Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeArtworks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2015
Hi,

(when saying RX I mean Radeon Pro, sorry!)

Does anyone here have experience playing Planet Coaster through Boot Camp on the RX 460?

I'm trying to decide to sell my 13 inch MBP (i7 2016 tb) and buy the 15 inch MBP with 560, or keep the 13 inch MBP and buy an iMac with the 580. I'm going to do a lot of graphic design & coding, but also play planet coaster occasionally.

Could you guys please give some advice on which on to chose?

(Money not in consideration)

Thanks!!

Mike

Last edited:

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
If you are considering buying an RX 580 and an Thunderbolt enclosure, then you will get far superior performance out of your existing 13" machine than the Radeon Pro 560 in the 15".

I don't have any experience with the game you mentioned, but I have been very satisfied with the graphics performance from my 15" pro with the Radeon Pro 560. You also get the benefit of a quad-core CPU in the 15" Pro...
[doublepost=1501265925][/doublepost]Also, the RX 580s are extremely difficult to find (at reasonable prices) at the moment due the to Bitcoin mining craze going on. Something to keep in mind also before you make a decision...

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
Sorry!! I should've said 5k iMac with the 580!! @Patcell

Please reconsider that in
Sorry for the delayed response... I own the 2017 15" Pro with the Radeon Pro 560, and I find the GPU performance to be more than adequate. I do not have any experience with the Radeon Pro 580, but it will be quite a bit faster than the 560. I am guessing (I do not know for sure) that the Radeon Pro 580 will be roughly comparable to an RX 580. It will be a powerful GPU and leagues ahead of the RP560 in the MacBook Pro.

Something else to consider is the external GPU support in the upcoming macOS High Sierra (to be released this coming fall). This would allow you to connect a desktop GPU to your existing 13" MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt 3. A potentially less costly option than outfitting an iMac with the RP580...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.