Votes: 196 53.7%
  • VERIZON

Votes: 169 46.3%

• Total voters

NJRonbo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
I went with AT&T only because my iPhone is on that carrier.

I am hoping AT&T announces a shared plan at some point.

Downside is, Verizon has the bigger LTE network right now.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2006
I went with AT&T for one reason:

AT&T iPads can still use the faster HSDP+ network when there's no LTE coverage.

Verizon iPads can only use the slower EV-DO network when there's no LTE coverage.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
AT&T has LTE in all the big cities I visit as well as HSPA+ in Southern Oregon, where I live. While Verizon is great, I chose AT&T.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Bought ATT because I was hoping my unlimited ipad1 data plan will be grandfathered. Sveralother threads seem to confirm that is the case, so I guess I made a good choice.:D

While I never come close to even hitting 2 gb, for some reason I still like the concept.

mikejfrd

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I went with AT&T for one reason:

AT&T iPads can still use the faster HSDP+ network when there's no LTE coverage.

Verizon iPads can only use the slower EV-DO network when there's no LTE coverage.
My exact thoughts!

Scuba-EMT

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Solomons Island, MD
I have AT&T w/unlimited data on my IPad 1, so I stayed with it. But ,y work phone is a IPhone 4S with tethering, so I have the best of both when needed.

Cheers,

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
I'm torn- I live in San Francisco and AT&T's HSPA+ is great when it works. Both AT&T and Verizon have LTE here but I'd hate to be on crappy AT&T but I'd be even more upset if I'm on Verizon 3G. Ahhh decisions!

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I ordered a verizon. Which is a change for me as I have always went with ATT on both iPads and iPhones. However im driving to Florida for a few weeks on march 23rd as I do every year and literally EVERY year I have NO SERVICE in the southern states. Plus I figure the verizon LTE coverage map is much better then att. lets hope verizon is honest about it. As the ATT map says we have 4g HSPA+ where I live and im yet to get over 5mb/s (which was only once) most of the time I get 2-3mb/s which is close enough to verizons 3g.

Paulshaqz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
i have a first gen wifi iPad so this would be my first i went with verizon even tho i have att iPhone 4s because i figured verizon is more reliable then att network plus i'm hoping it's faster vz is faster in the bay area then att.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
I ordered a verizon. Which is a change for me as I have always went with ATT on both iPads and iPhones. However im driving to Florida for a few weeks on march 23rd as I do every year and literally EVERY year I have NO SERVICE in the southern states. Plus I figure the verizon LTE coverage map is much better then att. lets hope verizon is honest about it. As the ATT map says we have 4g HSPA+ where I live and im yet to get over 5mb/s (which was only once) most of the time I get 2-3mb/s which is close enough to verizons 3g.
That's surprising to me. ATT is usually preferred in the midwest and south (where I live). I've never had any trouble with my iPhone on ATT honestly, very fast network speeds and good coverage (again, in the south where I live). So I went with ATT for my first iPad.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Big Red, my iphone and ipad 2 are with them.

Does anyone know if when 4G isn't available. does it go back into 3G like the iPad 2 uses?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Big Red, my iphone and ipad 2 are with them.

Does anyone know if when 4G isn't available. does it go back into 3G like the iPad 2 uses?
  • Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
  • Bluetooth 4.0 technology
  • Wi-Fi + 4G for AT&T model: LTE (700, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • Wi-Fi + 4G for Verizon model: LTE (700 MHz); CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz); UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • Data only

It will, but Verizon's 3G is slower than AT&T's 3G.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
That's surprising to me. ATT is usually preferred in the midwest and south (where I live). I've never had any trouble with my iPhone on ATT honestly, very fast network speeds and good coverage (again, in the south where I live). So I went with ATT for my first iPad.
whenever I drive thru NC,SC,GA ATT is pretty spotty. alot of the time i have no service or if i have service its like 1 bar and super slow.

edlsen

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
I had to go with Verizon because the AT&T coverage in Iowa is just pitiful. For some reason South Dakota has better At&T coverage than Iowa.

I know you "coasters" are laughing and wondering what the difference between the two would be, but Iowa's population is about 4 times that of South Dakota.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
I went with AT&T with my "New iPad" ordered tonight for two basic reasons. It's who I have my iPhone with, and that they offer a 15$ "one month" option as their lowest tier rather than the 30$ option for the lowest on Verizon. In my case I'll only sign on to 4G (3G with my iPad 1) for when I go out of town for just a few days.

Mike

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
I live in Tampa one of AT&T's best cities and Verizon is still the best coverage in the area. My friend was happy with them aswell untill he traveled once and lets just say he is a Red Man now.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
I got the AT&T version, i'm hoping they have some coverage around Philly and Delaware. I know they cover Baltimore in LTE, but I don't know around me.

I do know that Verizons 3g is slow, but they have better LTE coverage than AT&T.

Hope I made the right choice, my iPhone is AT&T also.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
I live in Tampa one of AT&T's best cities and Verizon is still the best coverage in the area. My friend was happy with them aswell untill he traveled once and lets just say he is a Red Man now.
Oh really? I drove from Oklahoma to Florida last summer down the coastal highway and I didn't have any problems! Interesting.

vegastime

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Virginia
Ordered one of each, but will probably keep AT&T since I have the unlimited plan. Have my phone on Verizon, so I am well covered.