CoD: Black Ops

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Ygn, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Ygn macrumors member

To my surprise I can't find another thread about the new Call of Duty game released on the 9th... so here it is.

Has anyone pre-ordered their copy of CoD: Black Ops? And what platform are you getting it on, it's gonna be PS3 for me.

My order with Amazon changed to 'Dispatching Soon' earlier. :)

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'm gonna snag it on Tuesday afternoon. I have 50$ credit at Blockbuster so I'll get it from there. 360 for me, might as well stick with it since I have bought them all on there.

I hope it's good. MW/2 set a high bar for stupid fast paced fun.

3. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I'm getting the 360 version. I'm really excited for this. I played MW2 quite a lot, but over time, I got more and more frustrated with it. But reading about Black Ops, it seems like Treyarch have changed or fixed a lot of the things that many people had issue with...

• Quickscoping has been nerfed
    • No "Commando" Perk
    • No "One Man Army" Perk
    • "Scavenger" doesn't replenish GL rounds
    • Kill Streak rewards don't count toward more Kill Streaks
    • No Death Streaks

Combine all that with how all the Perks and Kill Streaks are unlocked for everyone at the same time, and they've fixed just about every problem I had with MW2. I also like the new "COD Points" system for buying all your Perks, Kill Streaks, Weapons, Attachments, etc. With people getting the game a few days early, I've watched a lot of videos and live streams lately, and I really like the look of the maps as well. They seem quite varied, with lots of interesting areas to battle in.

Oh yea, and there is Single Player and Zombie mode as well. :p

4. Ygn thread starter macrumors member

I've been using World at War for a bit recently mainly for the zombies so I'm looking forward to the new maps on Black Ops. I've never really been able to get into MW2, but the multiplayer of MW2 is really good so I hope Black ops follows, by trailers and videos I've watched it looks like it will.

5. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I've pre-ordered the Prestige Edition pack on the PS3. It's already been shipped and I will get it on Monday or Tuesday, shame really, cause I cannot open it until Christmas Day!!!!! hahahaha, oh I shall have to be strong..... but I thinks it's a cool pressy. I may play with the toy car more first though :D:D

6. knightmare456 macrumors newbie

knightmare456

Getting it for PS3, I haven't pre ordered it but I'll probably get it at midnight from BlockBusters.

I always preferred W@W to MW2 so I'm hoping it's gonna be more like that. If it's more like MW2 I'll probably be like this within a day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v_dFtizv7I

7. Ygn thread starter macrumors member

LOL oh dear!

I pre-ordered the hardened edition mainly for the map packs which come with it.

8. knightmare456 macrumors newbie

knightmare456

Is it just the zombie packs you get with the hardened edition? I already have all those on W@W, not paying for them again.

9. Ygn thread starter macrumors member

I believe it's just the zombie maps from WaW you get.

10. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I ordered the Hardened Edition for the 360 @ Best Buy for local store pickup.
    I have quite a few reward zone points & a gift card or two, so it was a no brainer.

Turns out it was the only way to pre order special editions @ Best Buy, otherwise if you pre order in store you can only pre order the regular edition. Gamestop capped their pre orders for hardened editions, so it was the only way for me to 'guarantee' a copy of the hardened edition. Seems the hardened edition maybe the popular one.

Looking forward to playing CoD again, as I stopped shortly after the overly expensive map packs started getting released.

11. micahR macrumors newbie

I got my copy on my desk right now. I will check it out tonight and see what's up. I'll post more tomorrow.

12. Ygn thread starter macrumors member

I got mine earlier today too, it's very good indeed. :)

13. micahR macrumors newbie

I'm worried about getting banned for getting it (a few hours) early.

14. Ygn thread starter macrumors member

I was on multiplayer earlier, you'd be surprised at how many thousands of people are already on it, via pre-orders I assume and different timezones judging by the different accents people had.

15. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

Yeah, pre-ordered mine at Best Buy. Will go there tomorrow and pick up my copy!! A busy weekend coming up!!!

16. micahR macrumors newbie

So just change the timezone and you are golden. :)

17. fsck-y dingo, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

No need to worry. If you have a retail copy of the game you can play before the official release date without any issues.

Just out of curiosity, where did the games that have already been delivered come from? I ordered through Amazon with the delivery date shipping option so I won't have mine until tomorrow. If there's a place that tends to ship early I may use them next time.

18. micahR macrumors newbie

Awesome!!

19. hamlin macrumors regular

I pre-ordered it for PS3 from ebgames. I'll pick it up after work tomorrow.

The best was COD 4: MW. That set the bar for COD games.

20. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I agree. COD 4 was the most fun I've ever had playing a FPS game. Both story mode and multiplayer games are excellent.

Black Ops looks amazing from what I've seen. I hope the attack dogs aren't as annoying as in WaW. :)

21. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'm pre-ordered from Best Buy, so I'll head there at Midnight tonight and pick it up. I'm not working Tuesday or Wednesday and I made sure to go to bed at 10AM this morning, and I woke up about 30 minutes ago. My plan is to get the game, and stay up till noon tomorrow.

God, I need a life. I told my gf that she won't see me for a week.

22. Kieranic Guest

I got it for the Xbox 360 yesterday at 8am (in the mail, that was still like 12ish hours before US because I'm in New Zealand) :)

I got the Hardened Edition and I like the game so far. Will still play Modern Warfare 2 occasionally.

23. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I got my copy at about 10am on release day here in Aus, and have had about 3 hours so far - 50/50 on campaign/multiplayer.

It pains me to say it, but so far it's pretty disappointing. I bought it mainly for the multiplayer. MW2 had it flaws - nukes, quickscoping, matchmaking - but what it had nailed was the graphical polish, sound, movement and overall look and feel.

BlackOps feels like a trip back in time. It's jerky, the guns all sound the same, the explosions are muted, the kill streaks are really pretty weak, and the graphics are pretty appalling for a 'state-of-the-art' 2010 PS3 game. Also, the RC-XD is all over the place in multiplayer, and it's seriously annoying (but everybody uses them).

I want to love it, but so far it's been a pretty negative experience for me. Will keep at it for a while, but at this stage it feels like MW2 is a much more polished game overall.

24. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

I got the game yesterday but still haven't opened it....

I'm just so addicted to GOD OF WAR 3 right now... It's is wrong that I like breaking people's necks in the underworld???

Will start Black Ops on the weekend hopefully!

25. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I have to say this game kicks the crap out of Modern Warfare 2 which felt dull and boring in multiplayer mode. The maps are far more varied than in Modern Warfare 2 and much more interesting. The game modes are pretty good and the best thing about it is the customisation you can do. Plus the new leader boards are good for those of us who are pretty competitive.

Overall I'm much happier with this game than I ever was with Modern Warfare 2 which I only ever played FFA on and people always used to cheat by using Tactical Insertion to sit next to each other and get free kills.