Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
Am I the only one that likes to keep a sticker on the iPad camera when not in use?
Not very useful if you need to unlock with face-id.

By the way, who on earth needs to use an external monitor with an iPad?
The monitor would have to be a touch monitor to be even remotely useful/usable.
Anyway, what’s wrong with airplay? Just by yourself a cheap ATV2 if you need that functionality.

So... Don’t keep a sticker on it? lol.

a reader

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2018
82EA0502-99C1-4445-8465-858D59493BBB.gif

Just the news I’ve been waiting for! Thank you for sharing!

Last edited:

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Cue the complaints that it won't be available on the iPhone, despite as noted, it would require new hardware to do so.

I am curious if the Xs models do support landscape FaceID, as it was mentioned in the keynote that it was “improved”. I presume Apple did not want to jump the gun on the iPad Pro announcement and ruin the surprise when it is released. I suspect that a software update will activate FaceID on the iPhone to work in landscape mode. When Apple says “improved” I take it as not only speed to unlock, however capable of landscape mode too. Why highlight the speed to unlock as improved, as I believe more RAM and the A12 Bionic silicone is contributing to that increase.

I hope I am not wrong on this suspicion, and that Apple was just saving this for the iPad release. The question is did the Xr receive the X 2017 FaceID system or the Xs “improved” hardware. FaceID 360.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I am curious if the Xs models do support landscape FaceID, as it was mentioned in the keynote that it was “improved”. I presume Apple did not want to jump the gun on the iPad Pro announcement and ruin the surprise when it is released. I suspect that a software update will activate FaceID on the iPhone to work in landscape mode. When Apple says “improved” I take it as not only speed to unlock, however capable of landscape mode too. Why highlight the speed to unlock as improved, as I believe more RAM and the A12 Bionic silicone is contributing to that increase.

I hope I am not wrong on this suspicion, and that Apple was just saving this for the iPad release. The question is did the Xr receive the X 2017 FaceID system or the Xs “improved” hardware. FaceID 360.

No they do not support it. It would require a second dot projector and setup in order to get the proper oblique angles. There are two projectors on the iPad coming out next month. You heard it here first.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
That’s actually the very definition of NOT personal opinion. As long as you don’t jailbreak, you’re fine.
This is not worth an argument, however I would point out that whether something is worth extra peace of mind IS personal opinion. That's separate to whether spying actually happens, or even if it is possible.

People spend lots of money on RFID blocking wallets, and some sleep with magnets and crystals under their pillows. I think they are crazy, but it's not my place to judge. Whether it's worth their peace of mind is still personal opinion.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
This is not worth an argument, however I would point out that whether something is worth extra peace of mind IS personal opinion. That's separate to whether spying actually happens, or even if it is possible.

People spend lots of money on RFID blocking wallets, and some sleep with magnets and crystals under their pillows. I think they are crazy, but it's not my place to judge. Whether it's worth their peace of mind is still personal opinion.

You didn’t say “worth their peace of mind.” You said “necessary.” It’s clearly not. Since it’s impossible for the camera to be activated without permission and a visible indication on-screen, it’s not necessary.

Words have meanings.

FairlyKors

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2018
Staines, East London
Am I the only one that likes to keep a sticker on the iPad camera when not in use?

Not very useful if you need to unlock with face-id.

Anyway, what’s wrong with airplay? Just by yourself a cheap ATV2 if you need that functionality.

I’m completely with you on covering up a camera that I never (or seldom) use— especially since we’re always connected to the Internet. It’s as if no one remembers the Snowden leaks that described exactly this type of unauthorized mass video surveillance via the built in cameras in our displays. I think the NSA (or whatever 3-letter org) was collecting one screen grab per minute (?) on people who weren’t even specifically targeted for surveillance.

And Apple, though hugely concerned about our privacy, has never mentioned any kind of safeguard for any of the data-vacuuming sensors stuffed into all our phones, watches, computers, tablets, et al. How many cameras and mic’s are in a new Xs MAX phone?

Even if Apple (and our ‘stable, genius’ government) aren’t overreaching when it comes to collecting audio, video, etc., there are always apps (legitimate and not) that can be used to gather and upload this data as well.

What’s interesting is that basically all of the paranoid sounding “worst case scenarios” you can imagine have already happened many times over. Right now we live in the middle of the largest, unsolved and on-going mass espionage efforts ever known.

Meanwhile, Apple (and its customers) are happy to gab about new face-ID tech... “Landscape or portrait?!” The hypothesized orientation of the next face-ID sensor has captured all the debate, while only one person here pauses to acknowledge that it’s now essentially impossible to cover up the high-res, wide angle camera that’s less than two feet from your face.

