Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Hi,

I had to move my computers and have currently lost my ethernet connection ... I thought I would have to buy a WiFi card for my Mac Pro 5,1 running Mojave 10.14.6.

But it is getting WiFi ... and I did not see a WiFi card in it ... am there isn't a USB WiFi device either (there is a bluetooth USB dongle for a Logitech MX mouse though, but I am currently using a USB powered super basic mouse.

I am wondering when I further upgrade the OS, whether I will loose the WiFi?

It sounds like I have an airport extreme card in the 5,1 ....

The report describes the WiFi:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8E)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.102.31)
MAC Address: 28:etc etc etc etc
Locale: APAC
Country Code: AU
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Wake On Wireless: Supported
AirDrop: Supported

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
Hi,

I had to move my computers and have currently lost my ethernet connection ... I thought I would have to buy a WiFi card for my Mac Pro 5,1 running Mojave 10.14.6.

But it is getting WiFi ... and I did not see a WiFi card in it ... am there isn't a USB WiFi device either (there is a bluetooth USB dongle for a Logitech MX mouse though, but I am currently using a USB powered super basic mouse.

I am wondering when I further upgrade the OS, whether I will loose the WiFi?

It sounds like I have an airport extreme card in the 5,1 ....

The report describes the WiFi:
I can't guarantee it but I have the OEM Apple wifi adapter that I bought off ebay and installed myself in my 4,1 that I firmware updated to 5,1 running Catalina via DosDude patcher and have no issues with wifi. That is however as far as you'll likely get with MacOS on that system.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Thanks. If I go to Catalina, I may as well go to later systems (via Opencore of course). It's a BCM94360 card in the mini PCIe slot, or perhaps a Fenvi FV-T919 PCIe card based on the BCM94360 - but that would take up my spare PCIe slot.

I could move my RAID card from slot one to slot two though (swapping with the RX580 GPU) which I think would open up two spare PCIe slots. Then, I could have a USB-C slot or at least, a faster USB slot. Then its game over for expansion ... so I'm going looking firstly for the mini PCIe BCM94360 card, as long as it doesn't cost a fortune. Last time I looked they were expensive.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Is there a 'procedure' for replacing the BR2032 battery in a 5.1....?
As my Mac very rarely gets restarted, I am upgrading some storage, so a good opportunity.

i.e.
1. Should the Mac be left plugged in (but off), or completely remove the plug.
2. Should you do a pram reset afterwards.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Service Source is telling Mains off, old battery out, new in. Not more.

I press the rtc reset switch a few seconds after.

A3017507-9652-4BAD-8A30-0EB18A6C46AD.png

• Love
Reactions: MarkC426

ALF07

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2015
Hello, not really sure if this is the correct place but basically i'm having a bit of an issue with my Mac Pro 4,1 > 5,1.

I'm running a Radeon IV 16gb with Pixlas Mod and opencore Monterrey ( i used the installed created and named after a person, i can't find the name cause i'm i can't get on my browser to find my bookmark)

Basically everything worked well for the first month or so, every now and then i'd turn on the machine and the Radeon would run super loud and the Mac wouldn't boot. I tried to find any reasons why but couldn't find much but after a few hard resets the Mac would boot no issues. Recently i noticed the machine would be running fine by the two monitors would read 'no signal' after a few reboots i played a video and waiting for the issues to arise, the video was continuing to play with sound and i could pause and play with my keyboard but i had no monitor signal, eventually this would stop or freeze entirely.

Eventually i wouldn't even get the boot up screen the mac would turn on, chime and run but with no single to monitors. I reset the SMC and Nvram and i now have the initial chime, Opencore Boot screen and then the apple logo with the loading bar but about half way on the loading bar the monitors would no signal again and now i'm here.

I'm wondering if its potentially an issue with the Pixlas mod i did, i had noticed a few issues with my USB drives if i removed and then replugged in a mouse for example it wouldn't connect again.

