iPhone XR Do you think Apple will kill the iPhone xr or refresh it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chad.petree, Dec 28, 2018.

1. purged, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019

purged Suspended

2. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

Having both an xs max and xr, the difference is minimal on the screen quality. You can’t tell the pixels unless you have it close to the eye like 8 inches. And of course my iPad Pro 2018 has lower ppi than the xr and I’m not complaining about the iPads resolution compared to the my max. What I do notice is the xr is more comfortable to hold in the hand, the battery life is way better. Those are apparent to me; the screen resolution isn’t apparent.

3. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Doesn’t matter how you spin it, the “night and day” metaphor is absolute hyperbole when talking about these models.

4. grandIOSe macrumors member

Coming from a 7 to the Xr, I have no complaints, especially at this price point, same as my 7 when bought new.

I love the screen size, the A12 chip, and the camera is excellent. I don’t have any complaints about the screen for what it is.

Truthfully it’s a hell of a phone. I will keep it for 2 years before refreshing to the latest and greatest, and then it will be my goto back up phone.

Oh, and yes, I think the Xr will stick around for a couple of years at least. It’s a great phone.

5. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

RESOLUTIONS:
    iPhone XS=2436 x 1125

iPhone XR=1792x828

That's like going from a 720p display to a 1440p display. I would consider that "night and day difference".

6. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Trust your eyes, not a spec sheet.

7. purged, Jan 1, 2019

purged Suspended

8. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502a

+1 Love the blue colour as well. Your point about the 326ppi is spot on (IMO). I mean, the new 11 inch iPad Pro has a PPI of 264. 326 PPI on a 6.1 inch phone is good enough for most I’d say.

9. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

The XS has a rating of 2.7 million pixels, vs the XR of 1.4 million. That's almost double the pixels.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/apple-unveils-new-iphone-xs-iphone-xs-max-1202938120/

The iPhone Xs looks very similar to last year’s iPhone X, and features a 5.8-inch edge-to-edge OLED screen with a resolution of 2436 by 1125 pixels. The display consists of a total of 2.7 million pixels, features a pixel density of 458 pixels per inch

https://www.wired.com/story/apple-iphone-xr/

Where the Xs and Xs Max have glossy OLED displays, the Xr sticks with LCD. Apple calls the display tech "Liquid Retina," with 326 pixels per inch—1.4 million pixels in all. That lags the more densely packed iPhone Xs and Xs Max

2.7-1.4=1.3

10. tt061282 macrumors regular

tt061282

This phone accounted for 32% of all iPhone sales in the month of November ... Hmm... Pretty sure a refresh is coming.

Profit margins are better on a LCD model...

Your lineup with be 2 OLED models and a 6.1" LCD model for a few years...

iPhone Xr S here we come LOL

11. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

a 1440p screen has 3.7 mil pixels. A 720p screen has 921,000 pixels. That's a 300% difference. Your comparison was a gross exaggeration any way you slice it.

12. purged, Jan 1, 2019

purged Suspended

13. tt061282 macrumors regular

tt061282

I understand all of this display tech, but let me be honest for one minute. I have gone from an iPhone X to an iPhone XS Max to an iPhone Xʀ. Like real life here. That's what matters first and foremost too me. More than any spec sheet of what's "supposed" to be or not to be.

I bought the Xʀ on launch day while I was still using the Max. My intentions were to use the Xʀ for the 14 days and most likely return it. I’ve been using a X and XS Max for the past year so this “peasant” display on the Xʀ couldn’t be good enough for me? Right? Truthfully it’s the furthest thing from the truth. The display on the Xʀ is VERY GOOD. Yes it’s 828p and yes it’s “ONLY” 326ppi, but when I have the 2 phones on video next to each other the differences are negligible. Yes the blacks are deeper on the Max of course, but you know I truly don’t care. Every single day since October 26th the Xʀ has been my daily driver and I’m 99.9% sure it will be until the new iPhones are released this year.

Money isn’t the issue as I have the X and XS Max staring at me right now. I’m probably just gonna dump them both on Swappa or Marketplace sometime this week. The 6.1” display is truly my perfect size. The Max is a freaking great device. Yes, it is the BEST iPhone released this year, but the Xʀ truly gives me 95% of the same package at approximately 68% of the price. What’s not to like? The battery life trumps that of any other iPhone EVER released with the XS and XS Max included. It’s impossible to kill the battery in one day. So yeah the display is a little worse, but in my usage battery life truthfully trumps everything.

The iPhone Xʀ is 95% of the total package, but has 110% better battery life. That’s why I’ve stayed with my Xʀ and plan to for the long haul.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2019 ---
    Someone who truly understands!

14. agente46 macrumors regular

All this means nothing until you see with your own eyes. My wife owns a XS and I have the XR. From my real life experience, I can barely tell the difference and only if I try really really hard.

So stop looking at numbers on paper and start looking at the actual screen.

15. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you're right. One of the problems with being a techie is just looking at the overall numbers to determine which one is better. Perhaps actually going to the store and seeing for myself + looking at the numbers would form a different opinion, thanks man.

16. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Who can say?

The colors are nice, but my eyes preferred the text on an 8+, and I do not need all the bells and whistles on the 8+, much less any X phone.

I don’t care what anyone else uses or how they sell.

17. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

Seriously agreed. You can make it a ga-gillion pixels but our eyes can only tell so much pixels where we can’t tell. Shoot I am in my 30s and have the xr, max, 2018 iPad Pro. I really can’t tell which is better other than the true blacks of the max, otherwise theyre just about equal. I’d rather have a comfortable phone with great battery life to be honest.

18. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Having tested the XR and XS Max side by side I’d say in my humble opinion the difference is not immediately obvious unless you look for subtle differences. Both screens appear similar in use to me despite what the spec sheet says. Apple should have put the same screen as the 8+ in the XR though to save all this doubt.

19. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

What counts as a pixel?

OLED pixel = 2 subpixels
    LCD pixel = 3 subpixels

XS = 5,481,000 subpixels
    XR = 4,451,328 subpixels

The XR has >80% of the subpixel count compared to the XS. This is why most people can't see any difference in sharpness between XS and XR.

Apple is currently facing a lawsuit because of this misleading advertising. It's nowhere near double the pixels.

20. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

Which says absolutely nothing about the popularity of the phone.

21. tedstoutpa59 macrumors newbie

tedstoutpa59

Please! NO C! Reminds me of the 5c!

22. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I think they have to refresh it because they need a cheaper iPhone.

23. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Is that what the lawsuit is about? Subpixels?

I thought the lawsuit was about the following.

1. Apple hiding the notch in their advertising by using black wallpaper
    2. Apple listing the resolution of the screens (on the X series phones) by using #### x ####. (which fails to take into account the pixels lost due to the notch and the rounded corners)

Was there really an argument made about OLED subpixels? Sheesh, the lawyers are really scrubbing the bottom of the barrel on that one.

24. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Read the legal complaint.

25. Tmacc47 macrumors newbie

I work as a grocery store cashier and I see quite a few actually. Some of my coworkers have them. They're only 50 dollars more than the original price of the iPhone 8. I don't like the no home button design yet so I won't be buying one, but I'd buy it way before I would the XS or Max.