Disney Is the Only Major Hollywood Studio Not Backing Apple's Plan to Sell 4K Films at $20

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has the distribution rights. In fact I don't think Marvel Studios actually made any money from the film.

2. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

No since it’s not available anywhere in 4k

3. deyorew macrumors member

This article is a little misleading. All the studios listed have numerous titles offered at 4K. Disney actually only has 1 film (Guardians of the Galaxy 2) available at the moment on any format. Upcoming Pirates movie and Cars 3 are the other two films in queue.

So this is not a reflection of the deal with Apple, more just a reflection of Disney's stance on rolling out 4K titles and content.

4. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

They do all the time on Vudu and iTunes.

5. millerlite macrumors member

millerlite

Such a cash grab. It costs Disney nothing to convert their movies to 4K and the distribution is handled by Apple, so an extra $5 is shameful. Nobody wants to buy the same movies they already own again and again. I will not be buying Start Wars again. I have it on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray and Digital. No more!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Is that price to own or just rent over the course of 24 hours? $50 still seems steep when you can get it $30 cheaper a few months later.

6. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Another bit of news was that Disney is pulling their content from Netflix. Word is, they're going to star their own streaming service. Between that and this, they don't want those services and purchases cannibalizing money made from their own streaming service. Whether or not Netflix goers and other parties are willing to add another streaming service to their monthly bill is another thing entirely.

7. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Disney has a very, very long history of dancing to its own drummer in these matters, going all the way back to the early days of Beta and VHS (and even earlier, when you consider their TV and theatrical release policies). Disney will do what's best for Disney.

Personally, I was astounded that Eddie (and maybe Jimmy Iovine and Dre) were able to pull this off at all. It's a great start. Whether Apple allows other studios to do separate pricing for 4k vs. HD remains to be seen - it'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

8. unobtainium macrumors 68000

The big ones (Star Wars, Marvel) seem to be discounted very seldom, and not by very much. Not that I blame Disney. Entertainment is a product just like anything else.

9. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Yeah... so that's what you say when Apple finally releases a 4K capable streaming device. Yawn, get in line. Oh, and that's quite hilarious coming from a company that is almost always late to the party but people excuse it as "they're doing it right".

Bravo Disney, stick to your guns. Do what's best for you and your shareholders. Like they even need iTunes for movie distribution.

And as for this quote in the article
    The close relationship was between Disney and Steve, not Apple. Apple was simply a beneficiary of that relationship.

10. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Stupid Mouse.

It’s not hard to figure out why they are doing this.

But it’s a strategy tax on their customers.

Hostile behavior towards your customers won’t be saved by your branded content. People will go back to stealing or ignoring you.

11. cube macrumors G5

I don't care. I care that Netflix has almost no third party movies in 4K.

12. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Nothing you said couldn't be said about Apple.

13. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

You assume consumers still want discs...they don't. Pay $5 more (plus tax) for a coaster. Sales having been dwindling every year and retailers have cut back on stock.

Sometimes they just want to click 'buy' and start watching.
    Star wars has been half off once or twice. marvel goes on sale as well. You just need to follow them to know when sales happen.

14. Defthand macrumors 6502

I dunno. Disney wants the same respect and compensation for its products as Apple expects for its. Apple is greedier when you think about it. Apple wants others to make price concessions that ultimately benefit Apple (You believe Apple is concerned about your wallet?). And in exchange for what? Easy access to Apple's millions of customers, right? Personally, I'd hold out. The ATV isn't the only delivery channel. There's smart TVs, Roku, and pay-per-view.

15. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

Wait, so no ABC, either? Can keep these corporate buying sprees straight... :rolleyes:

16. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

"ABC" is not a movie studio.

17. goin3d macrumors member

Apple likes to do it's own thing, has some of the highest profit margins out there and they "special"
    Disney likes to do it's own thing, has one of the most valuable content catalogs in the world and they are "greedy" for not wanting to drop their movie prices (which are already competitive) AND pay the apple tax for distribution

That logic doesn't add up. I'm sure they will find the common ground in the future, but any time you deal with Disney content is never quick and easy.

18. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

Are we sure about that? Movies, TV Movies, Cinema, Films, Motion Pictures, and (you guessed it!) Features!

Also, I'm speaking of general content ownership -Comcast/NBC, etc. Too bad the list didn't include Amazon.

19. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

20. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Right now 4K content is mainly:

1) Streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and their original programming
    2) Movies (feature films) you can buy

Don't think there are any network shows available in 4K yet. Even HBO/Showtime/etc hasn't gotten into 4K.

The Amazon/Netflix/Vudu/etc apps on the new ATV will all stream in 4K with updates. The announcement we are talking about here movies because that's where the content is.

21. cube macrumors G5

This is not true. You can buy many discs for less than downloads, and Apple does not offer that quality.

I never bought media from iTunes. I got my CDs at Amazon cheaper. Now I buy SACD and Blu Ray 3D on sale, I stream the rest of new music as FLAC.

22. Matthmaroo macrumors newbie

Matthmaroo

A iPhone x is 999 , a note8 is 970

Wow so huge a difference
    Last hold outs?

Samsung , sony , Microsoft
    Come to mind

23. DamoTheBrave macrumors regular

The world is moving away from owning copies of digital media to being able acces and stream. That's what apple needs to crack.

24. cube, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

cube macrumors G5

I only buy Blu Ray 3D and SACD because basically you can't stream 3D and multichannel.

25. Cigsm macrumors 6502

Figuring that Disney has just one movie in 4K I, going to say no