Btw, has anyone seen the documentary Active Measures yet? It’s worth a watch.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
No they do not support it. It would require a second dot projector and setup in order to get the proper oblique angles. There are two projectors on the iPad coming out next month. You heard it here first.

Let’s say there are two dot projectors as you mention, one for portrait and the other landscape. Does that mean the Xs/Max/Xr FaceID unlock the device if faced upside down, thoughts.
[doublepost=1537329288][/doublepost]
I think they mean to stop potential spying through the iSight camera. Whether it's necessary or not, is personal opinion.

Yet there are multiple cameras on the iPhone. Does this user put stickers or covers all cameras on their phone as well.
[doublepost=1537329488][/doublepost]
Hmmm... What's 'in the box' then?

A glass panel.
[doublepost=1537329724][/doublepost]
You didn’t say “worth their peace of mind.” You said “necessary.” It’s clearly not. Since it’s impossible for the camera to be activated without permission and a visible indication on-screen, it’s not necessary.

Words have meanings.

Paranoia, if you don’t trust those cameras on your phone, tablet and computer it’s time to give up technology. Nah stickers are more fun and show off my personality disorder. /s :p:D
[doublepost=1537330031][/doublepost]
I think there is a lot of fun versions of the rumours regarding the size

MacBook 12
MacBook Pro 13-15

iPad 10
iPad Pro 11-13

Sadly the well loved mini maybe no more.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I’m completely with you on covering up a camera that I never (or seldom) use— especially since we’re always connected to the Internet. It’s as if no one remembers the Snowden leaks that described exactly this type of unauthorized mass video surveillance via the built in cameras in our displays. I think the NSA (or whatever 3-letter org) was collecting one screen grab per minute (?) on people who weren’t even specifically targeted for surveillance.

And Apple, though hugely concerned about our privacy, has never mentioned any kind of safeguard for any of the data-vacuuming sensors stuffed into all our phones, watches, computers, tablets, et al. How many cameras and mic’s are in a new Xs MAX phone?

Even if Apple (and our ‘stable, genius’ government) aren’t overreaching when it comes to collecting audio, video, etc., there are always apps (legitimate and not) that can be used to gather and upload this data as well.

What’s interesting is that basically all of the paranoid sounding “worst case scenarios” you can imagine have already happened many times over. Right now we live in the middle of the largest, unsolved and on-going mass espionage efforts ever known.

Meanwhile, Apple (and its customers) are happy to gab about new face-ID tech... “Landscape or portrait?!” The hypothesized orientation of the next face-ID sensor has captured all the debate, while only one person here pauses to acknowledge that it’s now essentially impossible to cover up the high-res, wide angle camera that’s less than two feet from your face.

Btw, has anyone seen the documentary Active Measures yet? It’s worth a watch.

UK has had CCTV for decades now, privacy concerns sure. However I don’t hear the locals loosing sleep over it. There are “security” cameras in many public places you visit, and larger cameras orbiting over. I am aware the technology exist and has been used, my point is either do something about it or disconnect. With TouchID and prior there were still cameras on flip phones and are we to cover every mic. Maybe recommend to Apple to have a hard toggle/button for the camera.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Apple already has my money for one of these.

I just haven’t told my ancient iPad Air yet.

my ancient watch s0 is sadly to leave my side this week. next up is assuredly my ipad air if they put one of these. maybe not immediately though $$$ =/

Reactions: iapplelove

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia

Words have meanings.
I think you're taking me WAY too literally. If we're going to get totally pedantic, then nothing is truly 'necessary', as nobody ever needs to do anything. If we're allowing slightly less strict definitions of 'necessary', then maybe some people suffer from OCD or paranoia, which would make the word 'necessary' justified?

Yet there are multiple cameras on the iPhone. Does this user put stickers or covers all cameras on their phone as well.
I guess so? Maybe you should ask them? Probably more important to muffle all the microphones too...

Reactions: FairlyKors

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
/sigh yet another two months or so before we actually see the dang things in our hands though. Kinda hard to get excited when it’s still so far away. Glad it’s coming, but damn....

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
With the slimmer bezels, I guess the frontside will only come in black, no more white bezels, just like the new iPhones.

Pretty sure the black bezel choice was because of OLED true blacks... I would be happy if the new iPads had OLED though - the color reproduction would be much better... but I suspect that also implies a price increase ala iPhone eXpenSive to the MAX

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.