Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just how many silly movies are they going to make about Steve Jobs? He's dead, and just mush in the casket.
How many have they made? How many movies have they made about all kinds of other people or even fictional characters that don't even exist?

----------

I just don't see the appeal of the movies. We don't have videos of Steve Jobs' private life, but we have video of most of his public life, presentations, interviews, which are endlessly entertaining. He lived in recent time that we were able to view. It's not like Lincoln where we have no videos and weren't present and need it recreated to get what it might have been like.
There are many movies of all kinds of documented events or people that are really interesting to see because they tell a story and do it well. That's kind of the point of movies in general and why people watch movies in general.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So, another one??

i don't mind one movie of a lessor known like The Social Network, but Steve ?? He changed the industry, what ever has this guy done? He'll win a medal :p

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I love Steve Jobs, but how many movies are there about him after he passed away? I'm ok with Bale, I'm just wondering why it's necessary....
How many movies are there of other people who passed away or are even still alive (or even fictional characters who don't exist)? That's not really how movies work.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
"...due to his undeniable resemblance to Job."

Okay, I'll play. I utterly deny seeing a resemblance, other than the fact that they are both white men who sometimes have a beard.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Good casting if he's selected. Everyone focused on his performance in American Hustle discounting his amazing acting in Out Of The Furnace last year.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I still doubt if there is any movie out there that can top "Pirates of Silicon Valley" !

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
And Woz will chime in and say how everything isn't how it really happened like he always does.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
But his bald wig was so convincing in AH. He could surely do later Jobs too.

Agree although AH was generally overrated anyway...but he's a great actor generally and knows how to really get into a role so I think he'd do a superb job.

I agree with Carl Sagan, AH as a movie was overrated and thats what I originally meant. Bale is a great actor and if he gets cast I can see him doing a really good job.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Maybe it's the photos they chose but I see no resemblance whatsoever.

Does he really need to resemble Steve? Kutcher was a close match but he did a crappy job. As long as Bale have better acting I really don't care how he looks as long as he is wearing black turtlenecks and round wire rims.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
You mean Oscar award winning actor, Christian Bale. [The Fighter]

One of my favorites. He would nail it.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
"...due to his undeniable resemblance to Job."

Okay, I'll play. I utterly deny seeing a resemblance, other than the fact that they are both white men who sometimes have a beard.
I guess some don't see it, but there are certainly more visual similarities between them than just the color of their skin or presence of hair.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
I also vote for Noah Wyle. He nailed it in Pirates of Silicon Valley. I still re-watch that movie from time to time. Really good movie.

And whomever said Noah doesn't look like Steve Jobs needs glasses, he looked just like him.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Maybe get a skinny guy to play Woz this time. Just to **** with people's heads.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
First Jesus, now Jobs?

First Newsies now Jobs!

Bale is an excellent actor who could play Jobs even if the resemblance was less. Seems like an excellent choice to me.

----------

Right, but it was a movie about Steve Jobs. I don't think typical movie going public is going to make too much of a distinction. I'm not saying its going to be a bad movie, but with the prior movie doing poorly, this may be a hard sell.

The typical moving going public had little to no knowledge of the kutcher film, so I don't think it creates any issues. Only people on nerdy fan sites like Mac rumors had the jobs movie on their radar. Sorkin's attachment alone will get it a lot of publicity as it comes to marketing time. Add in a capable director like fincher and a movie star/talented actor like Bale and the other movie will have ceased to exist.

Tl;dr The Jobs movie with kutcher will have zero impact on the viability or success of this project.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
Sorkin and Fincher I am 100% behind! Actors don't really matter..they are just meat puppets.

American Pyscho is a great movie. It is a great movie pretty much on the back of Christian Bale alone. That movie would have ranged from a disaster to mediocre with most other actors.

Bale is so transcendent actor. Heck he convinced people you could sort of act in a batman movie. Anyone whose knowledge of Bale's career centers on Batman is missing out.

We have movie stars and great actors. Then we have a handful of people who are both amazing actors and movie stars. Bale is one of those.

I am intrigued to see bale work within the confines of Sorkin dialogue.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Am I the only one who finds it amazing how many people say "Not another one?"

IIRC, This version was originally announced before the Kutcher movie was. Sure it wasn't made first, but you can tell it'll be better by the mere fact they aren't rushing to market.

If its anything like Social Network (even with it's inaccuracies) it'll be well worth the wait. I just hope people remember at the end of the day it is a movie - and movies (including documentaries) are never 100% accurate.

That said - may wait until it comes on Netflix if Bale is in it. It'll be hard to watch it with his annoyingly gruff voice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.