Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

You do you have Reduce Motion toggled on for your iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 223 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 147 39.7%

• Total voters

PaulOBrain

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2013
UK
I turned it on the day I upgraded to iOS 7. But for those who have it off, does it actually drain battery life or is that a bit of a myth?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I turned it on the day I upgraded to iOS 7. But for those who have it off, does it actually drain battery life or is that a bit of a myth?

I don't think it saves battery much turning it off.

Interesting to see the results of this poll. 60/40 split in favor of having it on.

emptysoul

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
I much prefer the animations and the parallax background so keep it off.

I don't see any difference in speed when switching between apps or anything else.

kreach

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
oddly i like both.
so when i am bored with fade, I use parallax, and when bored with parallax, i use fade. by default on fade, as i mostly search apps, instead of navigating, and keeping fade off on Ip5, spotlight is slightly smoother.

:)

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I will admit that I actually like the parallax effect when ios 7 first came out. However, since ios 7.0.3 came out, I prefer it off since it is faster with it off. Plus, I don't even care anymore, just like I dont care to have a case on my 5s anymore.

PaulOBrain

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2013
UK
I don't think it saves battery much turning it off.

Interesting to see the results of this poll. 60/40 split in favor of having it on.

I agree it is interesting. Usually the default setting is the more popular choice.

Daria

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
Northern California
I have Reduce Motion toggled ON. And I have an iPhone 4 and I think I'm not really seeing the fade that y'all are talkin' about. It appears more as a visual click on and click off of the app.

Anyone else here who has a 4 or a 4s? Do you see this 'fade' which is being mentioned?

Anyway, it was odd that the choice for Reduce Motion didn't even show up on my phone until I downloaded the 7.0.3 version. So it's good to have it, as I was one of those who were bothered by the animation. It was bad enough that I had to touch the app and look away at the same time, or close my eyes for a moment.

So I'm grateful for the fix.

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
This poll is hilarious because the only people who are going to care enough to answer it are the ones who have it on.

FarSky

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
I like the parallax effect, but it still feels buggy (the backgrounds don't seem to start the animation at the right place) and sluggish. I also worry about wasting battery life on it.

I like the cross-zoom animation better than the fade in/out, but ultimately, I side with the increased performance of Reduce Motion.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I regrettably have it ON. I prefer parallax and the zoom in/out animations but having reduce motion on makes the phone run smoother. Hopefully they fix this in the next release.

EDIT: Lulz. Right after I post this, I place a call and the phone crashes to the apple logo as the guy answers. I can hear him talking as I stare at the white screen and black apple logo :/

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I have Reduced Motion on and augmented contrast also....

I don't think there is a different speed, just less animations.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I agree it is interesting. Usually the default setting is the more popular choice.

I agree, I do find it very interesting. But as the person below has commented, I really don't think you can use this poll as a real-life representation. Certainly the vast majority of people running 7.0.3 have the setting off (because that is the default choice - but maybe also because they like the animations).

This poll is hilarious because the only people who are going to care enough to answer it are the ones who have it on.

I do find it mildly humerus too, but please don't take offense just because the poll states something that may not be a true representation of the vast population. I would hope that with over 2,200 views on the thread, there are at least some people who have been "told" about this setting that may not previously have known about it - since it does have a significant impact their experience to a certain degree.

Well there are others that disagree with you. I think the main difference (let's define speed by time) would be from unlocking your phone. The animation that occurs with reduce motion off (the tiles falling in place) takes longer than the animation with reduce motion on. I'd put it at maybe a 0.5 second to 0.85 second comparison - but another key point is even if it is not truly faster (I haven't exactly timed it) it feels like you can navigate along your phone sooner with reduce motion on, than with it off, since you do not have to wait as long for the "slower" tiles falling in place animation.

Another difference in "speed" would be when opening and closing apps. I believe the perceived difference is that when opening an app with reduce motion on you see the app much more quickly than with reduce motion off. If you are opening an app you see it almost instantaneously with reduce motion on, whereas with reduce motion off you see the animation until that is done, and then you see the app. I believe it is perceptual - because now that I test it (by swiping as quickly as possible once opening an app) the phone is still unresponsive until a certain time period. After this test it is my conclusion that even with "reduce motion on" you still have to wait the allotted time for what would ordinarily be the "animation" time frame.

So I don't think it's faster, I think it's perception. Either way it still feels a lot faster because you see the app quicker - instead of seeing the animation until it finishes.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
No.

I swear it feels like I'm the only person on earth who loves the parallax effect.

I love it, it just takes so long, feels so slow! When I want to turn on my phone I want it to turn on, not the slow motion-out transition. If they doubled the animation speed I'd be all over it!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have it on. I'm not a fan of the icons zooming in and out. May me feel like my phone is a toy rather then a tool.

I'm happy Apple added this switch.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Hey everyone. I don't really prefer to have the parallax feature on in iOS7 so I decided to test out the Reduce Motion option under accessibility in the general settings section. I noticed immediately that this also gets rid of the unlock animation, and also changes the zooming in and out of apps when being opening and closed - replacing them with a subtle fading animation instead.

At first I found this to be a blessing - because the unlock animation was cool the first few times but was really starting to become one of those things that irks me as I want to swipe to the next page but always have to wait longer because I'm forced to let the animation finish. Also, the zooming in and out of apps is something I enjoy visually, but (and this is the only thing that does this) it gives me a very slight nauseous feeling when it happens - kinda just like adding one more tick of stress to my mind (but in this case body) if you know what I mean.

I actually prefer the fading animation a little because it's quicker, and the unlock animation (also fading) is sooo much quicker when using Touch ID if you have Reduce Motion toggled on. I've been using it for a few days and all in all I think it is a better experience for me with it toggled on. I only have a slight feeling in the back of my head that I kind of miss the in and out of app zooming animation, so I just wanted to get an idea of how many people have this toggled on and off in general.

Sorry for botching the grammar in the poll

Thanks for reading :apple:

darn it...I voted incorrectly. I like the motion on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.