Coronavirus (Covid-19) informational thread

yaxomoxay

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
From the MacRumors administrators:
For some helpful links, please see the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information announcement.

For humorous posts, see the Coronavirus Humor thread.​

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am opening this thread with the idea to have an informational exchange on Covid-19 (Coronavirus) that DOES NOT involve politics (go to PRSI for that).

The idea is to have,
  1. Exchanges on the biological issues
  2. Exchanges on the response on a personal scale (how to protect your family and yourself etc)
  3. Exchanges on available information.
  4. Again, This is not to discuss “my government should’ve done this or that” or “he should’ve said this or that” or “it’s his or her fault”. I beg you, the idea is to provide information that can even save some lives.

‘What Are the Symptoms?’ ‘Is There a Cure?’ and Other Coronavirus Questions

Prevalance of Covid19 Symptoms Observed in China by the WHO
As of 20 February 2020 based on 55924 laboratory confirmed cases
  1. fever (87.9%)
  2. dry cough (67.7%)
  3. fatigue (38.1%)
  4. sputum production (33.4%)
  5. shortness of breath (18.6%)
  6. sore throat (13.9%)
  7. headache (13.6%)
  8. myalgia or arthralgia (14.8%)
  9. chills (11.4%)
  10. nausea or vomiting (5.0%)
  11. nasal congestion (4.8%)
  12. diarrhea (3.7%)
  13. hemoptysis (0.9%)
  14. conjunctival congestion (0.8%)
How is Coronavirus tested for?
Coronavirus testing looks for signs of a coronavirus infection in nasal secretions, blood, or other body fluids. Coronaviruses are types of viruses that infect the respiratory system.
Coronavirus Testing: MedlinePlus Lab Test Information
medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/coronavirus-testing/

Traveling Overseas? 20 U.S. Airports Are Screening for Coronavirus—Here’s What You Can Expect

World Health Organization (WHO) Daily Situation Report
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

Informational website with statistics on Coronavirus
https://outbreak.cc/

CDC information on Prevention and Treatment
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html

Johns Hopkins World Case Locatoon Map (added 4March)

Statistics for China infections as of Feb2020 (Added 4March, Link):
Check the 4th column:
38464FD8-55CF-4A6C-8A45-322AD7E135E7.png

IMPORTANT NOTICE
This is just a forum, not a scientific community. This thread is informational, but not everything that is published by users is necessarily backed by scientific knowledge or even reliable. We strongly encourage the reader to find the appropriate resources, and do their investigation on the matter.
We also STRONGLY recommend to call your doctor if you have any symptom or any concern about the virus.
Stay safe.
END IMPORTANT NOTICE

ADDENDUM recommended by @Plutonius - 3/3/2020
Wikipedia Page on Coronavirus/Covid-19

For those that can and want to read the PRSI Covid-19 related threads, the threads are here, here, here, and here.
END ADDENDUM

ADDENDUM by @yaxomoxay - 3/11/2020
As noted by MacRumors in THIS article, you can help fight Covid-19 with distributed computing.
See here: https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/10/covid19-update/

ADDENDUM by @yaxomoxay
Joe Rogan’s interview with Dr Osterholm on Coronavirus. This is one of the most informative videos on Covid-19.
Dr Osterholm is a world renowned expert in virology and the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research.

END ADDENDUM

2020-03-23: Font, color, and size cleanup, by @chown33
As a note to future additions, please don't use square brackets [ ] around titles, headings, annotations, etc. It confuses the formatting process, because it thinks it's found some formatting tags, then proceeds to mangle things.

Last edited by a moderator:

baypharm

Contributor
Nov 15, 2007
I am opening this thread with the idea to have an informational exchange on Covid-19 (Coronavirus) that DOES NOT involve politics (go to PRSI for that).

The idea is to have,
  2. Exchanges on the response on a personal scale (how to protect your family and yourself etc)
  4. Again, This is not to discuss “my government should’ve done this or that” or “he should’ve said this or that” or “it’s his or her fault”. I beg you, the idea is to provide information that can even save some lives.
- - Post merged: - -

World Health Organization (WHO) Daily Situation Report: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

Informational website with statistics on Coronavirus: https://outbreak.cc/
Are you a scientist, or physician, or other scientifically advanced professional? If not, then this thread will be filled with heresay and perhaps personal judgments of the wrong kind. Just my 2 cents.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon

The idea is to have,

World Health Organization (WHO) Daily Situation Report: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

Informational website with statistics on Coronavirus: https://outbreak.cc/
An excellent idea for a thread, and thank you for starting it.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
As this is an international forum, with members from all around this stupid world off ours, wouldn't it also be better to exchange information of what is the current situation in countries hit by this virus. Number of increasing and decreasing cases, movement of the virus, spreading to other countries, etc. Just to stay informed.....

