Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
I bought my last iMac in 2015. From here on out it's the mini with 39" ultra wide display of my choice at 144hz/165hz. But a 32" iMac would be nice with 10GBe and 120hz display. The next mini is supposed to have 10GBe also, and since the M1 successors graphics should be really good, I don't see a draw other than someone who really wants the all-in-one thing.

macinfojunkie

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
I wonder if they might be going ultra-wide for the high end model? I think the height of anything lager than 27 makes it hard work on the neck for many. I certainly rather width over extra height having used an iMac Pro with external 27” LG 5K. The extra height of a 32” would be hard work I think.

• Disagree
Reactions: ignatius345

funman895

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I'm guessing it'll be the same size/resolution as the Pro Display XDR, but with lower performance/color accuracy specs so they can make use of manufactured panels that are slightly out-of-specification for the XDR. Business strategy with XDR was probably to make enough to recoup development costs, and then re-use/cost-optimize as many parts/tooling for a consumer version once they're confident enough in the design to ramp up product volume and to hit an attractive price point.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I am wondering why i woud choose this over a Mac Mini with a monitor of whatever size i choose?
Leaving aside the cleanliness and space/visual advantage of an all-in-one, that will come down to what the specs other than the screen are, and whether Apple takes advantage of the extra space/cooling capability to offer things in the iMac that you can't get in a Mini. (Or, alternately, release the geek-desired box between a Mini and a Mac Pro.)

In the case of a pre-M1 iMac, I bought one over a Mini because I couldn't get a 10-core i9 or Radeon 5700 in a Mini, and upgrading to 64GB of RAM would have involved either dismantling it or paying WAY more than from a 3rd party. Plus 5K screens of similar quality are quite spendy, so the iMac was a no-brainer.

Last edited:

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Currently debating on whether I should continue with an iPad Pro / MBP / Monitor setup or switch to iPad Pro / iMac. This is going to make the latter setup extremely enticing..

Reactions: boston04and07

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I thought the general consensus is that they can fit a "bezel-less" 32 inch panel in the same footprint of the 27 inch one, and a 24 inch panel in the footprint of the 21.5 inch version? These are the sizes I'm expecting to see anyways.
I just took a tape measure to my 27" iMac - if the bezels are completely eliminated then the same width x height results in 30.5" corner-to-corner. Thinking about it that way, a 31.5" or 32" display sounds reasonable since it would be only slightly larger than the current 27" iMac even with minimal bezel width taken into account. An inch wider and taller perhaps?
I'm betting it'll be a 32" display because that seems to be the standard now.
agree
The iMac has really been ignored for a while. Kinda a shame cause Face ID is something that would thrive on a desktop.
Face ID would be terrific. And better camera.

Similarly, a new 24" iMac would probably be very close in size to the current 21.5", taking the likely much smaller bezel size into account.

Reactions: EntropyQ3

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Offer them all - and lots of them - even some legacy USB-A please -- make them easier to access also.
Desktops and Dongles should never become a thing (barring weird edge cases)

That's one thing I like about our 2017 iMac - it offers USB-C ports AND also USB-A ports (and a SDXC slot and an Ethernet jack and *gasp!* a headphone jack).

On the other hand, continuing to locate the ports on the back has always been form over function. I'm sure we're not the only ones who immediately bought a USB hub to solve a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

dpearman2007

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Personally I’d love to see a 32-34” class display. If such thing as a retina style ultra wide were to be put on one, that would be amazing. Though I’m sure it would have a price tag to match.

Upgraded from my Late 2013 MacBook Pro to a 2020 M1 mini plus 34” 3440x1440 Ultrawide for a combined total of a little under $900. I’m positive there’s not going to be a 34” iMac for that price. But if it could slide in where the 27” model fits with the slimmer bezels. I could see it. 32” with ultrawide as wishful thinking.
In that $900 are you factoring in selling your old MBP... otherwise I’m incredibly interested in how much that ultra wide is.

UrbanJoe1

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2020
32237D71-9B61-423B-A51C-5493FBF3B27F.png

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
I really hope they can figure out how to bring Target Display Mode back.
Even if it only allowed Apple devices...just so you could occasionally plug in a Macbook or Mac Mini to the, no doubt, gorgeous display.

iMacs sort of went out of consideration for me when TDM went away.
Maybe since the iPad can do sidecar, and they seem to iPadifying macOS recently, they could do some sort of virtualization where it acts the same way? Or maybe it would just introduce another full screen/desktop that you could swipe over into? Interesting..

especially since they now share the same base ARM architecture!

