Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Nit-picking and my OCD, but if Apple would shave off a mm or two on those bezels, it would look much more premium.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
It is Apple's bulkiest phone but for me at least, that makes it more appealing, especially if I can get extra battery life.

Reactions: MacLappy

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
In retrospect, I would not redo/undo my purchase of the max. I got used to 3dt and wanted a phone with the dual lens. Considering how much I use my phone the $250 increment comes out to pennies a day. I cut down on one cup of coffee a day.
I’ve never had buyers remorse on a phone either and wanted the same things as you in terms of 3DTouch and a dual camera. However, I went the other way and bought the 8+ without any sacrifices to my daily luxuries. It’s a great phone and I’m enjoying the larger screen but don’t feel like I’ve missed out not having OLED, some stainless steel and an additional £450, which is what the cost difference is here.

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
It doesn't seem as popular as Apple might have hoped.

For me it seems like it will fall by the wayside like the 5C did - a novelty, multi-color edition.

I'd be very surprised if Apple upgraded it in 2019.

Overall I think Apple are probably unclear themselves on what the best way forward is...they risk outpricing a lot of consumers, and their now cheapest model will be several years out of date.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I’ve never had buyers remorse on a phone either and wanted the same things as you in terms of 3DTouch and a dual camera. However, I went the other way and bought the 8+ without any sacrifices to my daily luxuries. It’s a great phone and I’m enjoying the larger screen but don’t feel like I’ve missed out not having OLED, some stainless steel and an additional £450, which is what the cost difference is here.

That’s the key thing, my 128GB XR cost £800, that’s £350 cheaper then the 256GB XS, but as I wanted that zoomed screen feature then I’d have to buy the silly sized Max which for 256GB is £449 more expensive!
That’s a hell of a lot of cash for not a lot more phone.. sorry but the XR is selling well I think and the other model selling well is the X, both due to offering more or less the same experience as the XS for significantly less money!

Even if I was able to buy any iPhone I want, I’d still buy an XR because it has high specs and offers that zoomed screen mode, the XS doesn’t and the Max is too big.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I didn’t really care about oled, but IMO, apple needed to be able to justify the uptick over the lower models.

rjedoaks

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I would have no doubt bought the XR over the XS had it not been for the size difference. I do appreciate the dual camera though. The oledscreen is nice but not that big of deal with me. Who knows what apple will do.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It doesn't seem as popular as Apple might have hoped.

Based on what though? I mean are you saying this because Apple is offering trade-in’s or because you don’t see the XR in ‘Public’ or Apple hasn’t really commented on the XR since it’s release? The reason I ask, is because I see people say this, that iPhone XR ‘Doesn’t seem popular’, but what is everybody basing this on? That’s what people were saying about the Apple Watch when it first launched in 2015, that it ‘Didn’t seem very popular’ and it would ‘Flop’ or ‘Go to the wayside’, etc.

Now, when I was in my carrier about a week before Black Friday, I talk to the store manager during my visit, and he said the XR was easily the best selling phone in their store at the time, even over the XS. It’s not necessarily that the EXR is the best phone that apples ever made, it’s that consumers are not willing to spend $250 for something they don’t fully understand what they’re really purchasing with the XS when they see the _same_ thing with the XR.

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
In retrospect, I would not redo/undo my purchase of the max. I got used to 3dt and wanted a phone with the dual lens. Considering how much I use my phone the $250 increment comes out to pennies a day. I cut down on one cup of coffee a day.
Tim cook , are you there ? I know the thing we use the most are our phones but 1250 euros for a phone is ridiculous :/

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Tim cook , are you there ? I know the thing we use the most are our phones but 1250 euros for a phone is ridiculous :/
It is but if you want top of the range models with high cap model then that’s what you have to pay if you want IOS

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Here's something to ponder. The new XR has the same pixel density of the iPhone 4, that was released in 2010. So, almost 9 years later you're paying 750+ tax for a phone that cannot do HD playback... Just something to think about.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Here's something to ponder. The new XR has the same pixel density of the iPhone 4, that was released in 2010. So, almost 9 years later you're paying 750+ tax for a phone that cannot do HD playback... Just something to think about.
Or, and hear me out on this, it’s completely irrelevant and you won’t notice the pixel density disparity when using the phone in real life.

