Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have to say those look really nice, now I'm not one for those airpods but the color does make them look sharp, not sharp willing to spend that much, but nice looking nonetheless.

Reactions: mandymoo and Icaras

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Poor Timmy was asleep at the wheel focusing on more watch band colors when he missed this opportunity.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Very, enough to see right through the thin air numbers you listed, see I can detect that stuff and not just blindly believe you

You don't have to believe me or the number.

If you think Apple's manufacturing rate supplies 3-5 AirPods to each store daily, and that makes for a sustainable business case for that product, well, that certainly speaks volumes about your business acumen.

Reactions: Tycho24

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Poor Timmy was asleep at the wheel focusing on more watch band colors when he missed this opportunity.

Asleep? You mean TC developing a mass produced consumer product with huge demand (and excellent margins) having a six week delivery since Christmas? Why fool around with colors at this stage when they're making enormous $$$ right now? There's always the future for that.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yay! I don't even need to buy the AirPod cause they are garbage in terms of audio quality. Color AirPods? They look nice but wait... $130??????? Oh no thank you.

This is deemed for luxury and super rich only, not for general public.

Thank you ColorWare, you have helped me to save $289 in my life.

Reactions: BoltmanLives

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Putting on my psychologist hat I would deduce that people who protest so wildly about overpriced coloured airpods are negatively criticising them to make themselves feel better about not being able to afford them. For some reason they feel bitter about not being able to stump up the cost. Someone who could, would not feel the need to critique as harshly. It's like they're jealous of a neighbours new car.

Companies place premiums on coloured differentiations all the time. Cars. Furniture. Clothes Etc. It's an extension of personality. If there's a market. And people are willing. Why not. If it makes them happy.

Where are you shopping? Unless its after market like these airpods most things don't have a markup based on colour. Yes new cars sometimes have an extra charge for certain coloured paints but it's usually the grade of paint not the colour itself. Example flat vs. metallic and its certainly not an 81% markup to the total cost of the car. I believe that's the main reason for the negativity. I think a lot of people in a mac forum can afford $300 but logically It doesn't make sense to pay an extra 81% for them to be a colour other than white. But you sound like a trained psychologist so you're probably right. ;)

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Apple should offer more options that just plain white.

They will... Just like other products (iPods for example) were eventually offered in colors.

At the moment there's no need to since they can't meet the enormous demand just making them in white, and have been quoting 6 weeks delivery since Christmas.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
300 bucks... for a colour? The sad thing is, there are some people dumb enough to pay that.
$289 - $159 = $130 for the colour...

But don't let that stop you from questioning other people's intelligence...

Edit:
No. It's $130 "for a color". The $289 price includes the AirPods. Ironic that you call other people dumb.
Oops. I wasn't the first to notice that if you study hard and do well at maths, you can afford the nice things...

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
$289 - $159 = $130 for the colour...

But don't let that stop you from questioning other people's intelligence...

And not just a few colors, but from a palette of 58 colors, including metallics. And each AirPod and the case can have a different color. Sounds reasonable to me for someone who wants to customize.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Where are you shopping? Unless its after market like these airpods most things don't have a markup based on colour. Yes new cars sometimes have an extra charge for certain coloured paints but it's usually the grade of paint not the colour itself. Example flat vs. metallic and its certainly not an 81% markup to the total cost of the car. I believe that's the main reason for the negativity. I think a lot of people in a mac forum can afford $300 but logically It doesn't make sense to pay an extra 81% for them to be a colour other than white. But you sound like a trained psychologist so you're probably right. ;)
Some cars have different premiums placed on colour options particularly if vehicles are customised to a clients unique specification. Purchasers tend to base choice on colour not grade of paint. Maybe you haven't been privy to high end car purchases. But you sound like a trained used car salesman so you're probably right ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.