Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I am wondering why i woud choose this over a Mac Mini with a monitor of whatever size i choose?
Check out the Mac Mini forum - I bet 1/2 of the posts are about displays not waking, or not displaying a picture at all. I don' t know how monitor compatibility is such an issue when Linux, Windows can do it!

And I'd love a 27" monitor, at 5K like the imac so I could run at a legible 2560x1440 and not have performance issues, clarity issues. I'm a huge mac mini fan and currently own one, and have owned them in the past, but I admit being tempted by the iMac. I know the integrated display will be compatible.

Robospungo

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2020
Personally I’d love to see a 32-34” class display. If such thing as a retina style ultra wide were to be put on one, that would be amazing. Though I’m sure it would have a price tag to match.

Upgraded from my Late 2013 MacBook Pro to a 2020 M1 mini plus 34” 3440x1440 Ultrawide for a combined total of a little under $900. I’m positive there’s not going to be a 34” iMac for that price. But if it could slide in where the 27” model fits with the slimmer bezels. I could see it. 32” with ultrawide as wishful thinking.
Is text blurry on your display, considering the resolution?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I agree about the ports. When I had my 27" iMac, I never did like always having to reach around the back to connect any peripheral.
For permanently connected ones (printer, hard drives) it’s fine, but I ended up with a stand for mine that had a SD card slot as I do a lot of photography... not saying I want legacy ports back though...

Robospungo

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2020
My personal preference would be an M1 (or M1X) in the current 21.5” iMac.

I’m not a fan at all of big screens.

Obioban

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
Just take my money already. My 2011 27" iMac is really showing it's age... been holding out for the Apple silicon version for 3 years now :p

32" 6k would suit me perfectly. I'm assuming pricing would remain similar to the current 27", as that's how these things go (e.g. when the MacBook Pro went from 15" to 16", prices didn't change.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
I am wondering why i woud choose this over a Mac Mini with a monitor of whatever size i choose?

If you've had zero problems with the Mac Mini you're one of the few ones and won't need this.
But anyway, for people who actually don't want to have everything separated this works.

Reactions: Gudi and DanTSX

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Screen size is one of those funny things because it hits a point at which the larger size becomes a hindrance rather than a benefit.

There's a reason that, at least for "standard ratio" monitors almost nothing is bigger than 27" and nothing is bigger than 32". Even at 32", if you're sitting at a regular distance the height is getting kind of awkward. If it isn't ultra wide and the option were between a 27" iMac and a 32", even at the same price I'm not at all sure I'd take the 32".

If it is ultra wide then it's a different ballgame. I use a 34" UW for my work Mini and would at least seriously consider something that size over the 27" iMac I have at home.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
For me that could be an interesting possibility to build an X-Plane flight simulator around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.