And and as a side effect of this “non-HD” display, battery life (something most folks crave more of) is ridiculously good and better than the more expensive models.

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Or, and hear me out on this, it’s completely irrelevant and you won’t notice the pixel density disparity when using the phone in real life.

And and as a side effect of this “non-HD” display, battery life (something most folks crave more of) is ridiculously good and better than the more expensive models.

I dunno man... The more I read up on it, the more it looks like Apple pulled a Frankenstein on the XR. Cheap non-HD LCD, aluminum bezel instead of steel. One less GB of RAM. It's like they used last years materials and put an a12 in it. I'm not saying it's a bad phone, but I'm just not sure it's a good deal at 750, other than staying in the Apple ecosystem.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I dunno man... The more I read up on it, the more it looks like Apple pulled a Frankenstein on the XR. Cheap non-HD LCD, aluminum bezel instead of steel. One less GB of RAM. It's like they used last years materials and put an a12 in it. I'm not saying it's a bad phone, but I'm just not sure it's a good deal at 750, other than staying in the Apple ecosystem.
I prefer to make my own informed decision by actually using it in hand. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
Nah you could spot that phone out easily.... Bezel all around stands out...

Don’t think I could disagree more... it is not too noticeable when looking at my brother’s or friend’s Xr in comparison to my X. Of course I thought all the hubbub about it having massive bezels in comparison was incredibly stupid once I saw them in person at release. They are larger, but it isn’t really that much different.

Do you really think that it’s not as “advanced” as the 7-8+ were at release? I’d say it’s definitely got the raw materials to be in their price range, and Face ID which they didn’t have. Whether it’s a good deal, maybe not, but I don’t think it’s an unfair one in my estimation.

agente46

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014

Lol, I did think about it. I researched all the reviews from websites and YouTube and guess what? They all have glowing reviews for the Xr and consider it one of the best iPhones ever made or at least released this year.

Do yourself a favor and do research on your own before you make any judgement

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I wonder if the "Xr sales are disappointing" notion will go away when Apple posts huge numbers for the just-ended Christmas Quarter? Two pieces of information dropped in the last week. The CIRP data (albeit a small sample size) indicates that the Xr is the best selling iPhone model in the US (also shows that the Max is selling at a higher clip than the Xs).

The second piece shows that the post-Christmas activation of the Xr/Xs/Max has greatly exceeded the rates of the previous 3 years, by a lot.

https://www.ped30.com/2019/01/01/localytics-iphone-xr-ipad-apple/

lift-in-christmas-iphones.png

Or will the notion of the Xr suffer the same fate as the 5c? You all remember that phone, right? It's generally regarded as a flop, yet it was consistently the 3rd best selling phone (behind the iPhone 5s and whichever Galaxy was the top-end).

So when (my prediction) the Xr is the top selling iPhone model and when Apple announces another record quarter for iPhone sales, will the Xr still be considered a flop?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I agree, it's not a good deal at $750 (64gb) starting price. It's only a good deal in comparison to the high starting price of the XS.

It's does have a very good display. But the resolution is something to be desired, which is night and day noticeable when viewing pictures and video vs the X or XS.

Reactions: darksithpro

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I think an actual night and day difference would be something like going from a 3G to a XS. This is more like 10am vs high noon.

Not if you're used to the sharpness on higher resolutions screen. Also, for those used to an OLED display and having crisp colors and deep blacks. And one last thing, HDR on the XR sucks. It looks too soft and colors tend to blown out details.

Reactions: darksithpro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.