Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As is tradition, Apple executives Craig Federighi and Greg Joswiak joined Daring Fireball's John Gruber in an episode of The Talk Show to discuss several announcements that Apple made over this weeks WWDC, including iPadOS 15, macOS Monterey, and a large focus around privacy.

Federighi kicks off the conversation discussing the common architecture, now thanks to Apple silicon, across all of Apple's devices and platforms ranging from the Mac to the Apple Watch. Federighi notes how this unity allows developers to scale their apps to more devices and ultimately more users.

On Monday, Apple announced several privacy features, including iCloud+, which includes Private Relay and a way to crack down on "hidden pixels" in emails. On the privacy front, Joswiak reiterates that Apple believes privacy is a "fundamental human right" and that Apple has been building it into its products for years, "long before it was popular because it was the right thing to do." Joswiak, also known as Joz, says that privacy isn't an idea that Apple has "scotched taped on the side," but that privacy is "deeply woven" into Apple.

During the discussion, Federighi also takes a chance to explain several features announced for iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey that use "on-device intelligence." Federighi notes how Apple can use the powerful chips inside iPhones, iPads, and Macs to deliver customers personalized features without sacrificing privacy. Such features include personalization in Photos, Siri, and more.

Speaking about iPadOS 15, Federighi highlights the new and improved multitasking system. Unlike before, it provides more visuals for users, including a new three-dot menu that makes it easier to enter Split View with apps.

With iPadOS 15, Apple also enables developers to write, compile, and distribute apps on the iPad with Swift Playgrounds. Federighi says that Swift Playgrounds will be tailored for developers who want to build professional apps but also "hobbyists who want an environment to lightly try out ideas."

The full, almost 90-minute long conversation also goes into depth on the technical aspects of iCloud+ and Private Relay, macOS Monterey, Shortcuts on the Mac, and more.

Article Link: Craig Federighi and Greg Joswiak Discuss iPadOS 15, macOS Monterey, Privacy, Shortcuts on Mac, and More

Last edited:

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Gruber talking about photos wasted a lot of time. Get passed that part and it is much better.

Gruber has never done too well at asking questions but I think these remote "The Talk Show" events in 2020 and 2021 have made it worse because I think having the Apple Execs and fans right in front of him helps pressure him into moving at least a bit faster... behind a screen he rambles. It does get better 14-15 minutes into it.

John, buddy if you are reading this... having Craig and Jaws in front of you is sold gold... any minute not asking a question and listening to THEM TALK is a wasted minute.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Gruber has never done too well at asking questions but I think these remote "The Talk Show" events in 2020 and 2021 have made it worse because I think having the Apple Execs and fans right in front of him helps pressure him into moving at least a bit faster... behind a screen he rambles. It does get better 14-15 minutes into it.

John, buddy if you are reading this... having Craig and Jaws in front of you is sold gold... any minute not asking a question and listening to THEM TALK is a wasted minute.
I agree. John clearly looks nervous but, he gets a little a more relaxed as he goes further.

I like how Craig gets into the new privacy features and explains it so succinctly.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Without people jumping down my throat:
Why is John Gruber 'famous' in the tech world?

Did he sell a starup, and now has a 'hobby' of interviewing tech execs?

btw he's a terrible interviewer.
This interview strikes as overview driven for those who may not want to listen to code etc. He certainly hasn't asked any 'tough' question thus far (I am in the iPadOS section).

Reactions: BeABetterApple

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I can't listen to Gruber anymore - some of his opinions/thoughts are whack.

Just look back at some of his comments on the Away CEOs firing. Dude is so out of touch.

I agree. Was always a fan of his thoughts and reviews, but the past year or so I’ve had a tough time listening to his show and reading some of his posts. Like you said, feels a bit out of touch.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Without people jumping down my throat:
Why is John Gruber 'famous' in the tech world?

Did he sell a starup, and now has a 'hobby' of interviewing tech execs?

btw he's a terrible interviewer.

I think I’ve followed him for a decade or so now. Seemed like he rose in popularity from doing a blog and podcast early on and had a solid Mac fan base type of following. I think he has a bit of a programming background. But now he feels like a bit of a sloppy interviewer. Jumping around at times, missing simple points, etc.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
I think I’ve followed him for a decade or so now. Seemed like he rose in popularity from doing a blog and podcast early on and had a solid Mac fan base type of following. I think he has a bit of a programming background. But now he feels like a bit of a sloppy interviewer. Jumping around at times, missing simple points, etc.
I feel like he would spend 20 mins describing the fragrence of his own farts.
After farting in a cup then sniffing it of course.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
If you are hoping Craig talks about the new iPad and RAM options versus actual ability usage in the new OS as well as the debate of MacOS to iPad, you can watch something else.

John never asks any type of legitimate questions that we often see here. There were a few minutes of good insight and explanation from Craig about several features (mail privacy and Safari). I am glad I watched it but, it's not something I would recommend to others.

Greg's time there was essentially a waste and his boredom started to show.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
"we make such great products and we care so much about your privacy and we stand by our poor choices and justify them with silly excuses (no headphones Jack and no way to support lossless HiFi audio even in our most expensive headphones with our propietary port, no calculator in iPad, No way to edit a phone number typed in iPhone, poor text editing way, poor file manager in iPad, no screen touch Id, etc). The new iPad OS will kill the performance of normal Ipads, we want things that work well, not a hybrid between a PC and an iPad. Leave the iPad alone!

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.PT and 4487549
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.