Do you turn your iPad off?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Trance, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

i just picked one up today, curious is it advised to turn it off at night or when not in use?

2. Kralledr macrumors member

Why Turn Off ?

I Never Turn it Off if its in sleep Mode the battery will Not Drain :) to quick

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

You should probably reboot it every few days to clear your ram, but there is no need to turn it off.

5. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yes: hold down the power button for a few seconds and a "slide to power off" option will appear.

Anyway, I only reboot when I start running into out of memory errors. (which mostly plagues the first gen iPad)

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I turn off iPad to reduce heat when it is in the sleeve and to prolong life of battery.

8. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Sometimesi have to "reboot" when i top-up the data plan :) other than that nope never

9. rogerbarrett macrumors regular

i suggest you to turn it off after use. Because this will increase your battery timing. This will also clean your RAM. some other kind of changes. :)

10. ansalmo macrumors regular

No, I never turn it off, I never reboot it, why would you? I've left my old iPad 1 sitting in a sleeve in a bag for several weeks and it still had lots of battery life left when I finally came to use it.

Doing that, rather than switching it off, also had the benefit of letting me sync it with new app updates remotely from my iMac without having to pull it out of the bag, switch it on, sync, then switch it back off and put it back away.

11. Coltaine macrumors regular

Coltaine

I can't even remember, when I really switched it off the last time.

When not in use, it's sitting there in sleep mode. I don't see any significant decrease in battery power or life and I never had any heat issues.

It is one of the major points of owning an iPad, in my opinion: always being able to grab it from the table and taking five seconds to be in the internet / email application / PDF reader, whatever.

12. jojoba macrumors 68000

I turn it off maybe once a week to restart the system.

13. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I usually reboot mine once a week. Give the machines a day of rest, you know? :D

14. matttye macrumors 601

I reboot it whenever it gets slow (hardly ever).

15. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

If it's in a sleeve, then it's sleeping and it's not producing heat.

----------

Shutting down and rebooting uses more battery.

16. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

17. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Never did it to my MBP, iPhone, iPod or anything else, wouldn't bother now. There is really no reason to turn it off.

18. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Unlike a PC, I've never seen a reason to turn off or reset an iPad unless you're having problems or won't be using it for a long period of time.

19. EthanMiller macrumors member

There isn't a whole lot of advantage to turning off the iPad. Unless you're not going to use it for a long time, it doesn't save a lot of battery.

There are, however, disadvantages to it.
    • You lose push notifications while it's asleep (if this is desired, it can be muted instead of turning off).
    • You lose instant on. This is a big one for me; I don't know about others. For me it's why I go to iOS over a laptop. From a cold boot, though, iPad is really quite slow.

Those are what comes to mind quickly. Also, cleaning out your ram is bogus. iOS memory management is pretty good.

The only real case for a reboot is if you're having issues with something. Then it's a good first step in troubleshooting.

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

In my own personal experience cleaning out the RAM is anything but bogus. Sure the memory management is good, but it's not perfect. Every once in awhile it gets to the point where apps were repeatedly crash because the system ran out of memory. I don't mean like ever day or even every week. It just occasionally becomes a problem.

21. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

doesn't it kill the battery when the wifi card is on and searching for a signal? i turn it off when i'm on the go and i know i won't be using it

what is the official standby time while in "sleep" mode?

22. Che Castro macrumors 603

23. junkster macrumors regular

Is there evidence to support your theory?

24. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Why would you turn it off? There's no benefit to it. The only time mine goes off is for a software update.

As others have said, the instant on ability of the iPad is one if its greatest strengths to me.

25. EthanMiller macrumors member

That's what I meant when I said the only reason to reboot is if you're having problems.

I've never had any issues with the wifi searching. I turn off wifi if I'm going to go a long time without it, though (like air travel). If I'm just out and about, I don't bother, though. I have a wifi only iPad.

Apple claims 30 days battery in standby. They don't say how far the battery will fall in this amount of time. With my usage, I can get two days out of the device between charges, and have never noticed a drop in the percentage while the device is down. I use it pretty heavily.