Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpsmithdesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
UK
So to say that this year has been bad/good for leaks (depending on your opinion) would be a massive understatement. Prior to the release of the iPhone 4, a unit was leaked out showcasing an almost final build of the device. Steve Jobs jokingly addressed this in the event, stating "Stop me if you've seen this".

This year we have had multiple software leaks, cases, renders, hardware mockups etc. Do you think this will be addressed at the event tomorrow?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
No, they may drop little funny hints like they have in the past by saying things like "Stop me if you've seen this before" but they are unlikely to stand on stage and take time to talk about the leaks when they have products to announce, it may go over 2 hours as it is.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
So to say that this year has been bad/good for leaks (depending on your opinion) would be a massive understatement. Prior to the release of the iPhone 4, a unit was leaked out showcasing an almost final build of the device. Steve Jobs jokingly addressed this in the event, stating "Stop me if you've seen this".

This year we have had multiple software leaks, cases, renders, hardware mockups etc. Do you think this will be addressed at the event tomorrow?

I think it was a Steve Jobs thing to make this kind of jokes on stage.
I could see Federighi do something similar but he doesn't talk about new hardware products.
I don't think Tim Cook will say anything about leaks, maybe Phil Schiller would talk about how great the new iPhone is, saying something like "you may have seen something in the past weeks, but you have to use this phone to find out how great it is". It may said that while talking about FaceID and how their technology is far better than the competition.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Apple would never intentionally leak anything as serious as the homepod or iOS11 GM. They know that they cannot keep supply chains completely secure or quiet but beyond that, nothing comes from apple themselves.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
maybe they'll start to encrypt more things in the software again...

or they will wait with giving the GM to providers and such until after the event from now on..

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No most of these came from Apple themselves

Even if the leaks did come from Apple themselves, they were inadverent and accidental. No way would Apple would allow these types of major leaks days before when the largest iPhone events in years. Once these leaks became known, the developers ripped it apart and exposed them. I can tell you as secretive and confidential as Apple is, they did not intend for any of this to happen.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Even if the leaks did come from Apple themselves, they were inadverent and accidental. No way would Apple would allow these types of major leaks days before when the largest iPhone events in years. Once these leaks became known, the developers ripped it apart and exposed them. I can tell you as secretive and confidential as Apple is, they did not intend for any of this to happen.

Why not? Does it actually do them any harm? And look how much attention and excitement it's generated.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why not? Does it actually do them any harm? And look how much attention and excitement it's generated.

It has nothing to do with harm. It's the fact that this company and the CEO has even stated that they attempted to tie down leaking information to the public. And that usually starts with supply chain. Rather the leaks gathered excitement or not, that's not the true intentions of what Apple Wanted to do by having some of the most monumental leaks days and if not hours before the keynote . Think About that for a minute JoeBlow. Do you really think Apple intentionally (Or desperately) tried to spoil their own surprise? Let's not have any false modesty.

These leaks did in fact come from Apple, which we know due to the amount of content that's been exposed from the developers. But the developers are the ones that located the content, rather that be in advertent or intentional, that's left up for speculation, which has been talked about for years with Apple.

I found this interesting to read:

"Apple's secrecy surrounding its product line is legendary. Apple's ability to keep products secret has been hampered in recent years by Apple's reliance on Foxconn and other 3rd party manufacturers."

Last edited:
Reactions: Shark5150

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I think it was a Steve Jobs thing to make this kind of jokes on stage.
I could see Federighi do something similar but he doesn't talk about new hardware products.
I don't think Tim Cook will say anything about leaks, maybe Phil Schiller would talk about how great the new iPhone is, saying something like "you may have seen something in the past weeks, but you have to use this phone to find out how great it is". It may said that while talking about FaceID and how their technology is far better than the competition.
Craig will need to come up on stage to show iOS 11 on the iPhone X, people need to know how to use the iPhone without a Home button!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Address the leaks? Ha! They supplied them.

It's all a clever PR game to get everyone use to the idea of a $1000+ iPhone before it's actually made official.
I'm sure the early rumours about the $1000 iPhone came from Apple, as did the rumours about the removal of the headphone socket last year.

I don't think the iOS 11 GM leak would have been sanctioned by Apple though. It's set free way too much detailed information which can only lessen the impact of the launch event tomorrow. I don't think it will do any long term harm though.

Reactions: yep-sure

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't think the iOS 11 GM leak would have been sanctioned by Apple though. It's set free way too much detailed information which can only lessen the impact of the launch event tomorrow. I don't think it will do any long term harm though.

Except most of the stuff in the leak is not really new info, just reconfirms thoughts on what Apple would do. Getting these details out lets Apple focus more on the demos that will set Apple's products apart from others. That is where Apple can WOW people tomorrow, not the spec sheet. Apple has never been about the spec sheet.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
These leaks from apple are clearly from employees who wanted to stick it to apple for whatever reason.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Craig will need to come up on stage to show iOS 11 on the iPhone X, people need to know how to use the iPhone without a Home button!

Sure, but he'll kick in to talk about iOS on the new iPhone after Schiller has talked about hardware stuff, he never introduces new products

Reactions: SoN1NjA and Dave245

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
These leaks from apple are clearly from employees who wanted to stick it to apple for whatever reason.

Sure, right before Apple sticks it to them for breech of contract, not only getting them fired but also cutting off any bonus that might be coming to them and also getting them blackballed in Silicon Valley because no employer wants to hire a snitch.

Reactions: BeeGood and Dave245

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sure, right before Apple sticks it to them for breech of contract, not only getting them fired but also cutting off any bonus that might be coming to them and also getting them blackballed in Silicon Valley because no employer wants to hire a snitch.

They have to find out who leaked it first. Hardly an easy task

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
The only thing leaks do is generate hype for the phone, and most average consumers have no knowledge of them anyway. Apple themselves probably leak things intentionally.
Yeah, Phone X leaks a year ago would've hurt Apple because competitors would've had time to adjust course.

But now? It could just be Apple's pre-game show.
[doublepost=1505133967][/doublepost]
Clearly? How so?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.