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As this is an international forum, with members from all around this stupid world off ours, wouldn't it also be better to exchange information of what is the current situation in countries hit by this virus. Number of increasing and decreasing cases, movement of the virus, spreading to other countries, etc. Just to stay informed.....
Post 1 has a link along those lines. More like you suggested are appreciated. :)

4sallypat

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Has anyone tried or know of the Clorox Total 360 system ?

My workplace announced that they will be using this machine in each room to lower the incidence of sick days for flu, cold, etc..

Will this work on the COVID-19 virus ?

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Has anyone tried or know of the Clorox Total 360 system ?

My workplace announced that they will be using this machine in each room to lower the incidence of sick days for flu, cold, etc..

Will this work on the COVID-19 virus ?
Is that bleach they are spraying? Is there as issue with dried bleach and skin contact?

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
then point this out, as you did instead of complaining about the thread itself. It’s a forum.

great idea! The situation report published by WHO on the first post has international info. But yes, let’s publish more international material.
I don't mind for information being posted that might be untrue in a general Apple discussion, but with a dangerous virus, it is not good for people to post, what they think might help protect against this virus.
some people are not smart enough to see what real science backed information is, and what is just a though or opinion !

These threads could help spread the virus, because thinking about something someone said on a forum was sure it would make me immume to this virus.

I don't think you people realise how dangerous this is !

Reactions: baypharm

yaxomoxay

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I don't mind for information being posted that might be untrue, but with a dangerous virus, it is not good for people to post, what they think might help protect against this virus.
some people are not smart enough to see what real science backed information is, and what is just a though or opinion !

These threads could help spread the virus, because thinking about something someone said on a forum was sure it would make me immume to this virus.

let’s do this. I’ll add a disclaimer on the first post that some of the stuff is potentially not scientific and that the user is encouraged to do serious research on the topic.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't mind for information being posted that might be untrue, but with a dangerous virus, it is not good for people to post, what they think might help protect against this virus.

I think you are misjudging. And not trying to fight with you, but what are the known effective methods of fighting this bug, besides avoidance, washing hands, and maybe face masks? Quarantine, has not yet been suggested, so is there harm if someone tries to sit under a mister? Would that make them not want to wash their hands or wear a face mask in public? See what I’m getting at?

Reactions: retta283

yaxomoxay

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
You don't but there are too many people who will think this will help protect them, and that will evolve onto false information.
this is irrelevant from the need of a thread. Misinformation and misinterpretation are the sad parts of the internet. If you keep replying, he’ll keep replying on the same biblical tone.
it seems that you’re well versed in scientific stuff, share your sources and your knowledge. It will be way more effective than telling him not to post.

EB44DA95-AE61-4AB6-BF21-9746F41B9FD4.jpeg

yaxomoxay

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
On a slightly different note, I’d like to share The Emergency Mind Podcast.

It’s a new podcast that I found just yesterday; guests are mostly trained MD’s and first responders.
The last episode is about stoicism in emergency situations. Lots of interesting info about mindset during emergencies.

(I am not affiliated in any way with this podcast)

baypharm

Contributor
Nov 15, 2007
this is irrelevant from the need of a thread. Misinformation and misinterpretation are the sad parts of the internet. If you keep replying, he’ll keep replying on the same biblical tone.
it seems that you’re well versed in scientific stuff, share your sources and your knowledge. It will be way more effective than telling him not to post.

View attachment 896737
Your own ignorance of this subject is unbelievable but apparent. Write me two paragraphs on HCoV-229E and HKU1 without having to Google it. You are simply spreading misinformation by the boatloads.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Your own ignorance of this subject is unbelievable but apparent. Write me two paragraphs on HCoV-229E and HKU1 without having to Google it. You are simply spreading misinformation by the boatloads.
I hope that before insulting, you realized that I posted only information from the Center for Disease Control, and the World Health Organization, right? All of that with a disclaimer that the best thing is to talk to the doctor, right?

Also, if discussing a topic of worldwide concern removing political factors from it is grandstanding, I wonder what you’re doing on a forum where discussions on a variety of topic are the main thing. I don’t know, I have the feeling that someone else might be grandstanding, you know people like “tell me about X from a scientific point of view - because I can” when no one here has actually claimed to be a scientist or anything. Coronavirus is the talk of the week, or the month. We talk about it, trying to share useful info. Sorry that we don’t meet your ideal of who and what we can say.

Also, if you actually do have scientific knowledge, or useful information, please share it instead of complaining about other people talking. If you know something on such an important topic, instruct us, instead of insulting us.

Have a good day.

Meanwhile,

Document attached: Rational use of personal protective equipment for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

Attachments

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
Has anyone else seen the start of "panic buying" in their area? I went to Safeway today to do my usual weekly Saturday shopping, and I was surprised to see every checkout aisle open, massive lines, and tons of empty shelves, especially in dry goods. It's begun...

yaxomoxay

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Has anyone else seen the start of "panic buying" in their area? I went to Safeway today to do my usual weekly Saturday shopping, and I was surprised to see every checkout aisle open, massive lines, and tons of empty shelves, especially in dry goods. It's begun...
saw some empty shelves, mostly antibacterial soap and similar. No issues with food.
Panic is going to be the main issue.

