Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
[doublepost=1469651105][/doublepost]

I don't want to stray away to far from the original post, but you are in the wrong respectfully. First, he was not being defensive and no need to imply he was, your comments would draw the necessary retort he stated to you from anyone.

Second, its clear you have double standards as a person with tattoo's. Literally, re-read what you wrote the first time, its a complete oxy-moron. Because you see a man heavily tattooed creates a risk analysis? Do you have any idea how many Police Officers I work with on and off duty that are heavily tattooed all over? Including female's!!!! A third of MY Police Department has sworn Officer's who we hire with Tattoo's and we do not require them to be covered or are we impartial to hiring the men and women of law enforcement, assuming they are not offensive. It's because of this you feel the need to create an analysis of a person, self impose a trajectory of who they are due to tattoo's and walk on the opposite side the street from, while looking for the panic button on your key fob to quickly walk to your car. I believe its very evident you appear to be the type of individual who watches way to much television and sits in the corner reading her book at the coffee or wine shop, am I wrong here?

In all respect, you trapped yourself in your own words, which ultimately proves nothing to the gentleman who was seeking a mere question, which indeed you attempted to answer, but self imposed judgement rather than contributing to the fact of what he was seeking. Oh, and I do not have a tattoo, as I am not defending myself.

Respectfully, There is no need to reply my post, as I am simply not interested in your response stated my piece and moving on.

Well, firstly, I am not from the US.

And yes, I have worked with military and police, and yes, I am aware that some of them were tattooed. Others, who are neither police nor military, also sport tattoos, and some of these live in a world that I do not much care for, and their tattoos advertise that fact.

The OP asked for opinions, and it is his body to do with as he wishes. He is quite right to state that the IT world is probably less concerned and judgmental about such things than are most other professional environments.

Many on this thread have stated that tattoos are 'not their thing'. My point is that they are polarising, and those who dislike them, tend to dislike them intensely.

Re my comment on 'risk analysis', you will find that most women run them on most individuals whom they meet for the first time. It is part of the background noise of a woman's life.
[doublepost=1469652629][/doublepost]
Surely being respectful includes considering whatever response you might be given by the party you're decided to criticize?

On these threads when someone asks for an opinion, in my experience, much of the time, they tend to wish for to hear an ardent confirmation of (rather than any criticism of) a course of action that they have already decided upon.

Reactions: Jayderek

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Surely being respectful includes considering whatever response you might be given by the party you're decided to criticize?

Wrong. I was not criticizing anyone, simply setting the record straight. And bickering is a form of Violating the rules and terms and conditions of the forum. And I respectfully, again respectfully, declined to receive a comment. Any other questions?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, as I have said, it is the OP's choice to make, not anyone else's. He asked for advice, opinions - and thoughts - on a thread that he has started, and some here have responded with thoughts, and suggestions.

Besides, in common with @mobilehaathi, were I ever to contemplate any sort of small (discreet) tattoo, it would not take the form of words. An image strikes me as a somewhat better choice than quotes attributed to Mr Jobs.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Each to their own.
image.jpeg

I wonder if this person still thinks it is a relevant tattoo?
Certinly a conversation starter!
[doublepost=1469654101][/doublepost]
Well, as I have said, it is the OP's choice to make, not anyone else's. He asked for advice, opinions - and thoughts - on a thread that he has started, and some here have responded with thoughts, and suggestions.

Besides, in common with @mobilehaathi, were I ever to contemplate any sort of small (discreet) tattoo, it would not take the form of words. An image strikes me as a somewhat better choice than quotes attributed to Mr Jobs.
One of these maybe?
image.jpeg

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Some of the quotes I'm considering are the usual suspects: "The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do"
Any opinions, questions or stories of your own tattoos or those of people you know are more than welcome; nothing is off limits.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/onmarke...apples-think-different-campaign/#5e4398d55c22

Personally I don't think I'd get a tattoo. If I ever do, it'll be something meaningful about someone I loved, not from the CEO of a tech company.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Each to their own.
View attachment 642118

I wonder if this person still thinks it is a relevant tattoo?
Certinly a conversation starter!
[doublepost=1469654101][/doublepost]
One of these maybe?
View attachment 642119

Bravo. Thanks for that - I am actually laughing reading it.

Now, while I like my coffee (is the beverage depicted in that cup tea or coffee?), I can't see myself every taking it to that extreme.

And as for the Apple designation.........well, each to their own. But not for me.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
It's not that I'm afraid of people liking it or not, I couldn't care less about that. But Steve was loved by many and hated by others. I mean I don't think it would be like getting a Hitler quote tattooed on me or something, but... I don't know. A good friend of mine has a Carl Sagan quote on her forearm and it's beautiful. I would like to put mine maybe on my upper arm or shoulder blade.

Some of the quotes I'm considering are the usual suspects: "Stay hungry, stay foolish", "The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do", and quite possibly my favorite, "Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice."

Any opinions, questions or stories of your own tattoos or those of people you know are more than welcome; nothing is off limits.
"Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice."

I feel that it is your body and you should be free to do with it as you please.. kinda like that quote, eh? ;)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Wrong. I was not criticizing anyone, simply setting the record straight. And bickering is a form of Violating the rules and terms and conditions of the forum. And I respectfully, again respectfully, declined to receive a comment. Any other questions?
Oh, I see, you're going to engage in unilateral criticism under the guise of 'setting the record straight.' Your copious use of the word 'respectfully' actually comes across as remarkably snide.

Oh well, no use talking to a wall.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Oh, I see, you're going to engage in unilateral criticism under the guise of 'setting the record straight.' Your copious use of the word 'respectfully' actually comes across as remarkably snide.

