Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
It doesn't work very well for multitouch, and would encourage apps that don't take full advantage of multitouch.
That latter point is a good one but I think there are enough users asking for it that adding at least some option would be good as the functionality already seems to exit in a round about way.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't think I'm going to get a newer iPad. Upgrading to a desktop Mac of some sort next year is going to be expensive and more useful. I think the only thing that would get me to upgrade in 2018 is to give it a macOS docked mode or an OLED display. The chance of either of those happening this year is near zero.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
If they put C on this they should have just put it on the iPhone as well.

Doesn't make sense to have two sets of cables. I like just carrying one cable to sync/charge my iPad and iPhone.

I think if they do, it will be in the redesigned next iteration. It looks like the new iPad Pro has been redesigned with squarer edges to acommidate the wider USBC plug. This could be a sign of things to come for the next iPhone, back to the iPhone 4/5 square edges to acomódate USBC.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Does Face ID now support more than one face?
A typical iPad in a family is used by more than on person...
Not true.

iOS devices are and have always been single user devices. Apple has stated this clearly.
[doublepost=1537305488][/doublepost]
If they put C on this they should have just put it on the iPhone as well.

Doesn't make sense to have two sets of cables. I like just carrying one cable to sync/charge my iPad and iPhone.
Lots of iPads with Lightning you can choose from to match iPhone.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
Am I the minority that thinks that USB C is far inferior as compare to lightning? Somehow I wish Apple stayed with lightning on iPhone and iPad. Im OK with MBP although I find USB extremely wobbly and easy to disconnect.
But truth to be told the actually situation on Apple devices is complete mess. And I find USBA cable with 5W charger in new iPhones insulting :)

Reactions: LiveM

vpr611

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Apple's iPad Pro models are rumored to feature edge-to-edge displays with no Home button, no headphone jack, and a USB-C port instead of a Lightning port. We're expecting Apple to introduce the new iPad Pros before the end of the year, perhaps at an upcoming event in October.

Considering its a Pro device I do not see why it cannot have both Lightning and USB-C.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
I can't wait for this device. I really hope it gets an A12X. I want it to be ludicrously fast. An A11X or A12 would be kind of a bummer. Like when they put an A7 in the original iPad Air.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
a.) Am I the minority that thinks that USB C is far inferior as compare to lightning?

b.) Somehow I wish Apple stayed with lightning on iPhone and iPad.

c.) I find USBA cable with 5W charger in new iPhones insulting

a) Nope - I am among the many (?majority) who think that the Lightning interface is better than USB-C.

b) Huh? Apple is still with Lightning ports on iPhone and iPad.

c) Apple is the new Comcast - insult the consumer with 5 cent thefts!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Regarding USB-C and external displays, I think it is far more likely that the new iPPros will support the full USB-C protocols over lightening rather than using an actual USB-C port. Current iPP has a USB-C controller but the only functionality is USB 3.0 speeds (with certain peripherals) and USB-PD for fast charging. So a MiFi-certified lightening-to-USB-C cable would work with any/most USB-C peripherals—at least on a hardware level. There's a lot of driver/device use cases that Apple would have to work out.
[doublepost=1537303349][/doublepost]
Aside from ideology (touch-first devices shouldn't use pointers) couldn't rudimentary mouse/pointer support work just like it does in the iPad emulator mode of Xcode?

It's a lot easier for Apple to dump Lightning and go full USB-C.

All the USB-C dongles already exist because of MacBook.

As iPad Pro becomes more like a full computer with a larger battery, it will require faster charging like 100W USB-PD. Lightning doesn't support this.

Reactions: LiveM and AdonisSMU

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
I think external monitor support is much bigger than people here are caring for. Maybe added mouse and keyboard support can make this a better desktop alternative? I’m truly excited if it could support a ultrafine monitor

Are they saying it will be more difficult to support external monitors - or is this making it easier (whatever that means)? I'm confused.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
Supports two faces now.

It doesn't actually support two faces, just two "appearances." It's supposed to be used for a single person who changes their appearance significantly, i.e. makeup, hats/masks, wigs, etc. Nobody can be sure what 2 completely different faces would do to the algorithm.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Cue the complaints that it won't be available on the iPhone, despite as noted, it would require new hardware to do so.

If the rumor is true, then I would expect to see landscape Face ID support in iPhones next year. IMO this being a S year means little change to the only 1-yr old Face ID on the iPhone.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Right, like they couldn't engineer the X MAX last year? They held off on the bigger screen so people would have something to upgrade to. I'm a marketer, and Apple is a marketing company.
So, not an engineer?

I guess you're unaware of the supply constraints for OLED panels in 2017 and how different that landscape is now that LG can produce acceptable panels as well.

Cankoda

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Canada
Right, like they couldn't engineer the X MAX last year? They held off on the bigger screen so people would have something to upgrade to. I'm a marketer, and Apple is a marketing company.

Apple barley had enough stock to supply the iPhone X last year, people were waiting till Christmas for one. It wasn’t a marketing thing, it was a supply problem, can’t sell or market what you don’t have....

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If the rumor is true, then I would expect to see landscape Face ID support in iPhones next year. IMO this being a S year means little change to the only 1-yr old Face ID on the iPhone.

It's possible the TrueDepth sensor is larger in iPad Pro to accommodate different orientations. If so, I don't think we would see it in iPhone any time soon.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
It's nice to see Apple will be solving problems resulting from the "solution" they created to solve a problem nobody had in the first place (the entire misguided notion to create Face ID).
Not quite. The problem was people hated bezels, vehemently. And then all of these full screen, slim bezel Android phones came out that pressured Apple to have to change a very outdated phone design. Apple got rid of bezels but needed a security solution comparable to Touch ID. And I think it's clear at this stage that Touch ID under the screen wasn't a viable option 2+ years ago when they were designing the X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.