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
My husband self contracts as security for Wal-Mart at night. He says he's seen people buy up just about everything.

San Antonio Texas here.

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Didn't read the document posted above, but I heard on TV news that masks are needed for health care workers and people who are infected. Wearing them "just to be safe" may put others in danger when you are not. Since there are fewer masks than people, it's best to utilize them when it makes sense clinically.

On another note, I am planning to travel to Seattle at the end of March. Airline tickets were purchased in December, I think before anything was in the news about the virus. Now, Washington's governor has declared a State of Emergency! I've heard no details about that, so I'll see what I can find out online from legitimate news sources. I'm thinking I should take an extra two weeks supply of medications with me in case of a quarantine being declared right after I arrive. That's probably an over-reaction, but maybe a good thing to ease my mind. I have two young grandchildren there, and of course will not go if I have any symptoms of anything.

Most people being infected with this are recovering. But some without prior respiratory issues are getting very sick and I think some of them have died. That's my impression, not based on detailed reports about individual cases. Being healthy is a plus, but not a guarantee of recovering, it seems.

jeyf

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2009
it is somewhat important to get some solid basic information. please keep this a community discussion.

what can we do today:
i am totally NOT an expert but if you have knowledge share...

I read if you increase washing your hands with any soap and water situation it might reduce the rate of infection 30% or better?
A face mask might protect others from your infection. Changing the mask often. Wear gloves
Commercial alcohol based hand disinfectants are not good at viral contamination
wash; soap & water and in a spray bottle a lite solution cold water & just a small amount of bleach...
Touch your body; face eyes, only after washing your hands
Get a flue vaccination even if its only 10% effective but they are like free or low cost
if you display flue like symptoms dont go out in public, dont go to work unless you disrespect your co workers.

this might be controversial, consider the risk:
there is a 2% chance its fatal. Given that tho a lot of citizens will die. Symptoms are like pneumonia so a quandary 4me is if you become sick and panic, immediately run to the hospital and get tested? The spread of coronavirus might be slower than what some news channels have you believe. Currently chances are extremely low you have the virus. Maybe the hospital could re-infect you with the real thing
so
you are maybe + but otherwise healthy, single and not in a at risk group. Would your best interests be served to just stay at home and see how the symptoms progress? Either way there is nothing they can do for you till it is a full lung infection.

On the negative side of "stay home dont tell" the coronavirus host may spread the disease before the host has heavy symptoms. This is a rumor question???

Reactions: Raid and yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
it is somewhat important to get some solid basic information. please keep this a community discussion.

what can we do today:
i am totally NOT an expert but if you have knowledge share...

I read if you increase washing your hands with any soap and water situation it might reduce the rate of infection 30% or better?
A face mask might protect others from your infection. Changing the mask often. Wear gloves
Commercial alcohol based hand disinfectants are not good at viral contamination
wash; soap & water and in a spray bottle a lite solution cold water & just a small amount of bleach...
Touch your body; face eyes, only after washing your hands
Get a flue vaccination even if its only 10% effective but they are like free or low cost
if you display flue like symptoms dont go out in public, dont go to work unless you disrespect your co workers.

this might be controversial, consider the risk:
there is a 2% chance its fatal. Given that tho a lot of citizens will die. Symptoms are like pneumonia so a quandary 4me is if you become sick and panic, immediately run to the hospital and get tested? The spread of coronavirus might be slower than what some news channels have you believe. Currently chances are extremely low you have the virus. Maybe the hospital could re-infect you with the real thing
so
you are maybe + but otherwise healthy, single and not in a at risk group. Would your best interests be served to just stay at home and see how the symptoms progress? Either way there is nothing they can do for you till it is a full lung infection.

On the negative side of "stay home dont tell" the coronavirus host may spread the disease before the host has heavy symptoms. This is a rumor question???
From what I read, it seems that mortality is at 2% (of the known cases) for now. However, it seems that the world is divided in two. In countries with crappy healthcare services (Iran, China etc.) the death rate seems to affect everyone almost regardless of age and health condition, while in many western countries it's mostly killing people with pre-existing condition and/or elderly individuals.
We'll see, but let's not panic.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
From what I read, it seems that mortality is at 2% (of the known cases) for now. However, it seems that the world is divided in two. In countries with crappy healthcare services (Iran, China etc.) the death rate seems to affect everyone almost regardless of age and health condition, while in many western countries it's mostly killing people with pre-existing condition and/or elderly individuals.
We'll see, but let's not panic.
This is a really good summation of the risks as we know them so far. Basically, the older you are and the more pre-existing conditions you have, the greater your risk.

Age seems to be the primary factor, followed by smoking habit.

In the United States, if you're a relatively healthy middle aged person, you're probably still in more danger of influenza.

Reactions: 4sallypat

jeyf

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2009
the main issues is the virus is here, in your face. Not going back into the box soon.

the main issue is the virus is here, in your face. Not going back into the box soon.