Do you use a macbook only because it looks cool and sexy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asifnaz, Dec 24, 2010.

1. asifnaz macrumors member

My girlfriend gifted me a macbook like one month ago . I am really into computers (mostly windows and Linux so far ) but this was my first introduction to Mac world .

I was amazed by the built quality and sheer cutting edge design of Mac OS X snow leopard . Having a Linux background I have more deep insight into OS than a common Mac user . As it comes from Unix family its stable , secure and fast .

But honestly it can't do anything which can not be done using a PC with Win 7 .
    And it is way more expensive .

But when I hold it I feel elite . When I use it in train many people can't help asking "apple .....oh cool " .
    Now I wonder how many people use it for super sexy design and elite look other than usage..?????

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Apple's products are premium products, but that doesn't mean they aren't useful. I used to be a Windows guy and now am an Apple guy. I enjoy their products primarily for the stability of OS/X, ease of use and the "feel" of the OS. It's so smooth and nice. I'm having a hard time finding the correct adjective to describe it other than "I like how it feels."

Movie and music professionals in Hollywood and around the world use Mac's to make the music and feature films we watch and listen to.

So Mac's do more than look sexy and give the elite feeling.

3. crypticlineage macrumors regular

You have years and years of experience with Linux and Windows and you still can't appreciate the quality of osx over windows. This doesn't sound right to me.

Using an Apple just because it looks cool is not only ludicrous but astounding. It is the most stable and usable (by most people, not just geeks) platform available today.

I have used linux for almost a decade now and I still use it on my server, but let's face it, Linux has not yet made important strides in the direction of making it accessible to most users. And windows, yeah well don't even get me started on it.

Also, the money you're paying for is more for OSX than for the hardware.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah... I guess.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I like the minimalistic design of their hardware (I hate stickers and bad design). OS X is easier to use than most OS's and I don't want to spend time tweaking any Linux OS to meet my needs or deal with the performance degradation of and maintenance required for Windows (been there, done that).

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

bet your girlfriend finds you more sexy when you are using the beauty she gifted you :cool:

7. Wattser93 macrumors regular

That's exactly how I feel. OSX just feels natural.

8. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

I really appreciate the quality of Mac OS X because I have knowledge "how an OS works rather than how to use it" .
    My question was " Macs are more expensive and common users are not Hollywood people so they might have pick it because it looks stunning "

9. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

I bet most people approach buying a laptop as they approach buying a car: good looks don't hurt, but it's not the deciding factor (unless you're a chick).

I could have had two Ford Fiestas for the price of one BMW, but the build quality and handling were superior. Whenever I rent a car in another city, it feels like a clattertrap and I'm reminded of what a satisfying decision my BMW was.

A Fiesta does essentially the same thing a BMW does, just as PCs do essentially the same thing Macs do (for far less money). Would I have bought the BMW if it looked like a Matrix? Hell, no--but only because there were comparable alternatives like Audi. Would I have bought a MBP if it looked like a clunky Gateway? Most likely, since the alternatives weren't comparable.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Well everyone's reason for owning a Mac is different. I already stated why I do, and the "it looks cool, sexy and stunning" feeling didn't come until later on after owning it for a while.

For those who do own Mac's for the purpose of looks alone must have plenty of disposable income.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Macs are not more expensive. Apple is not in the market of selling cheap rubbish computers, so you could get the wrong impression. When you compare a MacBook with a comparable PC laptop, it is quite competitive in price, just some people have a serious problem with the "comparable" bit.

12. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

My travel work requires me to use an old Dell XP laptop. I also carry my personal 13" MBA with Win7 via Fusion. On the MBA I run SQL Server, Visual Studio and IE in Unity windows, with Kindle (I'm always reading some reference) and iTunes in OS X. I wish the MBA came with more than 4GB of ram, but this system actually works well. It would just work better with 6 or 8 GB RAM. It's also much easier to carry on the plane and has longer battery life than the old Dell. Best of all even though I'm working in Windows I've still got all the features of the OS X I can't seem to live without (i.e. the new pad, spaces, better screen, etc).

I switched to Mac 3 years ago and don't regret a it one bit.

13. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

That was my point . You are using it for feel which is cool , as for intentionality it is more or less same as PC . Like in your example you can go point A to B using either of the car .

14. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Do you know what the word "conceited" means, by any chance? Or how snobbish that sounds?

15. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

I was not displaying my knowledge . I was just saying that Mac OS is stable, as I have
    experience of working with Unix-like OSes like Linux , BSD , etc , I could have an idea of how OS X might work and how and why it is stable and secure .

I could explain it technically if you like ..

16. mulo, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010

mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

17. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

What a good thread. Too bad it turned into a pissing contest. I'd really like hearing what others do with their macbooks.

18. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple machines are some of the best i've ever used, period. Running Windows or OS X, everything is seamless and fluid. Having bluetooth access at boot/sleep (which some Apple Haters simply can not believe), the design of the machine, the glass trackpad, the optical in/out, screen quality, magsafe, battery life, customer service, etc. Apple machines, imo, are of similar quality to the enterprise grade hardware that i've used in the data center, where everything is tightly controlled and vendors actually work together to design solutions that work (i.e. supported hardware for VMWare ESX).

20. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

Ya I am feeling the same . I started the thread and read all of my posts I didn't say a word comparing Mac OS X with Windows .

I was just curious how many of users are actully aware of the potential of Mac OS(other than stunning looks ) .
    Most of them started flaming me without a clue what I was saying

21. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I have my Macs because their battery life is fantastic, I don't need 6GB of triple channel DDR3 to use MS Office, and when I'm at work and am running admin stuff in VMWare Fusion the guys with the Asus hotplates are looking at me wondering why I love my MacBooks so much, I crack open a game move between workspaces like they've never seen on a laptop :D

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I'm beyond trying to look cool.

I use Macs because they are the most effective platform for me. ROI has been wonderful. I still use Macs that are 10 years old, as well as more current models.

23. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I got my MBP because the OS is about as user intuitive as it could possibly be, while still giving me easy access to deeper Unix tools I love.

When I started using linux, it took a couple weeks to REALLY get a foothold. When I got my Mac, I had it figured inside out inside of the first 3 days.

And yea, Windows can do most things, but some of us just need a Unix based OS to feel at home. That's my excuse anyway.

And yea, I could've gotten by with a white Macbook, but I chose the uMBP. Why? Because there isn't a single other laptop on the market that I think looks more sexy than that.

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That's still a bit of a loaded question (or an easily derailed one). Why does it matter? Apple spends considerable resources on the design aspect of their hardware, so that shouldn't or can't be a primary factor in the buying decisions? And as far as platform, you might be able to do the same things on any win PC, but os x and win are still very different on the surface. Not everyone who buys a mac is computer programmer and has a copy of "Mac OS X Internals: A Systems Approach" on their shelf (which I assume you've read). To then say that they are then trying to look cool is a little bit...ya know....