Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjones92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
Hello,

I have a 2013 macbook pro 15" retina (running Catalina) with an internal SSD which last year failed in some way/messed up, after it froze, I powered it off and then upon restarting couldnt boot onto/select the Mac OS drive. Its worth noting the hard drive was partitioned so it had windows on it also using bootcamp - which I now regret as I'm sure that was the cause of the failure.

I managed to recover some files off the HD using an OS installed on an external drive then using data recovery software.

Now its like a year later and I simply want to erase all the data on the internal SSD and have a fresh OS to work from. However I've had some issues:

- I cant reinstall the OS in recovery mode as the it only locates the bootcamp partition and the external OS drive and the bootcamp one is locked anyway. I imagine the Mac OS one isnt available because it isnt mounted and as below, I cant mount it.

- I cant erase the main SSD drive because when it starts processing it gets stuck on 'waiting for partitions to activate'

- The first aid doesnt work on the drive and shows an error message

- The greyed out mac OS volume wont mount which also means I cant manually delete the windows partition to see if that helps

(see attached images)

I had these results using disk utility within OS installed on the external HD and when using command + R recovery mode at start up to access disk utility that way.

I'm not super knowledgable on this stuff but have done some research and either the SDD is completely failed (which I dont think it is considering its still visible in disk utility etc) or something to do with the partition has messed up and thats whats preventing me from properly erasing and reformatting the drive.

I've also noticed when doing the diskutil list command in terminal there is loads of random disks (see the images attached).

Thought just wiping a drive would be simpler than this! But any help would be super helpful :) thank you.

Attachments

• Terminal Drives 1.jpg
    Terminal Drives 1.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 146
  • OS Install.jpg
    OS Install.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Terminal Drives 2.jpg
    Terminal Drives 2.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Main SSD.png
    Main SSD.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
  • Disk Mount.png
    Disk Mount.png
    2 MB · Views: 96
  • First Aid.png
    First Aid.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
  • Partition.png
    Partition.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 87

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Make usb catalina install. There are many apps that do it On pc or macs.
boot mac from usb, use installer’s disk utility to format disk and reinstall catalina

mjones92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
Make usb catalina install. There are many apps that do it On pc or macs.
boot mac from usb, use installer’s disk utility to format disk and reinstall catalina
I have catalina installed on a memory stick as mentioned but I get the same errors when accessing the internal drive through disk utility on the memory stick OS. Or am I missing something and need to do it a different way? Thanks for the reply.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I have catalina installed on a memory stick as mentioned but I get the same errors when accessing the internal drive through disk utility on the memory stick OS. Or am I missing something and need to do it a different way? Thanks for the reply.
if disk utility cant do it then use terminal on installer and use that terminal command to fully erase disk. Once erased, use disk utilty to format for install. Terminal commands are much more powerful

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

He isn't talking about running Catalina on the USB stick. He's talking about creating a USB install disk for Catalina.

If you are able to boot the Mac to Windows, or have a Windows machine somewhere other than that Mac, you can follow the instructions from here:

Once you have the installer made, follow step #1 in the Intel Processor section of the support link from Apple, and you should be good to go for formatting the internal drive and installing Catalina.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.