Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the notch!

• Yes, I think it is an aesthetically beautiful solition

Votes: 98 50.3%
  • Nope, it is weird and bad looking

Votes: 97 49.7%

• Total voters

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
And lets understand, Apple didn't add the notch for logical and sound design reasons.
out of curiosity, how would you logically minimize the amount of space required by all of this stuff:

true-depth-apple.jpg

that's a lot of necessary things being crammed into a relatively tiny space.. without seeming crammed.

how would you do it better?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
That and face ID. Not working for her very well. I haven't heard her curse a phone so much.

That would really worry me about my
Parents getting the X

FaceID mostly
Works but the times it doesn’t and the regression from TiuchID at times with accuracy would drive my folks nuts. I just know it

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
It would have been so much better if they just made the top screen black to blend in with the notch like the previous 3rd party mockups ... I just don’t get the notch. I mean I guess I understand they did it to stand out but it would have been cool to have it black and have the clock and notifications etc in there.
I dont like that look. I didnt like it when Samsung did that look and I wouldnt like it if Apple did that look.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not a fan of the notch, though most of the time, it fades into the background so to speak. Other times however its quite noticeable. I expect with the more I use it, the less I'll notice it.

Reactions: predation

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
All the people so bothered about the notch can just jailbreak their X’s and have the ‘software’ bezel that they so desire. Also people moaning about the notch ‘breaking design principles’ need to get a grip. If designers always followed rigid rules then we would eventually just end up with everything looking exactly the same without any variations.
In Apples App development guide they even state that you should know the rules (of UX) so well that you know when to break the rules or when the rules don’t necessarily apply.

Reactions: Ryan1524

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
out of curiosity, how would you logically minimize the amount of space required by all of this stuff:

View attachment 725305

that's a lot of necessary things being crammed into a relatively tiny space.. without seeming crammed.

how would you do it better?

make the iPhone 3/16" taller. Sometimes some bezel is better than.....a notch.

Reactions: PJ.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
I don't like, nor dislike, it. It serves its purpose, and it doesn't bother me. So I'm fine with it.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

baldgye3000

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2017
I'm not a fan of the notch, though most of the time, it fades into the background so to speak. Other times however its quite noticeable. I expect with the more I use it, the less I'll notice it.
I've been thinking about this and I think the notch is a good thing, in general, although Apple hasn't done the best job with it.

In portrait mode, that extra bit of screen at the top means that more of what your doing, fills the screen. If the notch was just part of the bezel and it was flat at the top, it would be like any other iPhone with intrusive bars hanging over the top of stuff (like when your screen recording). Now that can be a small little button over the time and your actual usable screen isn't intruded upon. It's also nice because now the little back to last app button (which doesn't need to exist on the X but I digress) doesn't obscure any information, it just sits under the time.
I think the iPhone X's design and the notch being a part of that, has forced Apple to make iOS better, so for that its good.

The problem, is with landscape. In landscape it's just intrusive and offers no functionality what so ever. For me Apple need to work on giving that little space either some function, like making it the only 'clickable' space on the screen for controls (as there is so little bezel to hold onto the phone this could stop you accidental bringing up the video controls every-time you slightly shift your hand).

I don't think I want to not notice it, I want to know it's there and that its making the phone better to use, and I think it is, just not all the time

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My wife said: "Nice, I love the screen, wow, those pictures are fantastic, how do I ... oh yeah, swipe up or over, that's easy!"

Pretty much loved it, I'm sure this X will pass over to her next year :)

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
make the iPhone 3/16" taller. Sometimes some bezel is better than.....a notch.
why make it taller? seems sort of arbitrary.. why not just un-notch the current bezel on the X? (fill in the ears)

regardless of the height, then what? should the display corners still be rounded up top or should the bezel go all the way across and have a display with 90º corners?

does the bottom stay the same?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
why make it taller? seems sort of arbitrary.. why not just un-notch the current bezel on the X? (fill in the ears)

regardless of the height, then what? should the display corners still be rounded up top or should the bezel go all the way across and have a display with 90º corners?

does the bottom stay the same?

I'll be honest , I have not thought about it much, as it will change the situation. The only control I have is going back to my iPhone 7 plus, larger screen and notch free.

I tried , but after two days cannot get used it

Reactions: flat five

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Its not better than a notch though. Its dead space. Get a galaxy device if the unsightly bezel is what you want.

That's your opinion, My opinion is that the Notch is worse, dead space in your screen....

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I "like" it because it solves the authentication problem, while also keeping symmetrical corners in the design, and removing the status bar from taking up actual usable screen space.

In the future when there is no notch, the only advantage will be for landscape video. In portrait you will still have the same status bar height taking up the corner radius, so no screen real estate is gained in that case.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I "like" it because it solves the authentication problem, while also keeping symmetrical corners in the design, and removing the status bar from taking up actual usable screen space.

In the future when there is no notch, the only advantage will be for landscape video. In portrait you will still have the same status bar height taking up the corner radius, so no screen real estate is gained in that case.
That was my point. It puts status icons into already unused space.

abhishek8378

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
I’ve used the phone for a few days now and let me tell you I actually like the notch. Obviously I wouldn’t mind it not being there but I feel with this design I see videos in full screen and it looks like the video is trying to make its way around the notch and it’s pretty cool. Like it’s kind of IMMERSIVE. But obviously if it wasn’t there it would be better but I feel if it was that bad as what people say it is then appple’s design team who I’m sure work their butts off to get the perfect design wouldn’t just push this in our face. Even the apps that have been upgraded look more like iPhone X apps than just regular apps. Just my opinion :)
[doublepost=1510154182][/doublepost]

Good points!

montanaco

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2016
Definitely don't mind it. And I know I'll get flamed for this, but I might even go as far as to say I kind of like it lol. It gives the phone a distinct look, houses a camera that continually blows me away, and a lot of the time sort of disappears depending on what you're doing.

Trojita

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
All the people so bothered about the notch can just jailbreak their X’s and have the ‘software’ bezel that they so desire. Also people moaning about the notch ‘breaking design principles’ need to get a grip. If designers always followed rigid rules then we would eventually just end up with everything looking exactly the same without any variations.
Jailbreak?

How? You do know prospects right now for that are dim right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.