Any idea? Thanks

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
i had noticed a few issues with my USB drives if i removed and then replugged in a mouse for example it wouldn't connect again.
This is a known issue and not related to your graphic card issue. Apple removed the support for USB 1.1 device. This is why your cMP cannot recgnoise the USB mouse (a USB 1.1 HID) if you connect it "inside" Monterey. But if you plug that into the USB port before boot, it will just keep working. Or the work around is to connect the USB 1.1 device via a USB hub.

Anyway, back to your graphic card issue. According to your decsription. It sounds like a hardware failure.

Full fan speed from the graphic card for no reason isn't a good sign at all. Especially if you just power it on, but not stressing the card inside macOS.

If you suspect the Pixlas mod causing the issue, you can buy some cables to power the Radeon VII in this way

I created a kext for the Radoen VII to run safely with mini 6pins only (at least good for short period of time)

You may try this with just using the mini 6pins to power the card. I can't guarantee your card's silicon quality is better than my card. So, I can't guarantee your card's stability under stress (with that kext). However, it should be good enough for your to boot to desktop, browse the web, watch videos, etc.

If you are happy to inject codes into OpenCore, you may even further lower the Radeon VII's power draw by injecting this code (in this case, no need to apply the kext above).

But if your card shows the same behaviour with the mini 6pins. Then either the PSU itself is bad (not enough power to the card no matter how you connect them together). Or the PCIe slot is bad (this is easy, move the card to slot 2 can confirm / fix it). Or the card itself is bad.

If it's a graphic card failure, there is not much you can do about it. Radeon VII should be out of warranty already. All you can do is basically open it up, have a look if anything loose / broken. Re-apply thermal paste [P.S. the original graphite pad is really good. Open the card most likely will break that pad. AFAIK, there is no thermal paste can do better than that graphite pad. The only better solution is liquid metal. But if you have concern about liquid metal, please make sure you use the absolute best thermal paste you can get (at reasonable price, of course)].

Since the graphite pad won't dry up, it should just work. So, I don't think re-paste itself can help anything. However, open it up, clear the dust, may bring some circuit back to normal. This is entirely possible.

If this doesn't help, then the last thing you can do is the bake the card (many videos on Youtbube about this). It may bring the card back, but usually will fail again after few months. This is pretty much just for you to buy time to get another card.

Reactions: ALF07

ALF07

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2015
This is a known issue and not related to your graphic card issue. Apple removed the support for USB 1.1 device. This is why your cMP cannot recgnoise the USB mouse (a USB 1.1 HID) if you connect it "inside" Monterey. But if you plug that into the USB port before boot, it will just keep working. Or the work around is to connect the USB 1.1 device via a USB hub.

Anyway, back to your graphic card issue. According to your decsription. It sounds like a hardware failure.

Full fan speed from the graphic card for no reason isn't a good sign at all. Especially if you just power it on, but not stressing the card inside macOS.

If you suspect the Pixlas mod causing the issue, you can buy some cables to power the Radeon VII in this way

I created a kext for the Radoen VII to run safely with mini 6pins only (at least good for short period of time)

You may try this with just using the mini 6pins to power the card. I can't guarantee your card's silicon quality is better than my card. So, I can't guarantee your card's stability under stress (with that kext). However, it should be good enough for your to boot to desktop, browse the web, watch videos, etc.

If you are happy to inject codes into OpenCore, you may even further lower the Radeon VII's power draw by injecting this code (in this case, no need to apply the kext above).

But if your card shows the same behaviour with the mini 6pins. Then either the PSU itself is bad (not enough power to the card no matter how you connect them together). Or the PCIe slot is bad (this is easy, move the card to slot 2 can confirm / fix it). Or the card itself is bad.

If it's a graphic card failure, there is not much you can do about it. Radeon VII should be out of warranty already. All you can do is basically open it up, have a look if anything loose / broken. Re-apply thermal paste [P.S. the original graphite pad is really good. Open the card most likely will break that pad. AFAIK, there is no thermal paste can do better than that graphite pad. The only better solution is liquid metal. But if you have concern about liquid metal, please make sure you use the absolute best thermal paste you can get (at reasonable price, of course)].

