Do you guys recommend AppleCare for a Mid-2010 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sherman90, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Sherman90 macrumors newbie

Got a 17" Macbook Pro i7. I love this machine. Runs solid, the build and screen are beautiful, and an i7 with upgradeable HDD and RAM makes it relatively future-proof in my eyes.

Having said that, AppleCare is $379 up here in Canada and I'm having a tough time justifying the extra investment. On the other hand, my last Macbook Pro (15" C2D) died two and a half years in.

I know the question is basically rhetorical (who the hell knows if and when a machine will break down), but do you guys recommend getting AppleCare? My current warranty expires in July 2011.

2. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

personally i didnt get applecare just because im not paying another 400 ontop of the 3 grand i paid for the mbp, that being said, if it does break down apple will still fix it, just for a charge though, but if you're really cheap theirs always ifixit.com

3. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I don't see why a warranty extension should cost more than $150. Telephone support is useless. If they want to charge so much for AppleCare please at least guarantee me a free battery replacement with no testing required. :rolleyes:

4. shoebobs macrumors regular

If you buy Applecare and then, for example, spill water on your machine during year 1, thus voiding the warranty, do you get a refund on the Applecare?

If not, is there any reason to buy Applecare when you first purchase the Mac, as opposed to waiting until the end of year 1?

5. cootersgarage6, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

yes.

Yes, totally. Because once the 1 year is up, you can't get another warranty on it. That would seriously suck if something happened to it. Say 2 years from now, or 6 months, you have a question about the screen or something, or the OSX, you can't call and ask ANYTHING. It's also the piece of mind you get.

6. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

7. Kreylonus macrumors newbie

I'd recommend it for the extra peace of mind that if anything fails, it's covered.

8. stev3n macrumors 6502

I would definitely get it. It is pricey but repairs out of warranty could easily cost more then the one-time purchase of Apple Care.

9. Kauai macrumors 6502a

1. Buy Applecare only when you need it, after the initial warranty expires, in order to absorb the initial costs of the MBP.
    2. Buy Applecare on Ebay and save 100-150 bucks.
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

With AppleCare, it basically comes down to this...

you're betting against Apple that your computer IS going to fail. Apple is betting against you that your computer will be free of failure.

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You cant buy and apply Applecare after the original expires.

Ebay is a horrible place to buy it.

12. Kauai macrumors 6502a

1. Sorry, I spoke wrong. Buy it right before it expires.

2. Only if you're an idiot who will buy from anyone without checking their feedback. Never had a bad experience with eBay.

13. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I bought 100% authentic Dr.Dre Beats Tour headphones from a seller with 100% feedback...they were fake. If you look at many users, its the ones with high feedbacks that usually end up screwing people and stop sending items.

Also, no point to buy it RIGHT before as you can get a pro-rated refund.

14. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Usually the people who are selling things like Applecare are resellers, and are thus selling it in bulk. Sorry, but when you have 200-300 good reviews and they are selling it 100-150 bucks cheaper, the chances of you getting screwed over are next to nil compared to the savings.

It certainly isn't "many" users considering I don't know anyone who has had something like that happen to them on eBay. Was it 100% as in 2-3 feedback or as in a few hundred sales of relatively decent items?

All I'm saying is if you use basic sense on eBay, you're relatively safe. Certainly many times over more safe than Craigslist or similar other systems. And even if you do get screwed over, it may take a few weeks but eBay will almost always refund you.

And sorry, I'm not really sure what you mean by pro-rated refund.

15. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

In any case Apple wins. This insurance cost for additional 2 years of warranty is nearly 20% of the purchase price....

16. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Well the person selling the item has 116 reviews and is 100% positive. Ive seen ones with 3-4k reviews just start not sending items. So your logic is save $100 now then find out down the road you bought counterfeit Applecare when you try to have your Mac fixed and then you cant buy it at all because your original one year expired. There are things to buy off ebay and things not to buy...Applecare is one thing you should not be buying off of ebay. If I recall there is a camera sales website that sells it at quite the discount - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582543-REG/Apple_MC247LL_A_3_Year_AppleCare_for_15.html

17. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Its about 10%. My computer was $2600, ram included. I can get AppleCare for $244 which also covers my ram. 2600/244=10.65%

18. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I don't know about you, but being able to call Apple tech support up is a nice added bonus for AppleCare. Extremely knowledgeable and polite, and enjoy troubleshooting with you while you're in the call with them.

It's hard for me to think of another company with tech support like that.

It's a no brainer for my dad, even when I'm screen sharing with him and helping him troubleshoot. I'm no expert, either.

Switched to Macs to reduce the stress of using computers. Competent tech support helps with that, too.

19. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

If you throw in a Cinema display (if you purchased one with your Mac), then it's less than that.

20. tjb1, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

tjb1 macrumors 68000

AppleCare for displays is $76, still roughly 9-10%

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Depends on how you use your computer also. If you're the type who travels a lot with it, you might be better off with it. If it's mostly a use-at-home-with-a-display sort of computer, then take your chances and just be careful.

22. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

So you spend $2500 on a laptop and aren't willing to spend the extra to get the warranty...

Also, LOL @ any computer being "future proof"

23. snakelda macrumors 6502