Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
He designed headphones....who here thinks the headphones that come with the iPhone/iPod need a redesign?

Headphones is one area that Apple certainly can use a lot of help. The current earbuds totally suc*. Ironman is likely developing this for himself, and dropping names to get this publicity.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Lemon squeezer running iOS

Attachments

• lemon.jpg
    lemon.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 651

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
iPad socks

I couldn't get out my credit card fast enough for iPad Socks.

iPad with Wings.

So it's not enough that iTunes has The Beatles? The next iPad has to come preloaded with Paul McCartney & Wings? I'd buy that too, for sure.

-----

I'm interested to see a revolutionary product that has the potential to have someone other than (or in addition to) Jony Ive's name.

In recent memory, I can't recall an Apple video where Jony was the spokesman for the design team. That likely won't change, but the major influence of someone else intrigues me.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
Why the hype over a tv?

People in droves won't have the capital to plunk down $1500-$2000 for a tv when one could be had for much larger at the same price.

But then their marketing genius people will believe they don't need a big tv.

I guess there is little chance the apple tv will ever run apps as they hold out for their tv sets

So you have a magical device that goes forward in time and tells you the price of products not on the market yet. Wow ....freaking awesome.

buymeaniphone

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
I'm surprised this post didn't mention anything about Starck's Fossil Watch Line. There was talk about Apple trying to enter the wearable technology market, maybe Starck is assisting in this effort.

clownboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
Starck is renowned by his peers as one of, if not, the greatest living industrial designer of the last 50 years.

He will be remembered long after Johnny Ive.

Starck > Ive

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Seems that a lot of people in the thread don't know who Starck is. I knew who he was long before I'd ever heard of Ive, and most of the people I know in real life would be the same. Ive himself will be a great admirer of Starck I don't doubt.

Disappointed at the comment quality, I'm guessing the forum really is flooded with a younger, less savvy, and certainly less 'hip' crowd than when I joined.

enhanced-buzz-30296-1298404780-9.jpg

tomashi

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
****ing lame. just shut your mouth, work on the product and release when you are ready. building this needless hype is ********

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
No. Chance.

Starck's style is exactly the opposite of Ive's. You almost never get two giant names from the same discipline working on a single product.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

You realize Apple doesn't redesign something for the sake of a redesign lately (Mac Pro). Once you get to a certain point, unless the needs change, you reach the apex of form and function. Then there's no reason to change.

This. This is EXACTLY what I thought when I read the article, then I saw the last bit:

it is unclear from his brief comments whether he is working on an actual Apple product or something else for which he is coordinating with Apple.

I'd say using deductive reasoning, we have our answer.

Hayman1995

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
Philippe Starck is a pretentious, all style, no substance designer, good only for designing handbags and squeezers, and even they don't work.

Imagine if Jonathan Ive working with ross lovegrove. Organic solar powered laptops and phones, its about time some one did it properly.

AisEv

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
I used to own the Philippe Starck designed TV and VCR sets. They look cool during their time. But the design is pretty outdated now. See pic below. Got the bigger TV. The pic is a smaller one. The remote controls are like ice cream cones. Not really into Starck designs now. The products look good in photographs. But when in front of you, they are really crap.

strck10.jpg

----------

Oh, the buttons on the TV, VCR and remotes are damn tiny! Awful to use despite their cool looks then.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
This was said about the iPod, iPhone, and iPad as well. People aren't going to want to spend the money. Yes, this is considerably more money, but it's also a larger device. I'm willing to bet that people WILL buy an Apple designed television. And I'm willing to bet that once it's unveiled, I will be looking for ways to accidentally knock my HDTV off the entertainment center so that I can tell my wife we need a new TV.

I paid $500 for my iPod back in the day and that was in college. It was a lot but it wasn't impossible for many of us to buy them.

$2000 for a tv? I don't think so.

laflores

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Costa Rica
Obviously, he's talking about his new headphones. If we would be working in an apple product, he couldn't even say it... You can't put two famous designers to work together, the process would be destructive.

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
I don't think Starck will be a designer for Apple. For this, he would need to bump Jony Ive and it won't happen. Jony Ive and his team are responsible for all the legendary (you can't say it's not true) design of Apple products. Why kicking him out?

Also, in 8 months it will be Christmas and I think it's the worst time to introduce a TV. People will already have their budget planned for gifts. Also spending $1000+ before Christmas is a considerable expense so people won't have cash to buy an Apple Television plus gifts so they won't sell a lot in this period. They should introduce it in October so people can save money to purchase one for Christmas.

clownboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
Sir Jonathan Ive.

Ive is an amazing designer and no one remembers French people.

Being knighted is hardly a mark of greatness. You'll be aware of Fred Goodwin and Sir David Murray. Two disgraced people who were knighted that I can remember off the top of my head.

Re French people:

Monet
Rodin
Matisse
Gauguin
Renoir
Cézanne
Duchamp

Stop being a little fan boy and educate yourself.

baldyauldeejit

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
Citric acid-fuelled power cell/iPad recharger in the guise of a futuristic, stunningly beautiful - but wholly impractical - lemon juicer. (Well, he must have warehouses full of the damn things he wants to get rid of.)

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I paid $500 for my iPod back in the day and that was in college. It was a lot but it wasn't impossible for many of us to buy them.

$2000 for a tv? I don't think so.

First of all, nobody knows the pricing.

Second of all, nobody knows what it will do.

And finally, nobody knows if it's even a TV yet.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
We'll see. I'm sure Apple is well aware of all your points and will not just parade out an LCD screen with an Apple TV built in. They are going to include something that will make it a must have, and I'm sure they're well aware that people aren't going to want to replace their TVs every year.

Oh I'm not saying the device won't be worthy, just that it's a major fallacy to expect it to perform like the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.