All iPads Does anybody else think that now the Air is pretty much useless?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FatPuppy, Nov 5, 2013.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Haha :D

I bought my wife a Mini and loved the form factor. I even said that if it came out with Retina I would buy one instead of another full size iPad.

However, after holding the Air I was sold on it.

My reasons for an Air over a Mini:

I do a lot of school work on it, the bigger screen helps when reading and writing papers.

If I need to I can log in to my work PC with the iPad. Again, the bigger screen helps.

I do not have any clothing or jackets with pockets big enough for the Mini. Therefore, I am not really losing any portability with the Air.

2. Will2145 macrumors 6502a

Will2145

Come on now, that's a bit harsh don't ya think ?
    It all comes down to personal preference, nothing "ridiculous" about it.

3. WstCstCmtr macrumors member

Ya.. but that's roughly 16 more inches of area.

A LOT!

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Amen! haha

----------

Ridiculous statement maker calls others ridiculous.... :cool:

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Well they never said they have the same performance, they just stated they both have the A7. The A7 in the Air is only slightly faster than the 5S, but it can sustain full clock speed for longer periods. My guess is the Mini will be somewhere in-between given the smaller case.

The main concern I would have with the retina mini is battery - from iPad 2 -> iPad 3 there was a noticeable dip in battery at the same screen brightness levels (Though they are stated to be the same.) Maybe with just one light bar they are able to control it better, but the original Mini's battery life has been a bit overstated by Apple in my experience (Versus being understated for the Air.)

6. imanidiot Suspended

No.

7. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

But I have an iPad 3 now and the battery rocks 7 hours of usage playing intense graphics games but it is still on 6.1.3 and they've also said that the A7 an the retina consume less than the previous models.

8. gentleman00 macrumors 6502

Just get what you want. It's that simple. And stop posting on these senseless discussion threads.:rolleyes:

9. Steveh2780 macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Simple answer, no because the minis screen is too small unless you are a commuter who needs something smaller to fit in pocket- but why do that when you could have an iphone

10. Deacon-Blues macrumors 6502a

Deacon-Blues

I am personally surprised at the popularity of the Mini. From my perspective, the question I would ask is why anyone would want a smaller screen? Especially if one intended to use it for productivity, as the Mini's keyboard is quite small.

I guess that is why Apple offers the normal size and the Mini. People want different things for different reasons.

11. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

I love the mini and thought I would buy one when the retina model came out. But the Air solved the size and weight issues I was having with my old iPad 3, so I was sold on that immediately. I'd rather have the bigger screen for writing, gaming, browsing, reading, and just about everything else you use a tablet for.

In my opinion, the iPad Air is a cross between the old full sized models and the mini. Best of both worlds.

12. New Apple macrumors regular

with kids growing the larger the better

13. batman75 macrumors 6502a

Mini is too small to watch a movie. In fact it is a generally uncomfortable size for reading and web surfing too.

I bought the air. For a small screen device I have my iPhone 5S.

Don't see any value in the size of the mini.

14. New Apple macrumors regular

i think everything is too small to watch a movie unless you use a 32' inches flat tv

my minimum to see a movie (or a youtube video) is exactly the mini

mini or air it's like wich testicles is the biggest :D:apple:

15. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

If I wanted the mini I would have bought the mini. I choose the Air to replace my iPad 4.

Sounds like you have regrets or a lack of fund$.

16. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

Actually I think quite the opposite, I'm guessing with only a $100 difference, that alot who would have have bought the iPad mini will go ahead and get the iPad Air, with its weight dropping so significantly and it getting smaller with the same size screen. When it was $170 difference, that was free cell or almost 4x size (16 Gb to 64 Gb) for the same price in the smaller, lighter size, now its not as big a deal. Weight is now .73 lbs and 1.00 lbs, where the full size one used to be over twice the weight of the mini.
    -Tig

17. cardfan macrumors 68000

Can't say I've watched many movies on any ipads I've owned including Mini. At home, i watch my much bigger tvs. When out, that 2 hour window to watch a movie just never develops.

For web browsing, i hit my 27" PC or iphone. For reading, I still prefer my iphone. Comics? PC. But they're doable on a Mini.

The only reason I kept the ipad Mini was for games. Kingdom Rush was fun. I'm really into chess. Certain games like that. The full sized ipads are just too big. The Mini is better suited for this type of gaming.

The retina Mini may expand my uses of it. With the promise of crisp text, I may prefer this as my reader. The A7 will speed up things. This is the one.

18. Macalway macrumors 68030

Congratulations!

You are the winner of the "Most useless thread title ever"

Your prize is all the posts that support and condemn your thread

Enjoy

19. Zcott macrumors 68020

You try reading sheet music off an iPad Mini and come back and tell me the Air is useless.

20. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

We are talking 7 vs 9 inches.
    Not 155 vs 157.

In the ipad's case, 2 inches makes a huge difference. And don't forget, it's not about the size, it's how you use it.;)

21. tl01 macrumors 68020

I'll get both. One for home and one for on the go.

22. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

This is a dumb conversation. Its like comparing a Toyota land cruiser to a Toyota Rav 4. Sure they both have 4 wheels but one is smaller and is convenient at times but all in all its cheaper and smaller. I type on my iPad air and its not easy on the mini.

23. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

Ditto. That was the primary reason I bought the Air. Being able to read my newspaper and magazines more comfortably are secondary reasons. Larger videos and games are nice as well.

I still prefer the mini for reading books, and when I toss an iPad in my purse, it will be the mini. That is why I plan to get a retina Mini.

But it is almost impossible to read sheet music on it, and the Air is wonderful for that.

I like and use both sizes. But I can see why both would be preferred by different users. What I don't understand is the need for some to trash the one they don't prefer. Just because I like Coke doesn't mean Pepsi is useless.

24. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I regret buying the 3rd gen, it gets dusty on my desk and I use it only few hours in the weekend and I thought why: because it is too big and heavy.

25. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

I would pay much more for even just extra 1.5 inch. :D