Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I had the ATT iPhone 7 plus with the Intel chip for a week before returning it
for the Verizon Qualcomm version. This is on the ATT network.Both full price unlocked.
My observations:

Verizon (Qualcomm) version definitely has better battery life (consistently 5-10%)

Verizon (Qualcomm) version has better reception without a doubt, where I was dropping calls with the Intel the Qualcomm never disconnected. At home in my office I get 3 bars on the Qualcomm vs 2 on the Intel

The above is from 1 week use with each phone. Let's also remember the resale value and overseas travel options
are much better with the Verizon model.

CC

dsjr2006

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Metro Detroit
for the Verizon Qualcomm version. This is on the ATT network.Both full price unlocked.
My observations:

Verizon (Qualcomm) version definitely has better battery life (consistently 5-10%)

Verizon (Qualcomm) version has better reception without a doubt, where I was dropping calls with the Intel the Qualcomm never disconnected. At home in my office I get 3 bars on the Qualcomm vs 2 on the Intel

The above is from 1 week use with each phone. Let's also remember the resale value and overseas travel options

CC
Very scientific

eclipxe

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
My observations:

CC

My results are the opposite. I'm seeing 1-2hr additional battery life on Intel (10/11hr vs 8/9 hr). Reception and speed are about the same in my case.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
My results are the opposite. I'm seeing 1-2hr additional battery life on Intel (10/11hr vs 8/9 hr). Reception and speed are about the same in my case.

I am sure it has a lot to do with the areas in which you travel. One thing is is undeniable is the fact the the
Qualcomm Verizon version unlocked is the World version and will get better resale value when you
are ready to sell.

CC

eclipxe

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
I am sure it has a lot to do with the areas in which you travel. One thing is is undeniable is the fact the the
Qualcomm Verizon version unlocked is the World version and will get better resale value when you
are ready to sell.

CC

I don't disagree with you here - the Verizon version will have better resale value (larger market). But from a day to day use standpoint, Intel seems to be better for me. I'm going to gather one more day of data and report back. I really want to keep/use the Verizon one because of the resale value, but if day to day performance doesn't compare it won't work for me.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I don't disagree with you here - the Verizon version will have better resale value (larger market). But from a day to day use standpoint, Intel seems to be better for me. I'm going to gather one more day of data and report back. I really want to keep/use the Verizon one because of the resale value, but if day to day performance doesn't compare it won't work for me.

Really weird that I see the exact opposite of what you are seeing. Where are you using the phone?
I am generally in the NE USA, Jersey, NYC, NY State, Penn, De, RI, Conn, Mass and Canada.
I am also guessing signal strength is directly related to battery life. In the states above the Verizon
version was much better.

CC

goudok

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
My observations:

CC
Resale value argument is valid, overseas travel options is not. you do know that in every other country except for China and Japan the ATT phone is sold and nobody in the world uses CDMA, except for China and Japan and there are a few other Asian countries listed on the apple site. And i've been to China roaming on their network without having CDMA was just fine.

eclipxe

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Really weird that I see the exact opposite of what you are seeing. Where are you using the phone?
I am generally in the NE USA, Jersey, NYC, NY State, Penn, De, RI, Conn, Mass and Canada.
I am also guessing signal strength is directly related to battery life. In the states above the Verizon
version was much better.

CC

I'm testing in SoCal. 65% use wifi 35% LTE 2-3 bars.

How many hours usage are you seeing on each one?

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
It's possible that the Intel modem performs better on some bands and the Qualcomm performs better on others. There are a lot of variables... carrier, carrier bands you're connected to most often, how close you are to towers, how much interference there is at your location, etc. I doubt anyone is going to definitively prove that one modem is better than the other unless they have some serious test equipment and a lot of time on their hands. Maybe Anandtech will do a deep dive, but radio testing is one of the most complicated types of testing if you are looking for repeatable, scientific results, so it may even be out of their scope.

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
Can't say I'm having any issues with the Intel modem, I get much faster speeds in the same location compared to my 6.

1798705484.png

Reactions: Jetro

eclipxe

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
This is not interesting at all.

One does Verizon.

The other doesn't.

/thread

If you have no intention of using Verizon it is interesting. Especially if the performance differs between the two and you are on Tmo or ATT

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Now that I've used the iPhone 7 Plus for a week. I can tell the signal on T-Mobile is WORSE than my iPhone 6S Plus. I go through the same route on train every morning. With my iPhone 6S Plus I never had problems connecting to LTE. With the new iPhone 7 Plus I can completely have problems throughout my route. It isn't one day of the week this week but every single day since I got my iPhone. My iPhone has the Apple leather case only. In conclusion the Intel part sucks big time. Feel ripped off. Too bad I sent my iPhone 6s Plus back to T-Mobile for exchange.

brian3uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2016
Now that I've used the iPhone 7 Plus for a week. I can tell the signal on T-Mobile is WORSE than my iPhone 6S Plus. I go through the same route on train every morning. With my iPhone 6S Plus I never had problems connecting to LTE. With the new iPhone 7 Plus I can completely have problems throughout my route. It isn't one day of the week this week but every single day since I got my iPhone. My iPhone has the Apple leather case only. In conclusion the Intel part sucks big time. Feel ripped off. Too bad I sent my iPhone 6s Plus back to T-Mobile for exchange.

I went from a 6s to a 7 with T-mo and traded the 6s in. Now my LTE struggles to get above 5 at work where I had 30 before. If i go to the file room I drop to 4G but its faster than the LTE is. No one else here has trouble. I don't know what to do. :/

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Same. At home I use to get three and four dots. With my new iPhone 7 Plus I get about two and drops to one often. Intel sucks.

kruso2

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
I'm in Europe so I have the intel version and with the new 10.1 beta and modem firmware 1.01.06 I've experienced much improved battery life. On par or a bit better than 6s+

eclipxe

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Final test. Intel usage 9h 17m standby 14h 35m

Verdict: Intel has better battery in my area/usage than the Qualcomm on TMobile. Roughly 1-2hr battery life difference. Same lte speeds.

Reactions: tekjunkie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.