Date Bug in iOS 11.1.2 Causing Crash Loop on iPhones as December 2 Hits [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

There were people asking about the phone app bug on the beta 5 thread.

Friday betas were rare over the past few years. Recently it's been different.

2. canadianreader macrumors 6502

canadianreader

They live in the future and share our present

3. Vorkeyjones macrumors member

Vorkeyjones

What if you were in the middle of the Sahara desert and didn't know about the bug and had no way of updating?

4. justiny Contributor

justiny

Yes, as an iOS beta tester, I was a frequent collaborator in that thread. I was also a victim of the phone app bug in beta 4 that I confirmed was corrected in beta 5. Perhaps you should read it.

Precisely. There is a big gap in the time-space continuum between a “few years” and “recently”.

5. Mwongozi macrumors member

Mwongozi

The calc bug is fixed in 11.2, out now.

6. netwalker macrumors regular

netwalker

Don't we customers want it faster and cheaper all the time? And if it isn't the customer asking for it, then it is the ruthless competition.
    Personally I don't need a new OS X and iOS version and a new iPhone every year. I'd rather have slower release cycles and higher quality.
    My only complaint towards Apple would be that they have enough money on the bank to improve quality. But of course share holders would complain if profit margin goes down.

7. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

More that people choose to harp on the few questions that the person didn't get right, while completely ignoring the majority that he did get right.

But this is in the internet, so I suppose it is to be expected that any misstep gets blown completely out of proportion.

8. RuffyYoshi macrumors regular

RuffyYoshi

I seriously admire how they have the nerve to claim iOS is the most advanced mobile OS and ask for such high prices for their devices after all this. This is not why I became an Apple user, if I wanted this I'd stay on Windows crap.

9. BracknellPoolie macrumors newbie

Finally my phone has stopped respringing!

Went to bed at 00:15 and started whilst trying to go to sleep - most annoying. Ended up turning it off.
    Luckily I found this thread otherwise I was off to the local Apple store later today (yes I did find an appointment). Suspect they are going to be busy doing 11.2 updates all weekend.

Oh dear Apple, not one of your finest days. Thank you to NZ and Aus for being the guinea pigs on this one. Not back to watching the Cricket!

10. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

Couldn't change the time, it was blacked out. Disabled notifications to 'never' and that allowed me to update.

Wake up Apple ffs.

11. netwalker macrumors regular

netwalker

We even paid money for our Mac OS updates in those days.

OS X only crashes on me when I use Final Cut Pro X. Otherwise the most reliable system I've worked with.

12. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

Yeah... I’ve gone back to changing the date. At least the phone’s now stable until I get time to do 11.2

13. gevezex macrumors newbie

Crashing and getting very hot was my problem this morning. Changed the date back to 23 november, then I could update IOS. I hope it didn't hurt my hardware as it was getting extremely overheated.
    Now the problem looks solved (crossing fingers).

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like they didn't even get to go to sleep to get the fix out.

15. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Apple, your QA seriously sucks lately. Thought it's just me that my iPhone has been restarting today opening Clock app. Should have read MacRumors prior to resetting all settings on the iPhone. At least it will keep me busy to put everything the way it was (except WiFi passwords of course). More and more bugs lately, what a shame.

16. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Be happy you are an iOS user.

If this happened on Android, you'd be lucky to see a patch inside 6 months - if at all.

Apple pushed out a fix within a few hours. They deserve praise.

17. Bacillus macrumors 68000

Bacillus

OMG I pray the AppleCar, HomePod (if ever) will run Windows 95

18. Wanted797 macrumors 6502

Wanted797

It’s 9:30PM on the 2nd of December here in Aus and there is an update available to download to fix the issue. That simply would not happen for android.

19. Happytodd macrumors regular

I work at a telco store here in Australia and we were quickly inundated with customers coming into our store complaining about this respring issue, I was initially scratching my head wondering what the cause could be. We quickly figured out changing the date back a week or so actually prevented the respring action from continuing. I then went onto this forum and had noticed only a couple reports at the time of other people experiencing the same issue.

I am glad it has been patched, I knew Apple would resolve it by the end of the day!

20. justiny Contributor

justiny

It’s 2:30AM in Cupertino, CA, USA. Apple knows how to handle these things. Google could take some notes.

21. Bacillus, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 68000

Bacillus

Yes, only a few billion devices on a few continents were affected/exposed ;)
    Just another day at the Cupertino office
    --- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2017 ---
    Can't remember any OS that got factory updated into a bootloop - since the year 0

22. justiny Contributor

justiny

The world population is, as of October, 2017, 7.6 billion people.

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

So half the world population (including toddlers and infants) own iPhones and are experiencing this issue?

Stop exaggerating, please.

23. NaOH macrumors newbie

If anything, this and the earlier macOS 10.13.1 issues have exposed an issue with Apple’s software strategy:

There is no easy way to revert back to an un-affected earlier version of either OS.

The current strategy is fine when things go well. When things go wrong, it can leave users at the mercy of Apple’s ability to produce a stable fix quickly enough.

What i’m saying is that these are problems of Apple’s own making.

24. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

While I agree that some here tend to engage in melodrama, it serves a purpose... to blow off steam, an emotional release so that when the bug is fixed they can accept it and move on...

If past experience is any indication of future performance then you are wrong. People WILL forget, or at least remember but not to the point of influencing their purchasing decision.

WWDC will roll around next year and the people who "won't forget" will salivate in anticipation of the next big thing from Apple. And so it goes.

25. Bacillus, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 68000

Bacillus

Whether toddler or infant, you're googling it wrong.
    It's between 1B and 2B now => so I guess I have the right to say that's a few

MR: By comparison, Apple announced it had surpassed 1 billion active iOS devices in January 2016, but it hasn't provided an updated count since then.
    Apple sells tens of millions of iOS devices each quarter, so it's reasonable to assume the total is above 1 billion, but likely well below 2 billion.
    1-2016 1 Billion Apple Devices Are in Active Use Around the World - Yahoo
    1-2016 1 billion Apple devices are in active use around the world - The Verge1
    Stop glossing over, please