All iPads Does anybody else think that now the Air is pretty much useless?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FatPuppy, Nov 5, 2013.

1. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Thank you!

2. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

I've watched movies on my iPhone 4. Guess you're wrong.

3. cardfan macrumors 68000

It was close though. Those threads where people are griping about a laughable 200mb's on tmobile rank up there.

4. Dduval macrumors regular

That's what she said...twice!

5. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Before she was a she...

6. Dduval macrumors regular

Before she was a "he"

7. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Thanks for sharing that.

Everyone needs to buy what they want! Apple is giving us choice, so let each make it. I bought the mini when it first came out and hated it. Way to small for my tastes. BUT, that is my opinion.

8. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Hmmm, try a mini 2 with that gorgeous 326 retina. Anyway, I see that many of you here misunderstood me, I just shared my opinion about the air and I asked you guys if you feel the same.

9. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

You made a dumb thread and people are mocking it rightfully, just let it go. You don't have to love the iPad Air but calling it useless is just silly.

I have much more use for the large screen and with the redesign I don't have to compromise the weight. It proportionally similar to the mini now.

10. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

And I am sharing mine, The mini is way too small and "toy" like for my tastes. My 128gb LTE Air is exactly what I wanted to replace my iPad 4. Retina has been around for a while now.

Does that get you reved up or what?

Eveyone has an opinion.:rolleyes:

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Think he was being sarcastic....

12. Aetherhole macrumors member

I agree 100%. I had absolutely no intention of getting the iPad Air. I've gone through nearly every iteration of the iPad, except for the iPad mini and the only reason that held me back on that one was the lack of retina display. After the official announcement came of the iPad mini Retina, I fully anticipated going with that one.

Then, after going to the store and trying out the Air, the new form factor solved the issues that I had too, which were the size, weight, and the edges being cumbersome to hold for lengthy periods of time.

Plus the space grey backing is just too damn sexy to resist!

Amen to that!!! I tried using a google nexus 7 and Musicnotes app and it was unreadable. Staff lines didn't always appear and notations were microscopic.

Also, if we are talking about "worthless" I think that the continuation of the iPad 2 is pretty worthless. But, hey, they are still selling, which is probably why Apple still offers it...

13. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

my question is why would you buy a mini for only $100 less. id much rather have the larger screen. oh wait, i do!

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

And the Air is still big, but a lot less heavy.

Have you gone to a store and held one in your hand?

Well sure, the mini is still lighter, but I've been walking around with the Air in my bag for a few days now, and I hardly feel the weight. Big screen yet easy to carry -- it's a win for me!

15. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Me too my friends, me too.

16. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Well, you may have played the movie back on your phone...but its not really possible to truly watch a movie on a freegin phone. I mean, c'mon. Its like saying you are going to listen to a symphony on your crappy mono headphones.

The iPad Mini is the smallest screen id ever consider watching a show or movie on. And, if its an epic movie with great visuals.... forget that..... useless. Maybe When Harry Met Sally would be fine on a phone.

Just saying :)

17. DFZD macrumors 6502

You can watch a movie on iPhone, but not a trilogy like on an iPad. The battery doesn't last. :)

18. banana2000 macrumors newbie

With a smaller screen u always have to zoom in the internet
    which i find pretty annoying:p

19. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

• Reading magazines
    • Reading comics
    • Browsing the web where those extra inches let you see more without zooming in.
    • Playing games, especially board games of which there are a TON of good quality offerings
    • Watching video
    • Editing photographs which the Air excels at when away from home or even out shooting.
    • Working with documents, bigger screen reduces the zoom level required.

I could go on and on about this. I have an Air for home (previously a 3) and a mini for use in work which will get a Retina upgrade. The mini is, ironically, a slightly worse device for productivity for me but worth the trade as it fits easily into a jacket pocket - important when its raining and I need to schlep the quarter mile to a meeting. Ultimately people buy what they want for the tasks and situations they're going to use it for and decide which compromise is worth it. There's certainly no single answer for everyone. Bit of a shame that some people don't seem to understand that.

20. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I really don't care about ultra portability in a tablet because my iPhone is always with me. So I opt for the bigger screen size. If I'm going to be using something other than my iPhone, I want the experience to be appreciably different. The mini screen is just too mini for my liking. Too much zooming in on websites, too small of a screen to prop up on the table and watch a video while doing other stuff. I love having a ballgame up on my iPad while working. The mini is just way too small.

21. JGWolven macrumors regular

Oh I laughed hard. +1

22. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

"Does anybody else think that now the Air is pretty much useless?​

Let me help you OP.....

1. Stand up.

2. Look in mirror

3. Repeat what you said above

4. Ask one self, "Does this make me look stupid in posting this?"

Enough said...:p

23. nabwong macrumors regular

Good luck reading music off the ipad mini. Just because you don't need the regular ipad doesn't mean no one does. What an ignorant society we live in.

24. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I had the Mini and Air side by side this morning doing the same things. They were both supported by their Smart Cover most of the time. Later on I did things on both while holding them instead shifting between both.

In the end, the weight and larger size of the Air was tolerable BUT the experience on each was night and day. I know the Mini I have does not have retina but movies, games, reading, etc etc was a whole new game with the Air.

Hail, hail the Air.

25. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

You know what, maybe the OP is right.

I am sure once an Apple rep sees this post they will recall all iPad Airs and discontinue them.

I think I'll just throw mine in a fire. :p