Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatTechGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2012
I have a MacBook Pro that I use on the go as well as my "desktop" machine connected to 2x 27" monitors via a thunderbolt dock. I can't seem to figure out why when I disconnect my MacBook and go to work and then come back and plug it back into the dock the display arrangement changes. The left screen is now on the right monitor and vice versa. It doesn't do this every time, sometimes I'll go a week without this happening or sometimes it will be every day. It happens sometimes without me even disconnecting from the dock. I will use it, go away for a few hours and without even unplugging anything it switches on me. Any ideas? Redoing the arrangement each time is getting really old. I'm running Ventura 13.3.1 on a 2018 15-inch MB Pro.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
The issue could be related to monitors having the same firmware and reporting the same EDID number. Your Mac can't tell them apart which is why the monitors will sometimes switch arrangements. What are the make and models of your monitors?

You may find this post very interesting...

Last edited:

ThatTechGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2012
That's an interesting thought...they are both the same monitor: MSI 27" Model: Optix G273

SahinaTom

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2023
I think this is happening because of outdated display drivers. You should try updating the display drivers. Also, you should check the Mac Spacs settings.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
@ThatTechGuy You might be able to set custom EDID for each display using software -

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
You might find something useful in this thread where this very subject was discussed quite extensively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.