Chris Lattner Says Opportunity to Work on Tesla's Ambitious Self-Driving Efforts Was 'Irresistible'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 17, 2017.

1. hanser macrumors regular

I do not see what this rant has to do with the quoted fact that Apple invests over 10 time more into research than Tesla...

2. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Chris' last famous words:
    "**** off Siri, just launch that navigation app and I'll key in my next destination "

3. cicalinarrot macrumors regular

cicalinarrot

So... Apple isn't actually working on a car. End of the story.
    Don't think anyone will be surprised but at least we can stop stupid rumors.

4. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

What a classy guy. He exited on the nicest possible terms and seems rather humble. I wish him all the best at Tesla.

5. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

This makes sense, but what does it say about project Titan? If Apple had a compelling autonomous vehicle technologies in the works, seems like he may have stuck around, unless he really just likes Tesla that much.

My guess is project Titan is still a very long way from having anything see the light of day, or that the project simply isn't what everyone thinks.

Personally I always guessed that it involves an AR system to be equipped in other already-autonomous manufacturers cars, but who knows.

6. Sevendaymelee macrumors 6502

Sevendaymelee

Right... because every single coder working for Apple from MIT are clearly untalented hacks.

7. otternonsense, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017

otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

That is a wild assertion, in no way I have implied such a thing. Apple employs brilliant staff. It's the apparent lack of management direction, evidenced by a streak of underwhelming products and unconfirmed hype, that expectedly drives those brains to pursue better challenges elsewhere.

In short, Apple lacks vision and bleeds talent. Hope it's clear now.

8. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

How about the fact that Apple never had a secret car project because it was a 'click bait' headline that pathetically desperate websites created to generate buzz about a non-existent product. How about less fake news, less speculation and more facts - you know, the unsexy part of what your job is suppose to be; to dig out facts and present them to the reading public.

9. newdeal macrumors 68020

Apples car project is DOA. No car company is going to risk their cars and drivers to self driving software from a third party. If anything they will take an existing framework and rework it to be completely their own, which is not something that Apple likes to allow.

10. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Tesla is certainly where it is at for the ambitious and also for customers. The old brands are falling.

11. steve23094, Jan 18, 2017

steve23094 macrumors 68030

steve23094

And at about 0:53 it looks to me like the car swings across onto the wrong side of the road, presumably because there is no dividing line.

Seems to me like the tech still has a way to go. When these things crash the bad publicity is huge and it will have a massive impact on popularity and legislators, even if they are statistically safer than human drivers. It reminds me of the airplane industry in that regard.

12. otternonsense, Jan 18, 2017

otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

I'm not going to argue about the car, because it's all been unsubstantiated pretty much. But it does beg the question: what are the vast Apple resources and staff allocated to in the past few years? They haven't exactly wowed the tech world or consumers with a new product category, release or update. Is it the campus? The Stores? Overall maintenance? If I was an investor I'd certainly want to know.

As a customer I would be OK to pony up the 'Apple tax' knowing that the money is funneled into R&D for decent future defining products, but it isn't. iCloud is rather weak, Maps still sucks, iOS and OS X have lost their lustre and attention to detail, Apple Pay is not yet rolled out in several countries, the Watch is still *getting there* and so is the iPad, iPhone 7 = iPhone 6SS, the Mac line is languishing (with the latest MBP causing much controversy), routers and standalone displays are out, pro apps like Aperture died on the vine without a word from Cupertino, and finally Microsoft and Samsung are now on par with Apple in hype, satisfaction and reliability (sans the Note 7 bomb). So all my money would be actually doing is padding Apple's $220b war chest, so Cook can buy Chinese ride share companies. Not sure I'm up for that.

13. RogerWilco macrumors 6502a

RogerWilco

Spot on -- there is more to his leaving than this story reports. As for Tesla, good luck to him, I hope he negotiated a big signing bonus and kept his AAPL shares. His new company is a train wreck in slow motion. I expect they will be off the rails in less than a year.

14. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Meanwhile in BMW, GM, Ford, Mercedes lala-land, those defunct brands think innovation is about bolting a pair of daytime running lights at the front of the car... Lol.

Tesla is the future of the car industry. The others mentioned are waaaaaaay behind.

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Except all those companies have semi autonomous vehicles and electric vehicles

16. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

They may well be in the future, but they're definitely not defunct today.

17. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

They're defunct as of now. Haven't seen so many Teslas on the road this month. Come tesla model 3, well it's all over for Ford, Mercedes, GM, BMW etc, no one will want to be riding in those old metal polluting junk heaps that require $$$$ of oil related consumables during their life. That Tesla autopilot is supreme.

Viva simplicity. Viva Apple. Viva Tesla.

18. Grey Area macrumors regular

Autolanding has been around since the sixties. It requires a ground station that provides the autopilot with exact guidance. There are also strict limits regarding the weather conditions, as e.g. the systems are not sufficiently flexible to handle winds above certain strength. Also, runways are straight and horizontal, and nothing gets in the way. In short, autolanding works well because it is a fairly controlled situation with few variables and a "simple" environment, and you have the vehicle and the environment actively interacting.

In comparison, autonomous cars have to gather their own information from a very variable environment designed (if at all) for human drivers. There is a reason autonomous driving has not been around since the sixties, it is a much harder problem than autonomous landing.

There are so many variables, so many exceptions to think of. Recently Tesla got criticized by the German road traffic agency because their system did not know that yellow street markings (used there to redirect traffic temporarily at construction sites) take precedence over the regular white ones. There will be countless issues like that. It can be done, but right now I would be hesitant to use an autonomous car. My daily commute involves 15 km of winding forest road without any markings, at many places too narrow for two cars side by side, and at the moment covered by a thick layer of ice. I'm sure autonomous cars will be able to handle this better than me once the road sides are plastered with position beacons, but until that happens I will let others do the testing. :/

19. saudade macrumors 6502

saudade

Judas, would you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?

20. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Yeh, BMW, GM, Ford, Mercedes semi autonomous driving vehicles are total trash, not even comparable to the a Tesla. They do bubba auto driving, needs a sitter and nanny.

Tesla is in a completely different class, a better class of luxury, a better class of ride, a better class of performance and speed, a better class of savings, better class of environmental protection. Put simply, BMW, GM, Ford, Mercedes, are dirty oily rags, a hellish experience from service #1 onwards.

Tesla is pure, simple, clean, luxurious, the future. Life's good with Tesla.

21. steve23094 macrumors 68030

steve23094

Has any group assessed whether the overall environmental impact of these cars is better than traditional vehicles? The impact of electricity generation and the impact of the manufacturing and then disposal process?

This is about hybrid vehicles and dates from 2010, so things might have moved on since then:-
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/sc...r-production-waste-offset-hybrid-benefits.htm

22. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

You'd have to be rather gullible or misleading to think burning oil was cleaner than not burning oil and sourcing energy from solar and wind. Hybrid is defunct technology, think early 2000s, we've moved far ahead, say hello to 2017!

Tesla is designed as a zero emission clean driving car, while GM, BMW, Mercedes, Ford etc burn oil like its going out of fashion, polluting the world. Horse drawn carriage is cleaner than GM, BMW, Mercedes, Ford metal junk.
    (ps Hi Chevron, nice to see you here again on the forums!)

Viva Apple, viva Tesla, viva clean energy, viva simplicity!

23. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Sigh, no.

Defunct means:

defunct
    dɪˈfʌŋ(k)t/
    adjective
    1. no longer existing or functioning.
    As far as I know all those companies you listed are still in business manufacturing and selling their motorcars.

It is a simple concept, but that word does not mean what you think it does.

24. freezelighter macrumors 6502

freezelighter

People need to understand and accept that we have 2017 now.
    Since 2 years its time for the future to come.
    With self-driving and flying cars.
    No, seriously - this is reality and everybody should realize it.

25. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Funny that I say the similar thing about the new company when I changed jobs. Few years later, I change jobs again and repeat the same statement. This is the best company to work for, irresistible. ;-)