Claimed Next-Generation iPod Nano Cases Offer Hints at Device's Physical Features

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

With Apple's media event just two days away, iPod rumors are swinging into high gear. Rumors of a smaller iPod nano kicked off late last week and have been quickly followed by a flurry purported case leaks and additional claims supporting the belief. 9 to 5 Mac and AppleInsider share some additional cases and screen protectors that have popped up on Asian e-commerce sites with claims that they are for a forthcoming iPod nano model.

Mockup of next-generation iPod nano - almost certainly a speculative design concept
One of the new case leaks offers enough detail that we can begin to guess at some of the physical features of the next-generation iPod nano. A long slot on the edge of case certainly appears to be designed to accommodate Apple's 30-pin dock connector, which has been claimed to be included on the new device. An elongated hole on the opposite edge likely represents an on/off or hold switch as found on several previous and current iPod models.

Speculative identification of next-generation iPod nano physical features
The remaining three holes visible on the claimed iPod nano case are less obvious in their functionality, but one (possibly the one next to the dock connector) is certain to be a headphone jack. The remaining pair of holes in close proximity along the opposite edge could accommodate physical volume buttons similar to those found on the iPhone 4, although that conclusion is the most speculative of the identifications.

Finally, all of the purported cases contain either a completely open back or an open slot on the rear of the case, a feature that is rumored to accommodate a clip as was found on earlier-generation iPod shuffle models.

Article Link: Claimed Next-Generation iPod Nano Cases Offer Hints at Device's Physical Features

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I think click-wheel iPods are going bye bye. I'll be surprised if the iPod Classic survives.

Mark

mjsto

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
It seems clear that Apple is going to merge the Nano and the Shuffle. $99 price point?

mondesi43

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
Slightly larger than old shuffle, touch screen, clip, and VOLUME BUTTONS? I'll take one last year.

i.evolve

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
confused

:confused:Im still very confused about this being a NANO. I mean why would they introduce the camera as early as last year, only to make that obsolete. I'm thinking this will definitely be the new shuffle, based on the hardware and software issues of the previous shuffle. Just my opinon though.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
If people were saying the the iPad was just a big iPod touch this would just be a small iPod touch. This is going to be an interesting event I think

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I just hope you can actually turn the device OFF. I've gotten a ton of gripes from my co-worker about how he uses his nano to bikeride every weekend, and goes to pick it up after a week and finds it completely drained. You can turn off iOS devices, and I hope they allow you to do the same with the nano.

Shipwrecked22

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
Yeah I was talking to Steve Jobs today about those 3cm touch screens... said he was announcing something not too magical but really revolutionary this wednesday. As he walked away this photo fell out of his pocket!

Xavier

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
It will be interesting if this is actually released.

How do you hold it? how do you navigate? Does it really have wifi?

So many questions!

A Mac Gamer

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
US
I don't really like it. I prefer to have real buttons when I exercise so I can just hit the next track when I have shuffle on, can't do that with these touch screens through fabric.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Totally makes sense. Inevitable, really, when you think about it. Won't be long before iMacs are all touch-based too, running on OS X with an iOS UI layer (or, if more OS X features are extended into iOS, just iOS itself). As far as physical controls, I assume the headphones and cord could still have navigation controls built in.

tookyfes

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
Why are we all just assuming this is going to be a Nano? I really feel like they wouldn't make the Nano so small... It could just be a shuffle...

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
Im buying regardless if its a nano, shuffle, or micro.:D Looks to be a great event this year as have the other 2 this year.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
It seems clear that Apple is going to merge the Nano and the Shuffle. $99 price point?
That's what I am thinking. I can't imagine this being over $100, but you never know. A visual shuffle 2G that is a kinda mini-Nano is a good choice, if they bring down the iPT to $149 & up.

I'd buy one for sub $100, unless a low end shuffle is made which will cost sub $50.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
WOW wait the mock up had a wifi symbol and safari, you dont acttually think it will have wifi? that would mean streaming music and video, on this little device? somebody please tell me this is going to have wifi

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
I'm going to go out on s limb and say this now. Not a nano or a shuffle, this will be a completely different product, quite possibly replacing one or the other of the previous series but called something completely different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.