Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you get Apple Care+ with your "new" iPad?

• Yes

Votes: 156 36.7%
  • No

Votes: 269 63.3%

• Total voters

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
It says I have 30 days after purchase...but I preordered it.
Does that mean 30 days from the day I ordered it or from the 16th?

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I never buy Applecare, but today I took my 32GB WiFi back to the store to exchange it for a 64GB 4G. Maybe I was just caught up in the moment but also the thought that I had just upped the ante considerably from a cost standpoint I decided to go ahead and get it. Hopefully I will never need it, but it does give some peace of mind.

ano0oj

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
I never buy Applecare, but today I took my 32GB WiFi back to the store to exchange it for a 64GB 4G. Maybe I was just caught up in the moment but also the thought that I had just upped the ante considerably from a cost standpoint I decided to go ahead and get it. Hopefully I will never need it, but it does give some peace of mind.

Lol I did the same thing today....went in to buy the smart cover and ended up getting AppleCare as well because $50 and you get a brand new iPad...they've basically matched best buys warranty

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
If worried only about failure of the unit, I think the CC (VISA in my case) free extra year warranty with no dedictible is perfect.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
So Squaretrade now offers 3 years, and its $109 right now with the Facebook special. If you figure $36.33/year, maybe Squaretrade would be the way to go. If its true about being able to get a prorated refund at any time you can get a year of coverage, get $72.66 back if you upgrade to the next iPad in a year.

Its not. Squaretrade is a deminishing value insurance policy. The cost of each repair is deducted from the face value of the coverage. In addition they have a $49 co-pay for ALL claims (Damage or Manufacturer defect).

Adding a third year is nice, but if you make a couple of claims your policy could be gone (well before the 3 years have lapsed).

Squaretrade makes sense if you dont file claims, or dont expect too.

I bought applecare + so I can make use of the ipad for the full term and know that no matter home many repairs I need as long as they are not damage replacements, they will be covered for the FULL 2 years.

Now, if apple had a flat rate for replacement of the iPad 3 no matter the damage (except for intentional damage) then you might be able to better determine how much repairing the Squaretrade warranty would cover and know if its worth it.

For me I wanted the ability to walk into an Apple store and have it taken care of on the spot.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Alright, I don't get AppleCare.

If you have a faulty device, it is bound to break down within the first 12 months, not break after this period. I have owned and used electronic devices of all shapes & forms for about 25 years now, and they only break down within a very short period of time due to a manufacturing mistake. If it works for the first 3-6 months, it's likely going to work for the next 2-3 years just fine.

And with Apple devices, most of us are going to be getting the iPad 4 in a year anyway. So what good is AppleCare for us forum geeks?

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010

If you have a faulty device, it is bound to break down within the first 12 months, not break after this period. I have owned and used electronic devices of all shapes & forms for about 25 years now, and they only break down within a very short period of time due to a manufacturing mistake. If it works for the first 3-6 months, it's likely going to work for the next 2-3 years just fine.

And with Apple devices, most of us are going to be getting the iPad 4 in a year anyway. So what good is AppleCare for us forum geeks?

Accidental damage coverage. Stuff happens.

Last edited:

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
No

Electronics product brought in the European union are covered under two years manufacture warranty, even though most retailers do not openly advertising this fact.

Apple got into trouble in Italy and Austria for not clearly define the difference between standard and the AppleCare + package.

Also have house insurance to cover accidental damage of iPad. If you have multiple electronic gadgets it is cheaper to buy one insurance to cover them all.

Last edited:

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I did not when I purchased mine Saturday from best buy. After reading this thread last night and voting no. I then realize the apple care + has the 2 return policy for accidental damage. I was all over it at the apple store today and feel much better letting my 6 year old play with it.

MyPad

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
I had a totally weird experience purchasing Applecare+ over the phone.

First, as I understand it, Florida has weird rules about being able to purchase the warranty over the phone. I'm in Florida. But I thought I'd try calling Apple anyway, to save me a trip to the Apple store. I fully expected to be told during the phone call that I had to go to the Apple store to purchase it.

The first guy I get on the phone sounds happy I want to purchase Applecare. So he takes all my information, then says he has to check and see if he can sell me Applecare over the phone since I'm in Florida. I'm on hold for like 10 minutes. He comes back and says HE can't sell it to me, but his "warranty administrators" or whoever can make an exception for me to do it over the phone. He'll transfer me to them. So, fine. He transfers me. Next guy takes all my info. Then he says, HE can't sell me Applecare, but his supervisor can. WTF. So I get transfered to a "supervisor", and go through all of this stuff again. Finally, that guy finalizes the order, and I get the warranty via email the next day.

Very, very odd.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I just called and got AC+.

At first they tried to tell me I would need to go to the Apple Store to ensure there was no existing damage.

I said that was silly, so the guy switched me to the Administrative Dept. that handles AC, and they signed us up with no questions asked.

Good to know we have coverage, especially when we take it camping, etc.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I understand the reason to get Applecare+, it's like any insurance plan... but I honestly can't justify it for my own expenses. If my iPad craps out in the first year I'm covered... and I'm the kind of nerd that sells after 1 year anyway... and if I break it, I feel like I shouldn't have nice things to begin with.

Like my wife and cellphones... for some reason she can't ever hold onto them.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR

It's more for the accidental damage, as people have suggested. You can use your iPad naked and do anything you want to it, knowing a replacement is 50$ away. I got it for the 4S and used it naked for a while. I did eventually drop it from a low height, but it causes a hairline crack in the back. I know that if I want to, I can go get a new one at any time, rather than having to live with the cracks forever. Also means that next year, you can pay 50$ to go get a new one, and resell it in mint condition towards our new iPad's :)

zurichuk

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I already tried to get AppleCare yesterday at the local Apple store, it was late and they had shut early for stock-taking. Will make another attempt later in the week. Hope I don't drop it in the next day or so.

I gave my old cracked iPad away tonight to my sister-in-law. I dropped it onto a stone floor so for me, it's almost a necessity. (luckily only the corner was cracked and dented, leaving her with a totally usable device)

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I take care of most of my electronics so not to worried about dropping it or any damage

It's pretty easy to say that, but so many things can happen with mobile devices -if- you actually use them in the wild. I've seen people walk away from a desk and have a coworker spill a drink on something. I've dropped my phone trying to climb out of the car, etc. Sure, it almost never happens.. but once in a 2 year period is all it takes.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Nope, my credit card already double the manufactures warranty and has accidental damage up to $500 for everything I buy!

And for only $67, my credit card company will cover repair/replacement if it fails for 4 years from date of purchase. No deductible. So for me, AppleCare isn't a good deal.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
And for only $67, my credit card company will cover repair/replacement if it fails for 4 years from date of purchase. No deductible. So for me, AppleCare isn't a good deal.

I bet thats a 1 time repair/replacement. Did you ask them about that?

Nufsayd

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Not that it matters, but I just read the following on Apple's website:

Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling of your iPad, each subject to a $49 service fee

So hopefully no one has more than two incidents, as it seems it would not be covered:( So the real cost of two accidents would be $199? ($99 up front, plus $50 for each accident)

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
That's correct, if you shatter the screen for the 3rd time you're out of luck.

$99 AC+ gives you 2 years warranty total + the ability to exchange for accidental damage up to two times ($50 per incident)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.