can only see in the right light.
Trust me I’d rather not.
My partner on the other hand doesn’t notice the dozens of scratches on her screen. Just doesn’t see them.
So it’s very tough to argue on whether a screen is scratched or not unless both people are physically looking at it.
I think it's definitely true that people perceive these things differently, and will care to varying degrees about these things. These forums are full of people who are driven crazy by one thing or another, which others don't notice at all!

Ultimately, there are 3 possibilities here:

1) not care about scratches on your phone
2) use a screen protector
3) leave your phone in its box/a museum display case

I understand that there is a lot of overlap between the 'I can't stand scratches!' people and the 'I can't abide screen protectors!' people - both speak to the same sort of fussiness and attention to detail. But until some materials breakthrough squares this circle, them's the breaks, and it's just one of life's compromises ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Andeddu and Jage

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Like many of you I do not have ANY scratches on my 12Pro screen and do not use a screen protector. I carry my phone in my left pocket with nothing else.

So where are peoples scratches coming from? Probably other objects in the same pocket, keys, loose change etc.
Another source may be a new pair of pre-washed jeans. So manufactures use sand to give the jean that pre-worn look. Residual sand in the pocket will do a great job of scratching anything.

I am amazed at the number of girls and ladies that carry their phones in their rear pockets, invariably with a good portion of the phone sticking out. Don't know about scratches but easily stolen or bent.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
Ceramic Shield also has objectively greater shatter resistance in spite of a few anecdotal experiences provided in this thread - it seems Apple prioritized shatter resistance above scratch resistant.

I think the majority of people would chose micro-scratches above a shattered screen if push came to shove.
That’s a fair point for sure.

The problem for people in my shoes (and many others who have spoken up on this thread) who have had most of the iPhones and don’t get shattered screens, all of a sudden now the last couple have scratched a lot worse, and that is perceived as a more negative experience than positive.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Do you just hold it in your hand all day?
I hold it in my hand, I set it down on a counter, I place it in the console of my vehicle, I put it in a sleeve and carry it or set it down — lots of options. I sometimes even balance it on my head, but then I’m just showing off.

Again — I’ve never had a scratch on the body or screen of my iPhone. Maybe I’m not trying hard enough?

Reactions: bbfc

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
The phone scratches just by the smell of fear present. When you really do not give a s*** and drop it in the hope to give you an excuse to upgrade it does not take any damage.

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021
You also don't understand glass at all. The more scratch resistance glass is the less shatter resistant it is. It's a sliding scale Apple has to balance.
You know what they say about people making assumptions….

Where in my post did I say that I expect no scratches?

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
I got 1 hairline scratch on my iPhone 11.

Zero scratches on iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Zero scratches on iPhone 13 Pro Max.

All after 1 year. I have to wonder about those who collect lots of scratches.

Reactions: Ntombi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.