Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What type of coffee maker do you perfer?

• French Press

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Vaccumm

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Filter Drip

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Other

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters

ejb190

macrumors 65816
(Under no circumstances use one of those blade chopper monstrosities! Good for chopping herbs, death on coffee beans!)

Used to use one of those to grind fiber samples so we could measure copper content for my graduate research. Of all the lab equipment we had access to, nothing worked better, though I did manage to burn out three of them in one summer!

I am beginning to wonder if we need to make a sub-forum just for coffee around here!

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
Since we are throwing in recommendations about how to improve your coffee experience, nothing beats roasting your own beans.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
The big question is budget really, if you have a rough idea of the amount you want to spend then we can suggest some of the best items that fit within the price.

A 10 cup chemex would do you well http://www.amazon.com/Chemex-10-Cup-Classic-Series-Coffee/dp/B000NTMHRW Paper filters are easier because you just toss them in the bin or the compost with the grounds inside, no clogging the sink up with grounds like a plastic or metal filter basket.

You really need a grinder to make the best of your coffee tho like others have said.

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
I'm so far down I haven't seen daylight in years!

But I agree...I love not only the end product, but the whole process of getting to that end product.

Sounds so familiar. Tell me what you think about this - When you've setup the machine, grounds and all, heated right up to the sweet spot, and you're about to turn the dial (or push the button) or what have you - that feeling, the promise, the endless possibilities that the next few seconds hold..

Man. Think I'm going to go get some more coffee.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Firstly, the aficionados on these threads will tell you that the grinder is more important than the coffee maker, should you choose to head down that route.

Secondly, speaking for myself, at least, I must confess that I have never ever even heard of this concept of a 'gold filter'. Seriously?

When using a drip filter, at home I use a ceramic filter cone (bought from Intelligentsia coffee, recommended on this very forum; wonderful but solidly heavy), and use organic unbleached paper filters. The paper filters are organic unbleached paper which I buy in a Fairtrade/Oxfam/or Healthfood shop; abroad, I use a plastic filter cone, or a French Press; I have two of the latter at home, one, recently bought, from Le Creuset which makes excellent coffee.

Should you wish to forego filters entirely, the French press is a very easy and very forgiving way of making it. The final way I make coffee is when I make espresso, in a Bialetti moka (stove-top) stainless steel pot.

All three methods blessedly free from complications of the bells-and-whistles variety and require simply the direct application of stove top heat (the Bialetti moka pot) or instead, rely on a kettle to do the needful. Simple, yet extraordinarily effective. Transportable, too, as, given that I sound many of my days and much of my life abroad, I need a consistent and reliable method of making high quality coffee.

Edit: I knew it. While I was composing this post, the denizens who normally dwell here beat me to it, as I had thought they might…….Indeed, I was waiting for SBG, Shrink and indeed, Kurwenal….among others, to make a welcome appearance...

I'll add that if the OP plans on grinding beans, get a stand alone grinder. The fancy coffee maker, my wife bought, has a built in grinder. I don't like it because it makes a mess, moisture from the brewing process gets into it so it all has to be washed. However, if you are in a situation where you want beans ground and to wake up to a fresh brewed pot of coffee, you will have to put up with the mess. ;)

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Sounds so familiar. Tell me what you think about this - When you've setup the machine, grounds and all, heated right up to the sweet spot, and you're about to turn the dial (or push the button) or what have you - that feeling, the promise, the endless possibilities that the next few seconds hold..

Then 20 seconds later you realise you've got something wrong, under extracted and the espresso tastes like ****.

That tends to be my experience anyway lol.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
The big question is budget really, if you have a rough idea of the amount you want to spend then we can suggest some of the best items that fit within the price.

A 10 cup chemex would do you well http://www.amazon.com/Chemex-10-Cup-Classic-Series-Coffee/dp/B000NTMHRW Paper filters are easier because you just toss them in the bin or the compost with the grounds inside, no clogging the sink up with grounds like a plastic or metal filter basket.

You really need a grinder to make the best of your coffee tho like others have said.

A 10-cup chemex and a decent burr grinder will probably give the best value for making delightful coffee. The only 'downside' is that it is an all manual preparation method. This is something I really enjoy when I make my coffee, but others might find it unbearable in the wee hours of the morning...