At least those with thin skin, right? I was actually thinking 'Snarky' versus snide, try harder next time. Engaging in an argument with you is exactly what your seeking. Fortunately, technology has permitted me with the privilege of a 'Block' button. Have a splendid evening!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Walls are good; well built walls can sometimes be an expression of the engineer's art. After all, the Romans built some wonderful ones (cue, what did the Romans.....).

Now, granted, some of the modern incarnations of walls - in thought, and in execution and, indeed, in deed, have left a good lot to be desired.

But - are walls better - and more informed - conversationalists than hot air balloons?

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I admire your choice of Steve Jobs quotes.

I don't care for tattoos on anyone, I'm afraid. I find them deeply unattractive on both men and women. Contrary to what you might think, that a tattoo is a mark of individuality, it is actually a sub-summation of your individuality, and a sign that you belong to a pack of people who have tattoos. You may be fine with that, but it will permanently create a sense of alienation with those who don't. I have met lots of pleasant people with tattoos, but it is impossible to get past the mark to find the person.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I've got ink in a couple of places (each forearm) but I didn't start doing it until I was over 60. I've got a couple more in mind for when I get around to it. They are all very simple one-color designs.

In these tattoo discussions I rarely or never read any discussion about where in the world (or the US) the person lives. I'm sure it's true that in some places and some contexts being inked is going to hurt one's job prospects. But definitely not everywhere. Where I live (Hawai'i) being inked is considered quite normal and no one's going to miss out on a job because of tattoos. For example, I'd guess that 75% of the staff at my HMO are inked and there's a lot of ink showing at my bank, too.

The OP did ask about phrases. I see them here -- often religious -- and I don't admire them. Not because of the content, but because of the way they look. I see a lot of fancy fonts and ornate lettering and to my eye, that doesn't work. I don't think that something you have inked on your skin should require an effort to read -- should need to be read, literally, at all. I much prefer tattoos as designs.

All I'm suggesting, OP, is that you ask yourself whether you want people looking at your tattoo to say "cool design," or "what does that say? And why?"

Depending on your age, there's also the issue of a phrase that over time might lose its meaning for you -- what then? George Carlin had a funny bit about what to do if you're in love with Mary and have "Mary" inked on you -- but then you and Mary break up. Easy, he said, go back to the parlor and add the F-word just above "Mary."

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
It's not that I'm afraid of people liking it or not, I couldn't care less about that. But Steve was loved by many and hated by others. I mean I don't think it would be like getting a Hitler quote tattooed on me or something, but... I don't know. A good friend of mine has a Carl Sagan quote on her forearm and it's beautiful. I would like to put mine maybe on my upper arm or shoulder blade.

Some of the quotes I'm considering are the usual suspects: "Stay hungry, stay foolish", "The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do", and quite possibly my favorite, "Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice."

Quotes are ok as long as you don't put his face or name on there. That would be tacky, lame and all other things.

Reactions: brinary001

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Where would it go? Forehead, lower back just above the buttock, bicep? ;) I'll concur with another post about regret, old tattoos look old too. :) In the Phillipines, decades ago, I saw a grizzled old retired sailor covered in tattoos and was immediately convinced no tattoos for me. Of course that was in the days were the only way to to get rid of them was sandpaper. Improvements in technology have been made since then. :)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
... but I have a friend who killed himself earlier this summer and wrote a beautiful passage a couple months beforehand about finding peace and happiness. Sadly, he couldn't follow his own words, so I've thought about taking an excerpt from it to use as a way of picking up his torch and continuing the battle for him...

Okay, I hadn't read that bit earlier.

I think that's a lovely idea. Something to commemorate a close friend or family member I can understand.

If it was someone you knew personally it's a quite different matter from a "celeb CEO".

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I will prefice this by saying I don't like tattoos in the slightest and therefore I am opinionated.

I think getting a quote from a business icon shows a bit too much fanboyism. Also, while Steve Jobs is now remembered as a visionary (and I assume always will be), what if Apple tanks? Will societies opinion of Steve become distorted. Like in 2007 BlackBerry was cool, now they're a joke. Or AOL. Just a thought.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
"Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice."

Is it not a tad ironic or strange that you ask us this question (random strangers) given the quote you are considering having tattooed ?

________

However whatever you do please choose wisely, if you are a male having something like the notorius "you're holding it wrong" line tattooed on a certain area of the body, it could cause quite a few blushes ;)

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My take on this, is rather personal.

I've contemplated getting a (or some) tattoo, and at some point I may very well take the plunge.
What I would generally avoid doing:
Corporate logos, while the apple logo is iconic, no question, how I feel about Apple today is different then I did in 1999, or 1984. Likewise, you see some folks with the Monster energy drink tat. I'm not sure about that.

As a subset of that thought, would be a tattoo of Jobs, he was only a human being, but so many people have deified him, I just don't see the worth of getting him tattooed on my body. I think tattoos are deeply personal and this brings me to another point.

I want to avoid the fads, this includes the tribal stuff which has not aged very well, or the YOLO, or any other tat that seems to strike the nerve of society.

What I do want, is something that is personal, means something to me and allows that meaning to be expressed on my skin. I'm not trying to sound melodramatic or overly deep/serious but given how tattoos are fairly permenant I want to think long and hard before getting inked.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Quotes as tattoos always strike me as being a little... lame.

The amount of people who you see with quotes like: "if you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best" inked on; as if they're bitterly unique and oh such a special flower; but in reality it just comes across as pseudo-philosophical nonsense and makes them look even stupider.

Urgh, I've been trying to phrase this gently and I'm just failing miserably. Maybe somebody who understands what I'm trying to say could be a little more articulate. Hope you don't mind the nomination, @Scepticalscribe! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.