Did you buy Apple Care+ with iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by osx11, Mar 11, 2012.

?

Did you get Apple Care+ with your "new" iPad?

1. Yes

156 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. No

269 vote(s)
    63.3%
  1. osx11 macrumors 6502a

Did you guys buy Apple Care with your "new" iPad?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Yes and I highly suggest you buy it. These screens are extremely advanced and in all likelihood any damage to the screen will result in a completely ruined iPad. I wouldn't want to risk dropping the iPad and losing out on $550 (after tax).

4. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I'm considering it just for the ability to use the iPad outside of a case without worrying about dropping it and cracking the screen.

Ultimately I will probably save the money and just keep it in a reasonably tough case though, thats safe enough. Can take it out at home around carpet.

edit: To the above guy, from what I've read the touch screen is not sensitive to damage, it will often work with a shattered screen (which is glued together). Problem is that if you drop it hard enough to crack, it often does completely shatter and touch screen working or no its obviously ruined.

5. doboy macrumors 68000

I believe you can do out of warranty replacement for $269-$349 for wifi, AFAIK.

6. Larrupin macrumors member

Larrupin

I barely got my iPad pre-ordered with all the site crashes but I'll be buying it as soon as FedEx gets to my house on Friday. I'd rather have it and never use it than take a chance.

7. troop231 macrumors 603

Nope, I don't plan on keeping it for more than a year, so it's not necessary :) I do the yearly resell thing, and have no intentions on stopping.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Just don't drop it that first year... :D

9. Gorion macrumors member

I ended up getting the AppleCare +. I figure if I spent the amount of money that I did, I might as well get the warranty with it. As for why I got AppleCare instead of SquareTrade, part of that has to do with the fact that I live near an Apple Store.

10. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I did just like I did with my 4S. Recently I had some water spill on my shirt pocket where my iPhone was. Initially the speaker would not work but after everything dried out my phone was working again. Of course, the water sensor in the headphone jack has been tripped so warranty service will not be possible but luckily I can get another phone for $49 if it does stop working. I just prefer to have piece of mind.

11. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

For the first time I can remember I purchased the "extended warranty" via AppleCare+.. I've changed screens in several different iOS devices without much difficulty, but for some reason I feel more comfortable with the two years/two accidents of this plan.. having two sons under the age of five will do that to you. I do plan on letting them use it with some of the wonderful educational apps I've seen, so I expect something to happen eventually. I'd rather have the device replaced/repaired officially than kill the warranty entirely on a DIY repair.

12. troop231 macrumors 603

It basically resides on a desk most of the time lol, hopefully I'll be good :)

13. urkel macrumors 68030

My AppleCare is Ebay. Ill use it for a year within the included AppleCare and then sell to get a fresh warranty on the next one I buy.

14. jc3 macrumors newbie

Nope, my credit card already double the manufactures warranty and has accidental damage up to $500 for everything I buy!

15. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

16. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

No .... really apple care is pointless in my opinion (I have read some fine print in the warranty for iPhones and iPads and there is some good replacement early already built in.

Really if you buy the 4G version cause you take this all over with you then maybe if you feel better with some kind of warranty protection but if it's just the WiFi version that you use at home unless you have some snot nosed kids that ruin your crap all the time ... take care of your valuables and you wont have any issues needing replacement.

17. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I did not. I get some purchase protection with my AmEx card. But more importantly, I always purchase insurance through Worth Ave Group. It's a great deal and they are really good. Sadly, I had a claim on my MBA but they took care of it in 2 days.

As far as the extended warranty part of AppleCare, I have been upgrading on each yearly cycle of the iPad so I have never had one out of the standard warranty.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, my iPad 2 fell from the seat of a chair onto carpet (2 feet?) and the screen cracked. I was fortunate enough that an Apple Genius replaced it for free. I suspect that with the introduction of AppleCare+ for iPad these freebies are a thing of the past.

AppleCare will also enhance the resale value next year when I ger the newer iPad...

19. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

It's not myself that I am worried about it... it's the people who might be around my valuables. Never know what can happen.

20. pdawg macrumors regular

21. MS2083 macrumors regular

Since the iPad Applecare+ includes Accidental Damage Coverage, I will consider getting it on Launch Day!

22. doboy macrumors 68000

Accidental damage coverage is typically 90 days of purchase.

23. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I didn't but I will. So far I've bought an iPad every year, but I'm planning to keep this one for two years -- retina was what I was waiting for. :)

Didn't want to plunk down the extra $100 when I was already spending $900 this month, so I'm going to pick it up next month. Does anyone know - do you only have 30 days to buy it, or can you get it anytime within the next year?

24. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

within 30 days