Custom Text message alert sound (without jailbreaking)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thelumpya2, Mar 10, 2009.

1. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

Is this possible?

I've exhausted all the options on my phone and I want something new.

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

3. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

4. thelumpya2 thread starter macrumors regular

thelumpya2

Its not worth it to me.. I'm really not THAT into customizing it.. just want better text alert sounds.

5. koollectablz macrumors 6502

Totally agree, I've gone back to a stock look/setup and the only thing I've jailbroken for is to change the text alert sound.

6. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

Yeah I've never seen a theme that looks better than the stock look either.

I do wish Apple had added the ability for custom SMS tones though.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I totally agree! I'm the same way. I jailbroke and gave myself a custom sound, but I shouldn't have to jailbreak to do that. Hey! Apple could make it so that you can choose any ringtone for an SMS tone and I don't think it would be hard for them to implement.

8. The Admiral macrumors member

The Admiral

i guess i'm a little unclear on what costs are incurred by jailbreaking. it strikes me as 100% benefit and no cost.

9. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

any MGS fans out there who agree that a Codec ring for the text alert would be perfect??

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I used to use the Metal Gear Solid alert sound (when the enemy spots you). It's hilarious. It caught my by surprise every time. When I heard it, it made me wanna go run and hide.

11. joshthehappy macrumors newbie

Yeah i've been using the power up sound from Legend of Zelda for like four years for text, so this is my only complaint since i've switched to this device last week.

12. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

jailbreaking supports terrorism. Don't do it.

13. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Naw seriously though, I have the blackberry storm click (for the typing sound), the aim text message sound (I don't know but I like it).

Yup there's no way to change the text message sound. Why? I have no clue. I supposed apple will spin it in iphone os 5 biggest feature: "now with custom ring tone".

14. Acronym macrumors 68000

would not work, as with jailbreaking the sms tone plays as long as the sound is.

5 second sound will play full 5 seconds

30 second sound will play for 30 seconds.

15. Sexy101!! macrumors newbie

The downfall to jailbreaking something is it wrecks ur warrinty that's all!! Good luck

16. Acronym macrumors 68000

mine is jailbroken but i have some hardware issues wirh mine i am beong sent a replacement via Rogers.

the only drawback is if there is physical or water damage then i will be charged for the iphone.

17. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

So iOS4 didn't fix this?

I can't think of a good reason not to include an option for this.

18. ncmonserud macrumors newbie

Customer support

I talked to customer support about this because I’m hard of hearing from working with power tools all day so I pretty much can’t hear any of their current tones and they said if enough people complained at their feedback sight http://www.apple.com/feedback they would update the software. I don’t know how true this is just because it’s just the customer support guy but it’s worth a try

19. prestomusic macrumors regular

20. Surrix macrumors regular

21. prestomusic macrumors regular

Super. Believe it when we see it. I guess in the meantime can't hurt to keep the petition going.

Btw where did you hear that?

22. OnTheZone macrumors member

I am registered as a developer and you get new sms ringtones but i dont think you get custom ones

23. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

Hey Randy, you don't have to do anything with jailbreaking if you don't want to; you can just change the alerts. I've gotten away from themeing and all that kind of jailbreaking and pretty much only use it for infinifolders and sbsettings now.

24. prestomusic macrumors regular

yep I heard there were new Apple standard SMS sounds in the 4.2 beta. But haven't heard about any ability to load custom sounds as a new feature.

25. Tanorik macrumors newbie

Besides being able to set a custom text tone, would it be that much harder to make it so you would be able to set separate tones for each person?