MacintoshUser101

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
33
3
I purchased my rMBP a Year ago and Yesterday after charging a few moments later I heard a Popping sound as if something had blown up. There was a faint smoke smell but i didn't suspect it to be the charger . When i plugged in the charger later on it was DEAD. There are no signs on the charger that it had blown. Has anyone experienced this issue? The Apple Reseller the computer was purchased from Refused to help as it is 2 weeks of of warranty. Can anyone of assistance as to what i should do. Thank You
 
  • Like
Reactions: MultiFinder17

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
6,746
979
Can you post pics? Set up a Genius Bar appointment and see if they can help.
 

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
287
147
My first 85watt charger caught fire, so I'm not surprised. Call Apple, they will file an incident report and take care of it.
 

MacintoshUser101

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
33
3
There is no visible damage to the charger.
My first 85watt charger caught fire, so I'm not surprised. Call Apple, they will file an incident report and take care of it.
What should i do if they want to repair the charger? I dont want to put that in to my MBP what if if happens again while plugged into the computer and cause further damage.
 

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
17,194
5,543
They won't repair the charger if it's blown -- they'll give you a new one.

If they won't, you might consider Other World Computing (no financial interest) for another...
 

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
287
147
There is no visible damage to the charger.

What should i do if they want to repair the charger? I dont want to put that in to my MBP what if if happens again while plugged into the computer and cause further damage.
They don't repair them; they replace.
 

MacintoshUser101

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
33
3
They don't repair them; they replace.
I took it to the Apple Reseller in my country and they say that they will send it for and assessment but it will take 3 weeks and even then i'm not guaranteed to get a replacement. The Apple reseller i bought the computer from say they can't do anything because it 2 weeks out of warranty and even if it was just 1 day they wouldn't help.
 

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
726
332
europe
I took it to the Apple Reseller in my country and they say that they will send it for and assessment but it will take 3 weeks and even then i'm not guaranteed to get a replacement. The Apple reseller i bought the computer from say they can't do anything because it 2 weeks out of warranty and even if it was just 1 day they wouldn't help.
For the future you should avoid any purchase at the reseller...
 

Marshall73

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2015
1,574
1,312
I purchased my rMBP a Year ago and Yesterday after charging a few moments later I heard a Popping sound as if something had blown up. There was a faint smoke smell but i didn't suspect it to be the charger . When i plugged in the charger later on it was DEAD. There are no signs on the charger that it had blown. Has anyone experienced this issue? The Apple Reseller the computer was purchased from Refused to help as it is 2 weeks of of warranty. Can anyone of assistance as to what i should do. Thank You
Contact Apple Support. They replaced my charger when it too blew up 18 months after I bought my Macbook Pro, the replacement had a much more substantial UK plug on it too unlike the skinny one that shipped with it and was a nightmare to unplug from stiff sockets.
 

MacintoshUser101

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
33
3
Contact Apple Support. They replaced my charger when it too blew up 18 months after I bought my Macbook Pro, the replacement had a much more substantial UK plug on it too unlike the skinny one that shipped with it and was a nightmare to unplug from stiff sockets.
How's The replacement been? Has it been going yellow at the connector?
 

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
726
332
europe
How's The replacement been? Has it been going yellow at the connector?
Yours went yellow at the connector?
If so: Go to apple store and tell them, that this is clearly a sign of a partial short circuit over time with secondary heat damage.
And that they have the chance to exchange or you will give the charger to your national authorities to control if the charger has been produced correctly following your national obligations of electrical security.

If they refuse : DO EXACTLY THIS.
 

MacintoshUser101

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
33
3
I found this on Apple's Site , Does this mean that if the unit was defective i am entitled to a replacement unit? "Whether or not your product is in or out of warranty, you can take your adapter to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation and replacement if necessary" - https://support.apple.com/en-za/HT203207
 

Direshan

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2016
1
0
I have had the exact same issue. And in my country (South Africa), there is no Apple store, just the premium reseller called iStore. They refused to help because I am out of warranty. It is so damn expensive to buy a new charger
 

alzayon

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
1
0
I purchased my rMBP a Year ago and Yesterday after charging a few moments later I heard a Popping sound as if something had blown up. There was a faint smoke smell but i didn't suspect it to be the charger . When i plugged in the charger later on it was DEAD. There are no signs on the charger that it had blown. Has anyone experienced this issue? The Apple Reseller the computer was purchased from Refused to help as it is 2 weeks of of warranty. Can anyone of assistance as to what i should do. Thank You
I experienced the exact same thing yesterday. I heard a popping sound and smelt a faint burning scent. I also did not think it was the charger at first. I just noticed a while later that my MBP was not charging anymore. And like you, mine was already out of warranty. I bought mine last May 2016. I was forced to buy a new charger yesterday. I have read in different forums that megasafe 2 is not as robust as the megasafe 1 charger. Seems like the same case with mine. My older MBP with megasafe 1 still works perfectly to this day.