Since the graphite pad won't dry up, it should just work. So, I don't think re-paste itself can help anything. However, open it up, clear the dust, may bring some circuit back to normal. This is entirely possible.

If this doesn't help, then the last thing you can do is the bake the card (many videos on Youtbube about this). It may bring the card back, but usually will fail again after few months. This is pretty much just for you to buy time to get another card.
Thank you for this.

I will start trouble shooting with your advice and suggestions and see what happens i guess.

Again thank you i feel a little less like my Mac is done.

chris-snd

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2021
europe
Hi,

Yesterday i ordered a samsung 128 gb (8 x 16gb modules) ram kit for my mac pro 5.1 (dual cpu x5680) Coming from 64 gb ram (8 x 8gb modules) i intent to use it in tripple channel so i have 2 spare sticks, for when ever i really need 128 gb.

I ordered from this ebay link https://www.ebay.com/itm/3516947695...GK6WA==|tkp:Bk9SR7SxpvekYg&LH_ItemCondition=3

So unfortunately i researched the real specs after ordering, because the item discription on ebay(1333 mhz, 1.5 volts) was enough at first appereance.

the object information says the model number is: M393B2G70BH0-YK0

So i searched the model number, it says it is dual ranked samsung ecc registered memory, running at 1600 mhz, and at 1.35 volts! ( the samsung website states: Voltage 1.5 V / 1.35 V in the specs)

So, now i have a couple of questions:

I know 1600 mhz memory runs just fine in a mac pro 5.1 at 1333 mhz, so that should not give any problems right, or does it give a speed penalty?

The 16 gb samsung modules are running at 1.35 volts instead of 1.5 volts, am i going to notice any difference? Will there be a speed penalty?

I guess i had to search a little longer before ordering since it seems i didn't order the optimal ram for my mac.

The seller has a 30 days return policy so that shouldn't be a problem.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The 16 gb samsung modules are running at 1.35 volts instead of 1.5 volts, am i going to notice any difference? Will there be a speed penalty?
Well, i just found out my current ram (8 x 8 gb modules) also is running at 1.35 volts, so i guess it doesn't matter that much.
All DIMM can only run at 1.5V in cMP. Your existing RAM support 1.35V, but will run at 1.5V in the cMP.

All 1.35V DIMM has backward compatibility to run at 1.5V. This is the standard.

Reactions: chris-snd

Sandleford

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Trying a number of ideas to solve a locking up 4,1. Last thing tried was changing RTC. It locks up after about an hour of use of texts email and browsing. Runs fresh install of 12, has happened with 11. Not sure enough time has been spent in 10.13 to see it occur. Will try running it for a while and see if it does.

My next thought is that it has something to do with memory but unless some went bad, 16 should be enough?

Last edited:

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Trying a number of ideas to solve a locking up 4,1. Last thing tried was changing RTC. It locks up after about an hour of use of texts email and browsing. Runs fresh install of 12, has happened with 11. Not sure enough time has been spent in 10.13 to see it occur. Will try running it for a while and see if it does.

My next thought is that it has something to do with memory but unless some went bad, 16 should be enough?
well, ive read and seen quite a bit of issues with mac pro, if your power supply is good and the cpu tray is good, ram is good, front pcb power button is good then it leaves only one singular option......THE BACKPLANE. its giving you a hint that its about to die. Now this is just my professional opinion, you dont have to take my word for it, but the best way to know for sure is to have another mac pro thats compatible to cross test and reference the parts. ive learned that the hardway. 2 are better than one. now if you choose to go that route, i would suggest a 2012 mac pro basic model. its a couple years newer and then you can put the 09 in storage for emergency usage

Last edited:

Sandleford

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Could be. When my original mac pro gave trouble I replaced the MB and the temps went down and it was all good. It was dirt cheap too. Just like now. I bid .99 on a DP tray for 29. shipping and lost to 1.25 bid haha. Sweet as they are, they are going more the way of the original MP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.