Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I didn't think of that last bit that's a good point, if they make the 12.9" iPad Pro into a bigger display could they add things like more multitasking features, 3 or 4 window multitasking and or more split view tabs. If these are shown off at WWDC then they may demo such features in the new IOS.

Updated iPad Pro's with no home button and Face ID would remove a lot of the chin at the bottom and possibly up top of they slim down the bezels as well we could see a 13.5" - 14" iPad Pro. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with this. Face ID is brilliant and deserves to be on all IOS and Mac devices.

Yea I think that's the logical next step for iOS on the iPad. I am pretty happy as is right now in my workflow, but I am always open to improvements. I agree, Face ID has been great so far and I can't wait to have it on my iPad. Getting rid of the home button is ideal as well.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Before people complain about the lack of an SE update, see it as a chance for them to include an A11 later rather than an A10 now.

They could at least put in an all LCD-front like everyone else on the market is doing. There are very few among us who will notice the speed difference in real life usage. Although everybody will notice it's ancient screen with all bezel and big for head and chin.

To keep phones (and computers) relevant in a fast moving landscape it's not too much to ask to do something. It seems to me that Apple is stalling on all fronts. But according to Tim: we're not going after quantity but about delivering the best in every category we're in o_O

I hope a brave reporter with knowledge what's on the market today dares to ask him what Tim thinks is THE BEST APPLE PRODUCT at the moment and how he thinks his computers and phones stack up to what's already on the market.

APPLE and Tim: it's an embarrassment you sell the ancient pieces of hardware for the same price it was introduced years ago. Stop talking about the best and start delivering them already. It's been years....

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Y'all are too caught up on differences in screen size. It's all a function of bezels and overall device size. Developers will get these minor differences to work with apps and everything will be beautiful.

I honestly think people just enjoy complaining.

The user getting an 11" screen will be a superior experience from a 10.5 with no increase in physical size, perhaps even a decrease.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
No OLED (or what Apple calls super retina) means no interest from me. But that's fine and can wait. I'm good with my old ipad pro. There's nothing rumored here worth spending on. It's not like my ipad use is that crucial or demanding.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
It would be incredibly annoying to try to watch videos/movies on a bezeless iPad like the one pictured. I really hope the new design won't be like that. There needs to be room for your hands!

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I like Face ID on my phone -- though admittedly it doesn't always work if the phone isn't near 90 degrees, and definitely not sitting on a table. Unless Apple has massively improved the angle range Face ID cameras can detect a face I don't think I'd jump to buy an iPad with Face ID. It would make unlocking it too clunky having to raise it each time. (I've owned at least 1 iPad from every generation except iPad 4, so, yes, I'm a serial upgrader. I currently own 1 each of the current models).

Also Face ID was a necessity because of the X's OLED screen. Does this mean the iPad Pro will gain an OLED screen? That could be interesting, but also more expensive. I have no complaints about any of my iPad's screens. Are consumers ready for an iPP starting at $749 or even $799 -- that's with maybe 32GB and no cellular. Seems a bit outlandish given iOSes limitations.
[doublepost=1520950483][/doublepost]
It would be incredibly annoying to try to watch videos/movies on a bezeless iPad like the one pictured. I really hope the new design won't be like that. There needs to be room for your hands!

But who holds their iPad when watching a movie? The only time I watch moves is on a plane. I rest it on the seat tray. It's too heavy to hold for hours. Even when I'm using it to browse the internet or read I usually let it rest on the palm of my hands. I don't kung-fu grip the sides. Same goes for my near bezel-free X. I'll take more screen real estate over bezel any day if everything else is the same.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
The problem with this idea is that we all have iPad Mini and Mac Mini experiences too (and some have Mac Pro experiences)...

"Before people complain about the lack of a Mac Mini update, see it as a chance for them to include Skylake, no Kaby Lake, no Coffee Lake". And where's a quad-core" processor? And the wait just ticks on and on, now 1,244 days since last release (which, by the way, many considered a step back from the 2012 Mac Mini by Apple taking key things away, rather than tangibly upgrading the 2012)

FYI: there's a post on this site called "The new Mac Mini is almost certainly coming" started Dec 7, 2013 with 11,862 replies (in 475 pages) and well over 1.5M views. It's packed full of enthusiasm for a new Mac Mini that flares up over and over in new Mini anticipation, only to be dashed by Apple opting to do nothing... again... and again.

