Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
It is not illegal to break RSA encryption as an academic exercise. There are specific exceptions in the DMCA for academic research which cover this activity. People who expose weaknesses in encryption algorithms serve a valuable purpose in the security community and are not at all "douches."

You are right. People who expose vulnerabilities are really our friends in the short and long run - HOWEVER I think Mike's point was that he's arrogant enough to get into the stuff he shouldn't.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
And you know this how...you know?

Mike, his point is that it's easily defendable from a legal standpoint where he IS or IS NOT actually doing this. He'd have to do something really stupid for them to go after him because there are, generally, legal loopholes everywhere. :)

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
It is not illegal to break RSA encryption as an academic exercise. There are specific exceptions in the DMCA for academic research which cover this activity. People who expose weaknesses in encryption algorithms serve a valuable purpose in the security community and are not at all "douches."

Super noob to coding/hacking but why is RSA so hard to hack?
(I would also love to learn some coding and hacking just dont know where to start.. any ideas? Homebrew hacking rocks.)

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
Super noob to coding/hacking but why is RSA so hard to hack?
(I would also love to learn some coding and hacking just dont know where to start.. any ideas? Homebrew hacking rocks.)

Hey Benji - Im sure someone here can point you in the right direction, but this thread will probably go way off course and everyone will disagree w/ eachother and probably leave you pretty confused. Plus this could easily steal the thread :)

Also this is generally for iPhone hacking. I think you are free to discuss this (haven't read the forum rules in 3 years) but I can see it going in a bad direction and getting off course. I'm not real particular either way, so don't read me as being a hardass.

It might be more helpful to ask that question somewhere else as well - seeing as how most people here are just anxiously awaiting a hack and probably don't have a lot of hacking skills themselves - though there are several who certainly do. I myself have zero hacking skills other than an in-depth use of unix - which is hardly hacking!! Hey, I'm a photographer who happens to just pay attention to this stuff... not a hacker.

Goodluck!!
Brian

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Mike, his point is that it's easily defendable from a legal standpoint where he IS or IS NOT actually doing this. He'd have to do something really stupid for them to go after him because there are, generally, legal loopholes everywhere. :)

okey dokey. I don't see him as an academic, but anything is possible. :)

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
Hardly. Who asked you anyway. You got some inside line on what geohot does?

Geohot post what Geohot does - he's very keen on letting the world know who he is and what he does.

Read my other comment on the legalities - there are several documented cases of hackers claiming it was research and academic.

Btw, no one is attacking you. Thanks for your viewpoints :)

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
Hey Benji - Im sure someone here can point you in the right direction, but this thread will probably go way off course and everyone will disagree w/ eachother and probably leave you pretty confused. Plus this could easily steal the thread :)

Also this is generally for iPhone hacking. I think you are free to discuss this (haven't read the forum rules in 3 years) but I can see it going in a bad direction and getting off course. I'm not real particular either way, so don't read me as being a hardass.

It might be more helpful to ask that question somewhere else as well - seeing as how most people here are just anxiously awaiting a hack and probably don't have a lot of hacking skills themselves - though there are several who certainly do. I myself have zero hacking skills other than an in-depth use of unix - which is hardly hacking!! Hey, I'm a photographer who happens to just pay attention to this stuff... not a hacker.

Goodluck!!
Brian
On topic: Obviously waiting for 4.1, but we can all dream :D.
Kinda on topic: If the Dev-Team, Comex, Chronic-Dev, Geohot etc. can find loopholes and then find paths through Apples products, why dont they hire them or search for them and patch them? They seem to be able to continually find them.... :p

@Brian: Haha yeah you are probably right. Thanks for your time and long post:cool:. I'll research later this summer. College essays/applications are so easy to get distracted from >.<
Thanks for showing that there is still nice part to the iPhone/iPod-Touch forum. The main iPhone page is just filled with crap/flaming/hate.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I'll bow out of the geohot discussion. I can see if you don't worship him, you're in the minority here.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
I'll bow out of the geohot discussion. I can see if you don't worship him, you're in the minority here.

most people here, including myself, don't really like him. I find him arrogant and annoying. - it's just those that love him that are really vocal.

I was only commenting on the legal loopholes he and any other hacker has the ability to operate in.

Feel free to stay - again, no one is after you :)

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal

I appreciate him for the hacks. We are on a iPhone Hack subforum so there may be a bias.

I dont know much about him but the only reason I dont like him is because I dont understand half or the stuff he does :p, and he puts a picture of himself on all his stuff(kinda sad...)

Edit: Kinda forgot his whole one ring to rule them all "exploit".

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
I appreciate him for the hacks. We are on a iPhone Hack subforum so there may be a bias.

I dont know much about him but the only reason I dont like him is because I dont understand half or the stuff he does :p, and he puts a picture of himself on all his stuff(kinda sad...)

That's no him, that's Frodo ;)

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
On topic: Obviously waiting for 4.1, but we can all dream :D.
Kinda on topic: If the Dev-Team, Comex, Chronic-Dev, Geohot etc. can find loopholes and then find paths through Apples products, why dont they hire them or search for them and patch them? They seem to be able to continually find them.... :p

@Brian: Haha yeah you are probably right. Thanks for your time and long post:cool:. I'll research later this summer. College essays/applications are so easy to get distracted from >.<
Thanks for showing that there is still nice part to the iPhone/iPod-Touch forum. The main iPhone page is just filled with crap/flaming/hate.

no worries - I can certainly be an a$$ just like everyone else can here. Thanks for the kind words.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
And you know this how...you know?

Geohot has been posting about this project on twitter and on his blog for months. He developed his algorithm back in the fall for a class, and he's been trying to create a way to test it ever since. He's tried constructing a supercomputer from graphics processors, but he couldn't get the cost low enough. He's aiming for about $20k per teraflop.

okey dokey. I don't see him as an academic, but anything is possible. :)

And you base this on what besides your own prejudices?

Listen, I don't use Geohot tools. I realize that his tools are buggy and that he can't code. And I realize that he's an arrogant attention whore. I'm not a blind fan. But I don't think it's fair to dismiss his talent and accomplishments because of your personal feelings toward him.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Listen, I don't use Geohot tools. I realize that his tools are buggy and that he can't code. And I realize that he's an arrogant attention whore. I'm not a blind fan. But I don't think it's fair to dismiss his talent and accomplishments because of your personal feelings toward him.

I agree.
Same here.
I'd rather use Dev teams tools also if possible.
Is the kid arrogant and immature? Yes.
Is he very talented and good at what he does. No doubt about that.
Gotta recognize that even if you dont like who he is. Most of the JB scene and where we are today with iphone hacks can be attributed to him. And if he's for real that he has a hardware exploit on every iphone, iPad and iPod touch then hats off to him.
Gotta wait and see how it plays.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
I agree.
Same here.
I'd rather use Dev teams tools also if possible.
Is the kid arrogant and immature? Yes.
Is he very talented and good at what he does. No doubt about that.
Gotta recognize that even if you dont like who he is. Most of the JB scene and where we are today with iphone hacks can be attributed to him. And if he's for real that he has a hardware exploit on every iphone, iPad and iPod touch then hats off to him.
Gotta wait and see how it plays.

I just don't like that he repeatedly tries to force the dev teams hand on releases - that's just childish

All your points are well made.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
this thread just died.
af194430.jpg

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Remember Geohot was the very first person to ever hack an iPhone at the age of 17.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.