Disney Is the Only Major Hollywood Studio Not Backing Apple's Plan to Sell 4K Films at $20

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. sdwaltz macrumors 6502

Marvel stuff is fine but overhyped, Star Wars always sucked.

2. miked2023 macrumors newbie

Will we still get a free upgrade to the Disney movies we already own?

3. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

So you don't like Pixar, traditional Disney, Star Wars, and think Marvel is "fine". What DO you like?

4. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

But does the free upgrade to 4K cover them? Disney Movies Anywhere hits all the biggies... so that'd be an awesome win amongst the loss I face since I redeem thru Vudu... I love that free upgrade offer.

5. scoobydoo99 macrumors 6502a

And they still don't really support 4K (other than a couple of streaming outlets). Disney just released their first 4K HDR Blu Ray last month!

6. lazard macrumors 65816

Why are people surprised by this, everyone knows that they're launching their own streaming service.

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Why would Disney lose sales? If you want to watch their content, you pay. They can set whatever price they want. Apple does not allow anyone to tell them what price they should sell their products, why should they tell Disney?

8. HobeSoundDarryl, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Right. I wish there was a parallel thread where Disney was publicly pressuring Apple to permanently cut their prices by 30% off their normal pricing. Certainly this crowd would cheer on Disney and sling comparable negative toward "greedy" Apple, right? Rhetorical. This crowd would flip out: "how dare some other company try to tell Apple how to price its own products!" And "30% off would take a huge bite out of Apple's profit", etc.

9. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

Yep, and I bet it provides 4K.

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

irony, Apple was the last to the scene with a 4K tv box.....
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    $999 iPhone is okay for 64GB, but Disney is greedy with $5.......

iPad Pro prices also just jumped $50...... hmmm

11. lazard macrumors 65816

last and most expensive

12. entropyfl macrumors regular

They need to get with the times! Physical sales are at an all time low and it won't improve with unrealistic pricing.

They offer cheaper Disney films on iTunes UK so they obviously are just being awkward.

13. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Ideally and typically they should as they are established into your account as 'Purchased' or owned. If you can goto the Movies title in the iTunes Store and it says Play/Download then you should be able to get them upgraded.

Disney and their subsidiaries do not or hardly discount their titles, 14.99 is the lowest I've seen some of their animated features go down to. Any of their additional subsidiaries such as Touchstone, Buena Vista, Hollywood Pictures, etc are all ridiculously over priced; i.e. 17.99 for Encino Man and other similar movies...Disney companies seemingly have a flat rate on their titles and divisions.

14. monster620ie macrumors member

so do most of you have 4k TV to even enjoy this yet?

15. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yes.

16. IvanX macrumors 6502

Movies for $25-50? That is a joke. Studios need to come back down to Earth and price things more reasonably to attract more interest from people.

17. Mirice99 macrumors newbie

Disney includes a free code with almost off of their movies so anyone paying 19.99 for Toy Story for a drm ridden file is stupid considering Best Buy sells Toy story on Blu Ray with a code for a itunes download for 24.99.

18. mlabonte21 macrumors member

mlabonte21

I think Disney has to do some more work on the back-end to get Disney Movies Anywhere all-setup 4K-wise with all of the various digital distributors.

No doubt Vudu/Google/Amazon got caught with their pants down yesterday.

Disney will probably have their own formal announcement in 6 months time once they have all their ducks in a row.

19. Mirice99 macrumors newbie

You are totally right and should be giving stock advice, Disney a company worth an estimated 150 to 165 billion will go out of business due to a few Apple zealots outraged that Disney want to charge 5 dollars more for 4k movies that they wouldn't have even bought to begin with. I am selling my all stock thanks to your brilliant analysis before it collapses and is worth nothing.

20. mabhatter macrumors 6502a

Let's face it, Disney makes its money off measuring out demand for its catalog in small doses. They are still in the "blu-ray" remaster cycle of back catalog when the market is overtaking them into 4K pretty quickly. I'm sure it takes years planning to remaster the old classics into each new format as most of them were put to film long before DVD was a thing. The pipeline probable doesn't have 4K products ready outside new releases. Going back to redo 4K would cost a lot of money and missed deadlines. And the mouse needs his cheese!

21. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

This is why I didn't want marvel in disney's hands. They are going to milk it dry.

22. ssgbryan macrumors 6502

ssgbryan

Xmas.

Well, technically just after Xmas. Love those end-of-year sales.

23. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

Didn't they demo Spider-Man in 4K? That is part of the marvel universe. Is it because Sony is the distributer instead?

24. Daws001 macrumors 6502

Daws001

$25+ for a movie? Nope. I'll catch the $9 sale.

25. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Of course they won't; not a fan of Disney's practices and a good bulk of their current content. Sales down the road, yeah, okay.