Same with iPad Mini: still for sale with an amazing A8 processor, when Apple has since rolled out an A9, A10 and A11. It's now 357 days since the last release (and A12 likely about 6 months from release). In countless threads, you can see people writing much enthusiasm about buying a "5" as soon as Apple would roll one out... how it's the "perfect" tablet form factor and how the new iPhone phablet and/or the bezel-less iPad still have the big hole in the in-between sizes that a refreshed mini would fill.

I'll hope right with you but Apple sets an example of losing interest in select products and letting them just wait and wait and wait on updates. It very well could be that Apple is right on top of anticipating the latest & greatest chips but history shows a lot of latest & greatest coming & going. What's different this time?
Oh trust me, I know about that thread. It’s more wishful thinking at this point, to be honest.
[doublepost=1520951144][/doublepost]
How about an A11 now?
That’s asking for too much.

Sarcasm, but I’m sure that’s what they think.

Reactions: MartyvH and Kabeyun

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I hope so! Holding off on getting an iPad Pro until the new ones release. But every time I do web browsing on my phone I get closer to just buying one now. Hate using my MBP and browsing for an extended period of time on my phone is annoying, a new tablet would be perfect
Why do you hate using your MBP, out of curiosity? Is it a 2016-17 model?
[doublepost=1520951859][/doublepost]
No OLED (or what Apple calls super retina) means no interest from me. But that's fine and can wait. I'm good with my old ipad pro. There's nothing rumored here worth spending on. It's not like my ipad use is that crucial or demanding.
OLED would mean bye-bye ProMotion. No more smooth scrolling. Instead we’d get ghosting text and headaches galore. No thanks.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
So this will presumably be phased in like the X - an 11 inch alongside the 10.5 and 12.9 this year, then next year consolidated into 11 and 13 inch bezel-less options?

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Why do you hate using your MBP, out of curiosity? Is it a 2016-17 model?
[doublepost=1520951859][/doublepost]
OLED would mean bye-bye ProMotion. No more smooth scrolling. Instead we’d get ghosting text and headaches galore. No thanks.

Because all iPads before that one just gave everyone ghosting text and headaches galore... The forums was just filled with millions of people with ghosting text and headaches galore.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
So this will presumably be phased in like the X - an 11 inch alongside the 10.5 and 12.9 this year, then next year consolidated into 11 and 13 inch bezel-less options?

It will probably replace the 10.5” iPad Pro by taking out the home button and so on.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Well, at least this way fragmentation can become "magical", with Tim being super excited to tell us about it.

This "Fragmentation" is related more toward having one Apple OS for all devices. Apple OS and Apple OS Mobile. It's been fairly clear IMO anyhow that this has been the direction for a while now. iOS 11 is a piece of fragmented bloatware, as is High Sierra. The square peg is not ready to go in the round hole, and we are all Beta Testers due to being locked in the Garden. Shame on you Apple. :apple:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

I have heard this, but I never put my hands on the bezels currently. I typically have it on my desk with the ASK or I am sitting on my couch or a chair with my fingers on the back and using my thumbs to tap. My palms rest against the sides. I don't see no bezels as an issue in use.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It will probably replace the 10.5” iPad Pro by taking out the home button and so on.
That would make sense, but Apple seem to have lost the ability to introduce a new form factor without increasing the price somewhere along the line, and I don't see further iPad price rises flying so they will presumably want to keep a less expensive pro model around (this could well exceed the price fo the 12.9 even if it isn't oled)

Reactions: pratikindia

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
If we have the 10.5 updated to 11", would it make sense to have the 12.9 updated to 13.3?

Given how Apple has fixated on the 13.3" Size for some reason.

And with these size increase, what are the chances we see a 8.9" inch iPad Mini?

And I hope they will up the memory as well. 6Gb ? 8GB ?

bwintx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I love Face ID on my X but am a bit leery about its being on the iPad unless this will be a Face ID that can "know" multiple faces, since the iPad tends to get passed around among family members more than a phone would be. Right now, our iPad Pro 9.7" "knows" enough fingerprints that both my wife and I can use it. If a Face ID-equipped iPad "knows" only one person while others in the family have to enter the passcode -- not a huge deal, but might not be optimal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.