Last edited:
Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Actually, it is the iPhone 15 that will have the 32" screen, along with 10G. The new iMac will have a 60" screen and there is a portable model planned with the same size screen that folds into quarters. It will include a helium canister to make it lighter to carry, and will run on OS Sombrero

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
If you've had zero problems with the Mac Mini you're one of the few ones and won't need this.
But anyway, for people who actually don't want to have everything separated this works.
I have zero problems, but then I’m using an intel mini with three displays.

I assume the problems are with the M1 minis? If so, who says the iMacs won’t also have issues?

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
Making the case much bigger than the current 27, don’t know but I guess 32 6k will be nice.
But PLEASE, at least some ports in the front or side
You will get
- TWO USB-C connectors at the back one to the left, one to the right.
- No Power Switch, but a newly designed magnetic cover that puts the Mac into sleep mode after 30 seconds. Removing the cover wakes it.
- The Power Cable is fixed and not user replacable.

... ok 3 April already...

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
None of the M1-based Mac’s make any appreciable fan noise at all; two out of three make no fan noise at all!
For something with potentially a 32" 6k display with mini LED and local dimming zones any fans could be for that as much as for an M1X design with additional CPU and GPU cores.

The only thing I would add is that a 6k iMac would surely have to be a 'Pro' model and priced accordingly.

A 24" 4.6K iMac would be a general purpose one for the rest of us.

Reactions: Scarboose

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
I thought the general consensus is that they can fit a "bezel-less" 32 inch panel in the same footprint of the 27 inch one, and a 24 inch panel in the footprint of the 21.5 inch version? These are the sizes I'm expecting to see anyways.
That would be my hope and expectation, though I am still not convinced having an all in one machine makes sense. I still would like to see a range of Apple monitor options to pair with a small footprint CPU. The Apple silicon designs are too new to integrate with a monitor that will certainly outlive the current generation of computing technology. The current, Apple Silicon,CPU technology is a true paradigm shift that, I believe, would benefit from a more federated approach, at least at the monitor integration level and especially with video processing acceleration. I don’t want to be forced to throw out an otherwise good monitor when updating my CPU or the GPU that is driving my monitor. I’d also like to have matching monitors for a dual monitor setup.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Personally I’d love to see a 32-34” class display. If such thing as a retina style ultra wide were to be put on one, that would be amazing. Though I’m sure it would have a price tag to match.

Upgraded from my Late 2013 MacBook Pro to a 2020 M1 mini plus 34” 3440x1440 Ultrawide for a combined total of a little under $900. I’m positive there’s not going to be a 34” iMac for that price. But if it could slide in where the 27” model fits with the slimmer bezels. I could see it. 32” with ultrawide as wishful thinking.
How do you find the M1 Mini? I have a late 2013 MBP and thinking of moving to the M1. Wondering if the mini is good?

iBungie

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
With several people hoping for ports at the side or the front of a new design of iMac has there ever been an iMac with ports at the front or side? I've been using various cinema displays for the past 20 years and ports are at the back - though on the Power Mac & older Mac Pros they were front and back - now on top and rear (but often positioned on the floor so a bit out of reach) Who can remember USB ports on the keyboard :) The original iMac I recall had audio ports at the front.

With little or no side to place anything I think it unlikely we'll see anything like useful ports within reach at the front. But let's wait and see.

Last edited:

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
My biggest complaint about the iMac design is how truly inaccessible the myriad of ports are. Every time I go to change a plug or adapter or dongle, I have to move the monitor around, "swing it up, swing it down" (if anyone here remembers Polaroid's Swinger camera back in the mid-60s, you'll recognize that theme), and then figure out "which direction the Thunderbolt or USB cable needs (Apple's beige-on-white miniscule symbols don't really help).

Why can't Apple design an iMac with the ports on the sides at least? I know it would destroy the pure, raw aesthetic appearance that Jony Ives and Steve Jobs spent endlessly years fretting over, but, come on, let's get some Real Users in there to point out some obvious flaws.

And can we finally get some height adjustment with all of Apple's monitors? My Dell monitors are easy to adjust; what is Apple's stigma towards a flexible, adjustable stand?

In fact, the "swivel" of the iMac is rather too loose for its bulky, flat size. Have you ever watched someone carry an iMac into an Apple store for a repair? It's quite the balancing act!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.