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

OK..take this from a coffee freak...you're completely lost! All sense of perspective is gone!

I should know...i feel the same way when I grab the lever and pull down...

Good to meet you, you poor soul!:D

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
Then 20 seconds later you realise you've got something wrong, under extracted and the espresso tastes like ****.

That tends to be my experience anyway lol.

i_hug_that_feel.png

OK..take this from a coffee freak...you're completely lost! All sense of perspective is gone!

I should know...i feel the same way when I grab the lever and pull down...

Good to meet you, you poor soul!:D

If being lost feels this good, I don't want to be found. :D I see I've found my kin here on MR.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Since we are throwing in recommendations about how to improve your coffee experience, nothing beats roasting your own beans.

It should be named "Skrink's Coffee Emporium."

----------

Truth. You should join the Espresso Thread. ;)

"Shrink's Coffee Emporium" - now, that sounds very interesting.

Actually, here, I'll let you into a little known secret. Not only do I not roast my own beans, I don't even grind them……yes, yes, yes, I know that this makes me more of a dilettante and less of a devoted fanatic, but, well, life, circumstances, travel, location…..and so on.

In some future paradise, I can envisage a world where I may well grind my own beans; to be perfectly frank, given my demeanour in the mornings (savage and borderline homicidal until I have consumed at least two double espressos), I cannot ever envisage a world where I might consider roasting my beans prior to having my first morning espresso…….life is too short to confuse and conflate the process of making coffee with self flagellation….

Here's the link...:D

And I totally agree about home roasting...although it is a clear sign that one has fallen deeply down the coffee rabbit hole!

As stated above, I salute with veneration your devotion to duty, but find this step, alas, somewhat beyond me, for now (and possibly, for a long time to come…)

A 10-cup chemex and a decent burr grinder will probably give the best value for making delightful coffee. The only 'downside' is that it is an all manual preparation method. This is something I really enjoy when I make my coffee, but others might find it unbearable in the wee hours of the morning...

Manual is fine; I love the manual methods of the drip & ceramic coffee cone, or the French Press, or even the slow bliss of waiting for the Bialletti moka pot to let us know by that inimitable gurgling sound that it is now about to boil which means the espresso is ready to drink….

There is something every relaxing about the slow, thoughtful, hands-on, physically sensual series of acts which go into planning a (manually) prepared coffee….

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I think if we convince maflynn to grind his own beans and drink only the freshest coffee, I'd recommend this good, but inexpensive grinder which would be great for drip or press. It's the one I started my coffee journey with.

Baratza Encore Conical Burr Grinder

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-01 at 3.39.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-01 at 3.39.35 PM.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 244

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006

I guess so. I personally use a Vario grinder and a ceramic paper filter holder that sits over the mug. You can make a cup of coffee damn quick once you get the drill down.

Its basically the same steps as using a brewing machine, its just that you may have to wait for the kettle to boil if your doing 10 cups worth.

There was an interesting looking automatic Chemex brewer around recently, really overpriced unfortunately tho. Of course I've forgotten both the name and where I saw it... *sighs*

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I guess so. I personally use a Vario grinder and a ceramic paper filter holder that sits over the mug. You can make a cup of coffee damn quick once you get the drill down.

Its basically the same steps as using a brewing machine, its just that you may have to wait for the kettle to boil if your doing 10 cups worth.

There was an interesting looking automatic Chemex brewer around recently, really overpriced unfortunately tho. Of course I've forgotten both the name and where I saw it... *sighs*

Yep, my cups come quite fast. But some people want the fully automatic solution, so I'm just putting that concern out there. ;)

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Yep, my cups come quite fast. But some people want the fully automatic solution, so I'm just putting that concern out there. ;)

Yes, but you'd need a brewer with a built in grinder to achieve that automation. Which is an option of course if funds are available.

zen97

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
TX
Technivorm Moccamaster

Highly recommend the Technivorm Moccamaster.

Attachments

• img31o.jpg
    img31o.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 83

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Highly recommend the Technivorm Moccamaster.

I've never seen that coffee maker before...it is very interesting.:D

A question...is it more of a drip system, or more of a pour over?

EDIT: A little search and it appears that it is a drip coffee maker.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.