Customers not happy with iOS6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by AppleMooseMan, Sep 20, 2012.

1. AppleMooseMan macrumors regular

Well it doesn't come as a surprise, but there is an overwhelming amount of dislike for iOS6, ranging from disappointment in the new maps, to the deleted YouTube app, to the slow App Store, and other issues.

As for me, I tried the GM last week and was very disappointed, so downgraded back to iOS5 and am more than happy. For me, I just need reliable maps, as I assume others do too.

I know this is said a lot and most of the times I think it's idiotic, I really believe if Steve were still in charge HE WOULD NOT have allowed Maps in its current state to market, Maps one day can be a superb product but at the moment it's inferior to the previous maps on the phone. YOU SHOULD never provide an inferior product to customers, they're going to hate it.

And before all of you insult and name call, I'm a huge Apple fan, who has rarely been critical in the past, in fact I loathe irrational hate of their products, but in my opinion my criticsm is totally warranted.

I'd appreciate your thoughts! :)

2. Doctorsti macrumors regular

I completely agree. I was super excited for new turn by turn mapping software, iOS6 and the iPhone 5 but after playing with iOS6 for only just one night I'm extremely disappointed.
    Besides the iPhone5 that I don't have yet Apple took a big step backward in a lot of areas on the new OS and no super hardware is going to make that any better so while yesterday I couldn't wait for Friday to come I'm pretty much neutral on it now which is sad because I was so excited I jumped right in with iOS6 and I5... BIG MISTAKE. I should have done the "wait for the second iteration to work the bugs out" philosophy. I would have been happier to have my 4s with 5.1.1 back and simply wait for new hardware until this software was even worthy of competing with 5.1.1 let alone being better then it.

Very sad Apple has let me down.

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

This happens with every software release. People always balk at the unfamiliar.

Personally, I'm quite pleased with it.

4. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

It's not the unfamiliarity that is the issue, it is the degradation of usability, stability, reliability, and performance in some of the core iOS features.

5. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

And you also happen to be the guy that said iOS 6 App Store is working perfectly

/facepalm

6. AppleMooseMan thread starter macrumors regular

I absolutely agree, in fact in previous versions of the OS I would have agreed with that poster, but not this time, this is a step backwards.

7. Deako macrumors 6502

I think everything else EXCEPT the mapping solution is a step forward.....

But Apple Maps is very very poor. I hope they throw a huge pile of cash at it fast...........

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

The maps is a bit of a let down, but realistically its only missing streetview which I never used anyway....

apart from that overall it seems better, it certainly runs better, ios 5 always crashed and stalled for me.

9. appswipe macrumors 6502

Im pretty neutral on iOS6. Nothing really useful gained but nothing really lost either. So overall my disappointment is based on my inability to come to grips that Apple is no longer an industry leader.

10. greytmom, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I'm not a guy. And for me, it is.

Ah, I see what post you are talking about. I didn't test the "more reviews" button last night. So, no, it isn't working. It will though. Patience.

I also did not say it is working perfectly. I said it was working great, or fine, or something along those lines. I'm not the type of person who goes off the deep end if there are glitches, so from my perspective, it's working fine. Bugs will be ironed out.

----------

They say that every year as well.

11. DavonC macrumors newbie

Features are cool. I personally just think some of the interface has gotten ugly looking. It just looks ugly. No big deal though.

12. wlasikiewicz, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012

wlasikiewicz macrumors newbie

Have you seen the Jimmy Kimmel Live youTube video? if not you have to see it.

13. AceCoolie macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm mad at Apple about this. Since I upgraded yesterday, my wifi has been broken which caused my phone to suck up 150 megs of data which put me over my limit (I only have a 200 meg limit because I use wifi for everything).

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple last night and they can't figure out the problem. I spent another hour on the phone with AT&T convincing them to give me a credit for the data overage.

So, now, with the wonderful iOS 6, my smart phone is useless since I have no wifi and I have to disable cell data to prevent overage. GRRRR!

14. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Come on OP, you know that on the forums it's usually complainers that get all the attention after a release. It'll settle down soon, and I can imagine that the majority of consumers won't care much. I think iOS 6 is a great stepping stone towards a bigger change.

15. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

maps.google.com from the iphone and then add that page as an icon to the home screen. For me it is even quicker than the previous map app.

So... was your WiFi icon at the top or not at the top of your screen?
    Did you find out what was using your cellular data?

16. penguy macrumors 6502

for the most part I do really like iOS6. I have iPhone 4 and it was really laggy (compared to my son's 4) and has improved significantly. The new features are good, and while I have found several errors with mapping certain businesses, it has been more accurate than not.

One thing I haven't heard is any acknowledgment about how much faster maps is at rendering...whether it be aerial or map view...there is no comparison to the google version...it's virtually instantaneous, even on my 4.

17. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

Agree, the OS is great, been using the GM since release and haven't found any problems OTHER THAN maps.

18. AppleMooseMan thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, I believe one day maps on iOS will be superior to Google, but currently it's dramatically inferior, it was a mistake on Apple's part, releasing something inferior to what was already there.

19. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

You know there is a Youtube app right?

Also I agree with the app store being slower than previous.

20. Irishman, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

Irishman macrumors 68030

So far, just a little better than neutral. The best interface improvement I love is the one-tap to switch full-screen browsing. On a small-screen devicee, it was much-needed feature.

Maps? Ambivalent because I don't rely upon it for nav like many do.

Siri? Can't even figure out how to find it! Most confusing part so far. Expected Siri on my iPod Touch, and can't do it.

More later as I play.

As far as my third party apps go, it's an annoyingly mixed bag.

Pandora works, as do Netflix, DirecTV, PBS, Cut the Rope, Plants vs Zombies, Angry Birds, Nanosaur 2, Spider, Osmos, Amazing Breaker, Cro Mag Rally, Draw Something, Temple Run, Enigmo 2, Zombie Infection, Dead Space, iBomber Defense, Dark Meadow, Dungeon Hunter III, Galaxy on Fire, Battleheart, Brothers in Arms 2, Duke Nukem 3D, the Soup, Yelp, Appshopper, Amazon Price Check, CNN, Bloomberg, NBC News, Engadget, NASA, Mercury Browser, Skype, iControlAV2, Youtube, Speedtest, Flashlight, ProHDR, Photoshop Express, Snapseed, and Instagram.

Crackle crashes out, as does No Zombies Allowed, HBO Go, Infinity Blade, Rage HD, and Dead Trigger.

21. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Nobody seems to be considering this: What if Apple didn't have a choice? What if Google had some ridiculous terms in order to let Apple renew their contract?
    It's a valid possibility considering how greedy Google has been getting lately.

22. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I'm fine with iOS 6. Bit of an adjustment to where some of the settings for things were moved or added. But over all my experience has been positive. Loving the DnD feature.

Guess my only disappointment is that iTunes Match still doesn't steam from iOS devices. But meh. I've been happy with it since last December despite the lack of this feature.

23. meder87 macrumors regular

Based on a lot of people's opinions on iOS 6, I have decided to stick with iOS 5 for now. I'm also happy that my upgrade always lands on the iPhone S iteration. I actually really like Google Maps and it made searching for businesses and seeing where they are very easy. I actually use Map Quest for turn by turn navigation. Yahoo FTW! Its free and it does really good job. It always gets me where I need to be with no problems. But Google was my yellow pages for finding places and then using street view to see the location and what it looked like.

24. AppleMooseMan thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I do! But none for the iPad.

25. Huge125 macrumors member

Huge125

My thoughts exactly. App store- ugly. Clocks on iPad- not ugly, but don't like the lack of options for clock faces. iTunes- ugly. Even the Settings have gotten cluttered due to all the added features.

Not sure it is just the normal shock of a new iOS, or if it is truly bad this time. The simplicity of interface that drew me in is definitely gone. If I don't get use to it, I might go back to 5.1, but I probably just need more time with it.