Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
If the knock-off ones work, then good for the Chinese for being so adaptive, and making something that people want at a reasonable price.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
I don't like how the stock cables are so short.

I like having at least like a 4-5 footcord so I can have it plugged in and can use it on the couch, bed, desk etc..

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
There are also Lightning to 30 pin adapters from china on ebay for $4.00 and free shipping. I'll risk $4.00, haha.
By plugging it into your iPhone, you're risking more than $4, aren't you?

I think any electronics inside a simple charging cable would be for cutting off the draw when the battery is full. With an 8 to 30 pin adapter though, there's probably a lot more involved.

Either way, I'm sure in time there will be adequate knock-offs, but these first ones might not be up to spec.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

I think any electronics inside a simple charging cable would be for cutting off the draw when the battery is full. With an 8 to 30 pin adapter though, there's probably a lot more involved.

Either way, I'm sure in time there will be adequate knock-offs, but these first ones might not be up to spec.

The draw is controlled by the charging circuit, not the cable. The chips in the cable only serve to validate the cables authenticity, nothing more.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I've always been advised to stay away from cheap knockoffs because they can have adverse effects on the device (especially the battery). I'd gladly buy a cheap one to keep in my car, for charging and iPod functionality over USB, but don't want to do it at the expense of my device or its battery.

Is there any truth to this, or is it just a case of paranoia?

Urban legend.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
DON'T BUY 3rd PARTY LIGHTING CABLE YET on ebay or amazon. It's not a simple cable Chinese knockoff makers can make. It won't work. AppleInsider reports the cable contain what looks like authentication chips inside the housing.

Waiting is probably a good idea. :D

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
You do realize you void your warranty right? So if the cable blows up your phone you're SOL.

We'll soon find out if they work!

Could be apple scaring people so they pay the higher prices!

----------

So you're telling me there is no current driving thru that cable? it's just magic? If the cable has too much amperage it'll blow up your phone if it is has too little amperage it won't charge your phone.

The draw is controlled by the charging circuit, not the cable. The chips in the cable only serve to validate the cables authenticity, nothing more.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

Given that there's no circuitry (or even room) to modulate incoming current inside the phone itself (the iFixit teardown shows this), the only means to modulate incoming current would be in the cable itself. Unless these cheap knockoffs are also including that circuitry, I'd stay away from them.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

X-Ravin

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
I have seen first hand a knock off 30 pin cable roast itself and take some of my coworkers skin with it. Luckily his iPhone was ok but that was enough to make me a bit leery about risking it. It's not that the cable is electrically different, it is simply the difference in quality control.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Given that there's no circuitry (or even room) to modulate incoming current inside the phone itself (the iFixit teardown shows this), the only means to modulate incoming current would be in the cable itself. Unless these cheap knockoffs are also including that circuitry, I'd stay away from them.

It's in the charger like it's always been. It's not in the cable.

----------

So you're telling me there is no current driving thru that cable? it's just magic? If the cable has too much amperage it'll blow up your phone if it is has too little amperage it won't charge your phone.

I never said no current went through the cable. I was replying to the following quote and disputing the assumption that the electronics in the cable were involved in controlling the charging process in any way.

Last edited:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Lol because $19 is so expensive. Geez us. You can afford a $400+ cell phone but complain about $19??

Because $19 for a cable that costs a few cents to make after already giving Apple and/or the carriers a few hundred dollars on a product they make well over 50% margin on is an insult. It's not if I can or cannot afford it, it's partly the principal and partly being wise with how I spend my money.

I can't buy a fully functioning iPhone 5 for less than Apple charges (honestly) but if I can buy a fully functioning lightning cable for less, I'd be a fool to spend more.

----------

You do realize you void your warranty right? So if the cable blows up your phone you're SOL.

Unless they can prove the after market cable caused damage to the phone, you are not voiding your warranty. There are specific consumer laws that cover exactly these types of situations.

Ishimaru

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Los Angeles
We're not talking $50+ for a cable, it's $19. If you have a hard time swallowing that, you have bigger fish to fry. Hell, I'll give you the $19 if it's too expensive for you. :rolleyes: Sheesh. Someone needs a better paying job.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
As Natesac said, keep your eye on monoprice. I've been buying five dollar HDMI cables from them for a decade. They're an excellent and reasonably priced third party cable maker with incredible customer service and they won't release a faulty cable. Just like thunderbolt connectors, these are proprietary and DO indeed house a 'chip' not available yet to most of these folks already spinning them on eBay. Hold tight. By Christmas you'll have several options rather than Apple.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
We're not talking $50+ for a cable, it's $19. If you have a hard time swallowing that, you have bigger fish to fry. Hell, I'll give you the $19 if it's too expensive for you. :rolleyes: Sheesh. Someone needs a better paying job.

Try $19 plus tax times 3-4 or more for some people.
Then factor in 1-2 car chargers too.
Now you're looking at over $100-150 on wires alone that you have to start buying all over again.
Like Geckotek said its not just the price but if you can find them cheaper elsewhere why not?
At the Apple store and AT&T stores they had car charges for the iphone 4 for example for $30+ and on ebay and monoprice for $1-2.
I had bought plenty of aftermarket usb wires, plugs, docks, car chargers for all my iphones since 2007 and never had an issue. All still work and charge fine.
And this nonsense that Apples are better and other ones will cause damage is just bs. That's what Monster cable wants you to think too when you buy their $140 HDMI wires.
Point is wires do go bad sometimes, you might get defective ones too and yes even from Apple we saw plenty of cases where factory wires and chargers melted and had many issues.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

What if you want a few - One for your car, one for your office, one for your bedroom etc... That's almost $60 - It adds up.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

I probably make more than you....rich people don't get that way by pissing away dollar bills.

Edit: To be clear, I've purchased one of the Apple cables already becuase I don't want to carry one back and forth between the car and the house. However, I would really like to keep several more around. It's not worth paying $20 a pop for 4-5 more cables, but like others I'll buy several more when Monoprice offers a cheaper alternative.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
as much as i love apple and their products...how is it that people give them a pass for being monopolistic and becoming the new "Monster Cables" to sell overpriced cables?...it seems anti-competitive to me to do this with cables..

The difference is that they don't try and sell gold plated HDMI cables claiming better video quality...from a digital signal.

Also they design the standards, so they set their price unlike people just implementing a spec sheet and pricing based on the market.

-Knight-

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
I didn't want to run the risk of burning my iP5 with some cheap knockoff if there is any yet. I ordered one from Apple directly and just today I received shipping tracking so I'll get it on Wednesday. Looks like the 2-3 weeks lead time is not accurate. I'll wait a while before the decent cheap cables are being sold and tested before I go buying them.

Ishimaru

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Los Angeles
What if you want a few - One for your car, one for your office, one for your bedroom etc... That's almost $60 - It adds up.
well, you only need to buy two since one came with your phone. I bought two for ~$48 with tax and shipping. You don't see me crying about the price.

----------

I probably make more than you....rich people don't get that way by pissing away dollar bills.

Edit: To be clear, I've purchased one of the Apple cables already becuase I don't want to carry one back and forth between the car and the house. However, I would really like to keep several more around. It's not worth paying $20 a pop for 4-5 more cables, but like others I'll buy several more when Monoprice offers a cheaper alternative.
Think again chief. And if you truly think you do, you wouldn't be crying over $19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.